World Cup SF: Sep 11 GDT - Czech Republic vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

High flyin' Habs*

Staze19 said:
Your peabrain is incapable of multitasking because it is so small.
When you devote all of your brainpower to whining about why that mullet-sporting Hell's Angel beneficiary didn't get the start in net for Canada it prevents your peabrain from focusing on anything else.
Thus, your peabrain is rendered incapable of finding the highlights over the internet at the same time.

Your mind is in overload right now. You are rattled. You made probably 15 posts in this thread earlier on today about why Theodore should get the start. Now that you have returned to the thread after the game and people are being critical of Luongo's play, you think, "wow, I knew it all along, I am just so smart!" To you, others being critical of Luogo's play automatically confirms your earlier beliefs. Since you are so sure that you have been right all along it is eating at your mind and driving you insane; everybody else is wrong and you were right all along! Yet nobody believes you!
The only thing you can do now is let it go and accept the fact that Theodore didn't get the start. Tell yourself you were right all along if it helps the process.
If you stop trying to trash Luongo and make up excuses for Theodore in all of your many many posts it may free up some brainpower and allow you to focus and actually find the highlights.
Otherwise, you are doomed.

Hey smart mouth,,, why dont you just tell me where I can find the highlights and we'll all get along. :)

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Wow, how did I survived this game is beyond me. I thought that I was going to have an heart attack. The Czechs were dominating the whole game. Canada was darn lucky to win this one. The Czechs were in control from start to finish. Well maybe not the finish. It's too bad for them but as a Canadian, I'm not complaining.

Although the Thornton line was good, it's not the best scoring line. The reason it was so much on the ice was because that line was to counter the Jagr line. I don't think that that strategy is the best because by doing that, we were at the mercy of the Czechs. They were the ones who dictated the lines and all we did was following them. We have 4 very good lines and we should have played all 4 lines like we did throughout this tournament. Some people said that St-Louis was invisible. Well of course he was when he barely had a chance to play. That strategy slowed us down and it was hard to created much chances. As soon as the Czechs had the Jagr line on, we had to switch. It just kills any momemtum.

We simply had TOO MUCH respect for the Czechs. The fact that we changed strategy indicates that the Canadian management considers the Czechs a greater danger than the others. The lost to the Czechs in Nagano had such a HUGE impact on Canadian hockey that to this day and it was apparent.

Luongo is clearly not Brodeur although it was his first real game so maybe it's unfair to compare considering the number of games played. I still think that Brodeur is better and with him out, I think it affected Canadians confidence a little bit and respectively gavee more confidence to the Czechs. Luongo nonetheless was solid.

One last thing, what are picks? I keep hearing that but I have no idea what they are.

Last edited:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Sting004 said:
Heart? I didn't see any from the Czechs. Sure, they really took it to Canada in the offensive zone...they were just throwing pucks at the net like mad. They also got physically destroyed tonight...I'm not sure if the Czechs landed more than a couple hits.

The only reason I was happy for the Czechs was seeing Havlat score - mind you, it wasn't at a good time :)

As for Luongo, he's good...but he's no Brodeur right now. The first goal was a fluke...the second was one he should've had; Havlat shouldn't have been uncovered either though. The third he was completely screened on and it deflected, so you can't really blame him for that. Nonetheless...the game likely would not have gone to OT if Brodeur was in.
I did not realize that a puck on a players stick with an open net was must have for a goalie. The Czechs smartly moved the puck back to the middle for a shot and three guys funnelled to the net. There were guys open everywhere. How the hell is he supposed to stop that?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
x-bob said:
Luongo and Theodore are clearly better the Kipper.....anyways. Go Canada

Based on what? Did you watch the Stanley Cup playoffs last year?? Christ, he was amazing game in and game out against some amazing offensive talent... and he's still playing extremely well against the best talent in the world. What more proof do you need?

Basically, my point was that Kipper is every bit as good as Canada's two backups *now* (maybe not a year ago but that's a different story). Melrose was being a homer when he acted like Kipper shouldn't even be named in the same breath.
Period.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Zippy said:
Based on what? Did you watch the Stanley Cup playoffs last year?? Christ, he was amazing game in and game out against some amazing offensive talent... and he's still playing extremely well against the best talent in the world. What more proof do you need?

Basically, my point was that Kipper is every bit as good as Canada's two backups *now* (maybe not a year ago but that's a different story). Melrose was being a homer when he acted like Kipper shouldn't even be named in the same breath.
Period.

How about 2-3 years playing over 60 games as a starter while putting up top 5 numbers? :dunno:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Zippy said:

Period.

Agreed

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
windowlicker said:
How about 2-3 years playing over 60 games as a starter while putting up top 5 numbers? :dunno:

Luongo only put top 5 numbers this year. And Theodore has posted top 5 numbers only in his hart and vezina years.

Kiprusoff has proved you could ride him to the cup. It's enough for me to say he's at least on par with Theodore and Luongo.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
E = CH² said:
Luongo only put top 5 numbers this year. And Theodore has posted top 5 numbers only in his hart and vezina years.

Kiprusoff has proved you could ride him to the cup. It's enough for me to say he's at least on par with Theodore and Luongo.

The Cup ride was following a 39 game regular season. I'd like to see how fresh and sharp he would be following a +60 season as a starter.
Still, his next season (whenever that is) will be a telling one. After a near 300% raise, Sutter will definetaly treat Miikaa like a 3 million dollar starter, which means +65 starts (barring injury).

High flyin' Habs*

windowlicker said:
The Cup ride was following a 39 game regular season. I'd like to see how fresh and sharp he would be following a +60 season as a starter.
Still, his next season (whenever that is) will be a telling one. After a near 300% raise, Sutter will definetaly treat Miikaa like a 3 million dollar starter, which means +65 starts (barring injury).

Exactly. Im pretty sure that Kipper's performance last season was a fluke. We'll see what he can do in a full NHL season.

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
I just noticed this while watching the highlights on the World Cup website, but right before Elias scores to make it 3-3, just before he shoots, Bob Cole goes "Not another quick one!", like he could tell it was going to happen.

High flyin' Habs*

I just saw the highlights and I can say that the ACC was really into the game and was much louder than the other games played in TO. Anyone agree?

Feb 24, 2004
I made a post about it, we discuss it in there. Called "What does everyone think...." but quickly, ya, it seemed really into it.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
smoothskater said:
Im pretty sure that Kipper's performance last season was a fluke.
A fluke? A stick save or two is a fluke, a few shots off the goalposts are a fluke; great goaltending down the stretch and throughout the playoffs is not a fluke, it's a streak, one continued through the World Cup. The Kipper has skill, though how much may be an open question.

San Jose Sharks fans know full well how great he can play. When Nabokov was injured a couple of years back, Kiprusoff started against St. Louis in the playoffs and was the best player on the ice, on either team, as the broadcasters pointed out at the time. St. Louis took the series simply because the Sharks couldn't score, losing 1-0 and 2-1 games off of screened and deflected goals.

I remember San Jose fans saying that Kiprusoff looked better than Nabokov, but that his role as backup was due to the pretty good play by the goaltender with a bit more experience (and there was a contract issue too).

Anyways, Kiprusoff played good hockey when he first came into the league, so his play this year isn't even just a streak.

And, he DID play an entire season in 2004 if you add his regular season and playoff starts together, and mighty fine too. :o

Can he sustain an entire season AND a deep Cup run? Well, maybe we'll see. (But don't count on the other conference teams to give the Flames a second chance.)

Kiprusoff is clearly an above average goaltender, in the top third of starters, unless you want to name 10 NHL goalies who'll play better. And, so far this year, he has been on a streak as hot as any.

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Fish on The Sand said:
Czechs are going to win. Unless :lol Luonga :lol has anything to say about it. God I love Bob Cole.

Did you hear Neale refer to Canada as The Leafs? Time for the home for the pair of them.

Great game. I thought the tournement had been a little boring until tonight. This was good fast hockey, and Canada was lucky Jagr didn't cash in a few.

Geese_Howard*

smoothskater said:
I just saw the highlights and I can say that the ACC was really into the game and was much louder than the other games played in TO. Anyone agree?

yah it was much better then the other games, i was there today and it was rockin, first 2 games were horrid, but today, man was the atmosphere great

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Chaos said:
who knows what would have ahppened with Brodeur in net...would he have robbed Hejduk twice(once in OT), Dopita right in front of the net? For all we know, Brodeur could have given up 7 goals had he been in net.

Exactly. People cannot just assume as fact that Brodeur would have stopped everything and automatically won this game even had he not been injured. Stating the obvious here but hockey is a sport where anything unpredictable can happen at any time, especially in 1-game elimination rounds.

People assumed Sweden would have got by, or at worse, put up a good one verse the Czechs with their high-powered Swede offense... yet did most predict Sweden would be BOTH dominated offensively and defensively by letting in 6 goals and only be able to score 1 goal for themselves in such a lopsided result?? Probably not!

Again point is anything could have happened. For all we know Elias could have told his fellow country-men where its best to shoot on Marty and let in the same amount of goals, more, less, or none at all...we'll never know! Brodeur is only human, he can have bad nights and bad playoff series (did a lot of people predict the Flyers would win the series 4-1 against Brodeur and his Devils this year?). I apologize if it seems like I'm putting down Brodeur, but that is not my intention and in fact, I'm with the majority that would rather have had Brodeur in net than Luongo... but to say or imply that Brodeur would have been a garenteed victory for Canada is ridiculous!

I'm trying to be as objective as possible and I'll say one thing, for all we know it could have been a lot worse result for Canada had the Czech team known ahead of time that Luongo was going to be the starter tonight and better prepared themselves with more practice and video footage of Roberto's weaknesses.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Canuck21t said:
One last thing, what are picks? I keep hearing that but I have no idea what they are.

Like a block, similar to the one's in basketball. Techincally illegal, but in mild form allowed. Pretty much essential in today's hockey.

Tume

Dec 23, 2003
Finland
If Luongo and Theodore are so much better than Kipper why haven't they carried their teams to Stanley Cup finals?

velimiiro

Tume said:
If Luongo and Theodore are so much better than Kipper why haven't they carried their teams to Stanley Cup finals?

Because they didn't feel like it

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
lafite said:
I thought the tournement had been a little boring until tonight. This was good fast hockey.
Another person who missed the Finn-Swede game. It was anything but boring from the get go until the end of overtime.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Kasparov said:
Everyone who is worried Canada will lose, and predicting Czech win, i hope you come back and apologize for being so crazy when Canada kicks the Czech's asses!

yes, the canadians won but the czechs all-but kicked Canadian ass, ´cause they were and played way better than expected..
:handclap:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Raimo Sillanpää said:
yes, the canadians won but the czechs all-but kicked Canadian ass, ´cause they were and played way better than expected..
:handclap:

Hardly. The Canadians dominated the game physically. The Czechs held onto the puck and cycled a lot more...and took shots from the outside. On the other end, Canada was busy overpowering the Czechs and scoring quality goals. Not like the first Czech one which was completely a fluke.

The difference tonight imo wasn't the goalies - it was the defense. Canada's defense, while they didn't play their best game, was much better than the Czech defense.

Canada is twice the team the Czech's are...unfortunately this was easily Canada's worst game of the tournament.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
I actually thought the Canadian defence was one of the weaker spots of the game last night. I also think that if we had Pronger, Blake, and Jovo in the lineup, the Czechs wouldn't have been able to swarm us in our own zone the way they did last night. Didn't matter in the end though. But please Canada, come out better against Finland!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad