Prospect Info: World Junior Championships 2024

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I’ve only seen the third period, but Snuggerud has been very good. Two great passes to set up scoring chances and also a couple of good chances himself.

On an unrelated note, I find it very difficult to read the numbers on the backs of the Americans.

Reactions: Blueston

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I’ve only seen the third period, but Snuggerud has been very good. Two great passes to set up scoring chances and also a couple of good chances himself.

On an unrelated note, I find it very difficult to read the numbers on the backs of the Americans.
I was thinking that too. Should've gone with white numbers and a red outline.

USA didn't have a great game. Norway's goalie made some fantastic saves to keep things close though. Snuggerud was one of the more impressive players for USA though. Looked dangerous with the puck on his stick.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Snuggs has a great shot for sure, but how is his play off the puck? Is he physical? Does he backcheck?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
This is the real question. We don’t need another Kyrou :sarcasm:

he can’t be another Kyrou because I see him play In front of the net. Although, I am a Kyrou fan. You can get away with a dynamic one dimensional player like Kyrou if you have enough 2-way players and good defenders to make up for it. You just don’t want too many of Kyrou’s types. You cant deny Kyrou‘s skill level with the puck.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Well, Salomansson takes a stupid boarding penalty 25 seconds into the game, gets a 5 and a game misconduct.

This means Theo Lindstein will get some icetime as he draws into the top 6.

Snuggs has a great shot for sure, but how is his play off the puck? Is he physical? Does he backcheck?
They're not comperable at all. Snuggerud isn't going to be Matthew Tkachuk but he can play physical and drive to the net. He's responsible defensively too but I honestly didn't pay too much attention to that in today's game to know how he did.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Well, Salomansson takes a stupid boarding penalty 25 seconds into the game, gets a 5 and a game misconduct.

This means Theo Lindstein will get some icetime as he draws into the top 6.

They're not comperable at all. Snuggerud isn't going to be Matthew Tkachuk but he can play physical and drive to the net. He's responsible defensively too but I honestly didn't pay too much attention to that in today's game to know how he did.
Lindstein got a lot of ice time killing the 5 minute major.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Lindstein got a lot of ice time killing the 5 minute major.
He’s a defense first d-man and he’s good at it. Started the game listed as the #7 d-man but prime opportunity for him to shine after Salomansson took himself out of the game seconds into the game. He’s looked good so far IMO. ASP is the flashy one you notice but Lindstein has simply been doing his job quietly - defending the rush well, digging it out of the corner getting the puck to an open teammate.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Lindstein scores to put Sweden up 5-0!

Edit: Nevermind, barey tipped by Unger Sorem.

Lindstein with the assist!
And Stenberg’s who made a nice spin move and fed Lindstein for the one-timer so he also got an assist on that goal.

Lindstein with assist #2 to make it 6-0 Sweden. That was admittedly a weak goal the goalie should’ve had but hey, the points still count!

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Lindstein with another primary assist after a smart play in the neutral zone. He reminds me a lot of a smaller (healthy) Blues version of JBo. Good defender, great stick and positioning, and an effortless skater.

Stenberg had an assist on the fifth goal as well. His skating reminds me a lot of Matt Duchene.

I think Sweden would be the team to beat in this tournament, even without the home ice advantage.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Just finished watching the Slovaks pound Czechia. Weird game, refs called a tight game with lots of special teams time. Long writeup incoming...

Thought Dvorsky (#15) played a solid albeit quiet game. Could have added a couple assists if his teammates would've finished some nice cross crease passes on the PP. He was mostly playing the point on the PP, didn't get much opportunity to use his shot. Drew an important penalty driving the net and had some other nice touches in the o-zone. Made a bad defensive read while back checking that lead to the first Czechia goal against. Thought he looked better as the game went along but bit of a "just OK" game from him overall IMO.

First time I've gotten to see a full game from Pekarcik (#19) and I thought he looked pretty good. Like Dvorsky (end the entire Slovak team really) thought he got better as the game went along. He stood out positively on a couple occasions - had a nice assist driving the net off the rush that lead to a rebound goal. Liked what I saw from him, good speed/hustle/puck skills/passing. Pretty sure he got moved up to the 3rd line later in the game so I think the coaches liked his game as well. He might be a player!

Stancl (#21) played pretty well for Czechia is a support role. He was on PK2 as the high man and PP2 netfront. He's a big guy but moved pretty well. He used his size to win battles on the boards/down low and create some chaos in front of the net. First time seeing a full game for him as well and came away pleasantly surprised. He didn't blow the doors off by any means, but thought he was solid.

Couple other notes:
- Hrabal was fighting the puck...very shaky game from him.
- The opposite from Gajan, very impressed with his performance...picking up right were he left off last year.
- Big bummer seeing Jiricek go down with a nasty looking knee/leg injury. Thought Jiricek's tournament (and maybe season) was over after he got tangled up with Perakcik in the corner and went down awkwardly. Was great to see him come back out and play a bit more, but he ended up leaving the game and not returning. Hope he's OK and not out long term, would hate to see his draft season derailed.
- This Slovak team looks legit...they will challenge for a medal with their goaltending and strength at forward, maybe even gold.

Also, just a heads up: you can sign up for a fubo.tv package that include NHL network + DVR and a free 5 day trial. Going to use to watch the first few games at least.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Just finished watching the Sweden vs Latvia game. Frankly, I thought both Stenberg and Lindstein looked small. Not tiny, but smaller than most of the other players. Here's hoping both still have some growing to do....another long writeup incoming:

Stenberg (#25) honestly didn't have a huge impact on the game. Don't think he even had a shift until 1/2 thru the 1st period partly due to the early 5 min major. He was on PP2 and played the slot/bumper position. Wasn't afraid to mix it up and get to the front of the net. Ended with 13:11 in TOI, 1A and a +1. Solid positionally and defensively responsible as advertised.

Thought he moved well. Transported the puck thru the neutral zone, gaining the zone with possession/speed several times...but once in the zone he seemed to default to skating to the outside, circling towards the boards, and either passing the puck high to the dman or continuing to circle and buy time (see the him circling buying time in the highlight posted above^^^). Overall thought he was solid (if not particularly noticeable). It seemed like he was just trying to keep it simple and get used to the flow of the game at this level.

Lindstein (#9) had a much bigger impact on the game, especially considering he was supposed to be the #7 dman. The early 5 min major + game misconduct to Swedish dman Salomonsson gave him an opportunity and you can't say he didn't make the most of it with 2 A, and +2 in 19:41 mins of ice time (3rd most TOI among Swedish dmen). He mostly played with Vancouver 1st rounder Tom Willander and they seemed to play better together as the game went along (took them a couple shifts to get on the same page).

Lindstein made a lot of smart quick plays with the puck, lots of one-touch passing. The puck was on and off his stick, usually to an open teammate, almost immediately. While he looked small, he didn't lose many battles along the boards or in front of the net - even against larger players. He's not tiny (listed at 6' even, 181 lbs) but I think his size might be more of an issue against top teams, hopefully we get to find out if that's the case.

He was aggressive defending the blue line and kept tight gaps. Mostly this worked well and generally he made smart/calculated risks attacking the offensive player...however, he did get burned wide several times when he tried to attack the puck while defending his blueline and couldn't recover fully in time.

Perfect example of this was his second primary assist on the Lettermaki goal. He made a good read and stepped up along the boards in the neutral zone to intercept the puck then skated it back into the offensive zone before making a nice cross ice pass...it was a risky play and there was a Latvian player alone behind him if the puck took a weird bounce and got past him in the neutral zone, but it paid off.

Here's hoping this performance was enought to solidify his place in the lineup moving forward.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Just finished watching the Sweden vs Latvia game. Frankly, I thought both Stenberg and Lindstein looked small. Not tiny, but smaller than most of the other players. Here's hoping both still have some growing to do....another long writeup incoming:

Stenberg (#25) honestly didn't have a huge impact on the game. Don't think he even had a shift until 1/2 thru the 1st period partly due to the early 5 min major. He was on PP2 and played the slot/bumper position. Wasn't afraid to mix it up and get to the front of the net. Ended with 13:11 in TOI, 1A and a +1.

Thought he moved well. Transported the puck thru the neutral zone, gaining the zone with possession/speed several times...but once in the zone he seemed to default to skating to the outside, circling towards the boards, and either passing the puck high to the dman or continuing to circle and buy time (see the him circling buying time in the highlight posted above^^^). Overall thought he was solid (if not particularly noticeable). It seemed like he was just trying to keep it simple and get used to the flow of the game at this level.

Lindstein (#9) had a much bigger impact on the game, especially considering he was supposed to be the #7 dman. The early 5 min major + game misconduct to Swedish dman Salomonsson gave him an opportunity and you can't say he didn't make the most of it with 2 A, and +2 in 19:41 mins of ice time (3rd most TOI among Swedish dmen). He mostly played with Vancouver 1st rounder Tom Willander and they seemed to play better together as the game went along (took them a couple shifts to get on the same page).

Lindstein made a lot of smart quick plays with the puck, lots of one-touch passing. The puck was on and off his stick, usually to an open teammate, almost immediately. While he looked small, he didn't lose many battles along the boards or in front of the net - even against larger players. He's not tiny (listed at 6' even, 181 lbs) but I think his size might be more of an issue against top teams, hopefully we get to find out if that's the case.

He was aggressive defending the blue line and kept tight gaps. Mostly this worked well and generally he made smart/calculated risks attacking the offensive player...however, he did get burned wide several times when he tried to attack the puck while defending his blueline and couldn't recover fully in time.

Perfect example of this was his second primary assist on the Lettermaki goal. He made a good read and stepped up along the boards in the neutral zone to intercept the puck then skated it back into the offensive zone before making a nice cross ice pass...it was a risky play and there was a Latvian player alone behind him if the puck took a weird bounce and got past him in the neutral zone, but it paid off.

Here's hoping this performance was enought to solidify his place in the lineup moving forward.
I mean, IMHO, everyone on the ice looks small on the international ice surface.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I mean, IMHO, everyone on the ice looks small on the international ice surface.
And they’re teenagers, not fully grown men.

Impressive that Lindstein started the game as the #7 d-man and finished 3rd on the team in ice time. Got more time than ASP surprisingly. Maybe ASP didn’t play at all during the 5 min major though? Idk bc it was halfway through the 1st when I turned it on.

I thought Stenberg looked good given his role. He’s 3rd line LW behind 6 19 year olds ahead of him. There were 2 plays where I was quite impressed with the backchecking effort of a Swedish player and I’d go to look at the # and it was #25 both times.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Small sample size but while Dvorsky was quiet in terms of scoring today, he did win 10 of 13 faceoffs.

What isn’t a small sample size is him winning 202 of 327 draws in the OHL so far this season - 62%. Even though he joined the team late, he’s already taken and and won the most draws on the team. I guess if he’s going to win damn near 2/3 of them I’d put him out there for a ton of draws too.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Small sample size but while Dvorsky was quiet in terms of scoring today, he did win 10 of 13 faceoffs.

What isn’t a small sample size is him winning 202 of 327 draws in the OHL so far this season - 62%. Even though he joined the team late, he’s already taken and and won the most draws on the team. I guess if he’s going to win damn near 2/3 of them I’d put him out there for a ton of draws too.
I don't recall what Thomas' faceoff stats were in junior (either like 54% or 64%), but if Dvorsky can keep that up then we might have a great 1-2 punch of offense, defense, and faceoff skill at the center position. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's anyone else in the system who is winning faceoffs like Dvorsky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad