World Cup SF: Sep 11 GDT - Czech Republic vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Wow, what a game !

Funny how Canada outplays the Czechs in 98 but lose, and now the opposite happens. That's sports for you !

This was a game where the offense clearly outshone the defense. Good for hockey in an entertainment way.

Canada's young defense had trouble handling the Czechs' determination. I think Redden should go back in, as he is adept at getting the puck out of his zone, where Canada struggled most last night. Boy did they miss Pronger out there, and Blake too ! I thought Niedermayer had a poor game.

Loungo was solid considering the rust factor. Yes, the 3rd goal was soft, but he made a few amazing saves as well.

Canada's shot total should have been higher, perhaps 30-35, but they had many, many chances in the slot hop over their sticks, flubbed, or shot high or wide.

The Czechs outplayed Canada, but quality scoring chances were close. Unfortunately Canada had trouble with the "hands" a few times.

I wish I had taped that game.

This game was not surprising to me at all, as I thought the Czechs were going to beat Sweden easily, and was very afraid of them beating Canada.

It's nice to have some breaks and get the win after repeated shootout BS over the years.

Prince Mercury

Apr 7, 2004
Fort McMurray
lafite said:
Did you hear Neale refer to Canada as The Leafs? Time for the home for the pair of them.

I did notice that, and I was waiting for one of them to correct it. Oh well. I suppose their logic is that the Team Canada symbol is a maple leaf. :D They probably got confused because it was in the ACC and Canada was playing pretty poorly at the time.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
Amen. Finally somebody said it. I think the refs did a tremendous job of letting them play throughout the game.

though a few whistels could've gone both ways.

VanIslander said:
There's a long tradition of doing so as the playoffs go on in the NHL. Refs only call the most flagrant infractions then. If you've seen some playoff series between the Avs and Red Wings you'd know what I mean.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
for sure. i just feel fortunate that i moved to canada from the states though i miss quite a lot of things that are truly american.

but it won't make much difference now with the lockout and all, oh well at least there is other leagues to watch, plus play for our hockey team :innocent:

Trottier said:
That is unbelievable. And sad.

If anyone actually believes that this great sport will ever be embraced by a mass market in the US, that is all you need to know. If it was of any significant appeal, even the nimrods at ESPN (Boo-ya this, Stuart Scott) wouldn't be in such a rush to switch programming.

Sorry for those who missed it.

Being an NHL fan in the States is like falling in love with a girl who everyone else finds ordinary (or worse) compared to her more attractive sisters (NFL, NBA, NASCAR, etc.). She's never going to win any popularity contests, but as long as you see the beauty, to heck with everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad