World Cup QF: Sep 7 GDT - Sweden vs. Czech Rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Predatore said:
Reg Forsberg,
Has everyone forgot that Forsberg is more than one month behind all players in terms of practice? It was for a long time unsure if he'd even dress up for Sweden.
I would be surprised if he was able to even give 50%.

The player people should be concentrating on is Markus Näslund, if you have that urge to single out players.

I agree. Naslund was invisible.

I was just commenting on the fact that if Forsberg's being taken off his game that easily then he cannot be the games best. If he is hurt or not in game shape, that's a different story all together.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Garfield said:
Then he can't be considered the games best if he's put off his game that easily. Other star players are subject to the same abuse.

Sure you can say that. There's no question that Forsberg would be a better player if he didn't get frustrated so easily, but when he's healthy and on his game he's the best.

If he is hurt or not in game shape, that's a different story all together.

He was still dealing with that nagging abdominal injury that plagued him all of last season during this tournament. Not an excuse for him not to produce but it was clear that he's not 100%. Of course the injury thing is another issue all together with Forsberg.

Last edited:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Predatore said:
I was just about to quote your prediction and give you a :handclap:
;)

Yeah, I deserve a :handclap: for predicting the apocalypse. How many "real" prophets ever manage that? ;)

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Spaceace said:
The Sweden players are soft and not physical at all. Sweden put out an APB on Naslund.

I'm a Flames fan so you can take this with a grain of salt but........ I thought Marcus Nilson played a very physical tournament and was one of the more consistent forwards on Team Sweden. He's not offensive like the others but he was valuable defensively and physically IMO.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
Predatore said:
As for Sweden.. we will be back in 10-20 years! :)

More likely it will be 20 years because this is probably the last time our "stars" play together. In the future we will have less talented players with the same attitude as today's players. :(

If we had lost because our goalie isn't good enough I wouldn't have a problem with it since it's a known problem but this is too much.

BTW, do we have AHL fans here? Can anyone tell me that Johan Holmqvist is that much worse than Tellqvist? I don't think so but please tell me I'm wrong and that coach Nilsson made the right decision to use Tellqvist while Holmqvist wasn't even in the squad.

The Hockey News said:
Tellqvist showed promise in his short stints last year but, but was generally mediocre at the American league level.

Poikilitic

Apr 1, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Man i hate Jagr!!!!
My thanks to Fred Modin
Mats Sundin and best of all Tomas Holmström. Player for Sweden.
And Alfredsson ( a little )

Im just sad that this is probably the last tournament for many players. It it was their last chance.

I thought we could have pulled it off but after losing 3-0. They all gave up. I dont know what Hardy Nilsson told them half time, but it didnt work. For this im afraid Nilsson is gone.
As for Sverige....See you guys in Olympics in China!

Once again Thank you Holmström!

Now who too cheer for?
HEJA SVERIGE.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Wow, what a beating. I never thought it would get this rough.
Czech were away ahead of swedes, earned win.

Jagr forechecking and giving some hits, that was something I've never seen.

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
sweden deservedly lost tonite, worst game by team sweden all tournament. If you play that bad at this point, you deserve to go out. :shakehead

glad that czechs won when they want to play they are very exciting and tournament would miss not having them. :banana:

sweden we can do without, they just did not "work" this tournament. :dunno:

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
We always suck when it counts, thats a fact, at least for this generation and much can be blamed on our worthless coach hardy Nilsson, but not everything.

- Why didn't he play the best goalie, Lundqvist ? Of course it's easy to say afterwards but many claimed that he should be the number one before the tournament

- Why don't bench some players, like Näslund ? Why don't rotate a bit like tge other teams did ? Now the "stars" felt safe about a place in the line-up and didn'nt have to work.

Kick Hardy !

Congrats Czech for a deserved place in the semifinals !

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Fulcrum said:
Im just sad that this is probably the last tournament for many players. It it was their last chance.

They had their change, but they wasted it. Playing like a sheeps at important game like this :(

kjri

Mar 18, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Predatore said:
Congrats Czech Fans! :handclap:

Excellent effort by the Czech Republic. More or less flawless defense and excellent offense + solid goaltending. Perfect.

As for Sweden.. we will be back in 10-20 years! :)

Is it bye, bye Hardy? I think that will do good to Sweden.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Predatore said:
Has everyone forgot that Forsberg is more than one month behind all players in terms of practice? It was for a long time unsure if he'd even dress up for Sweden.
I would be surprised if he was able to even give 50%.

The player people should be concentrating on is Markus Näslund, if you have that urge to single out players.

Exactly. Naslund was the biggest disappointment for Sweden. Maybe Sundin is next.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
kjri said:

The director of the swedish ice hockey federation just said that they will not kick Hardy Nilsson. I was a Hardy supporter for a long time but this is just too much. I want his head on a plate so that I can piss on it.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
kjri said:

Unfortunately I do not think so.

First Hardy was interviewed in the TV-studio. Well, not interviewed but actually slaughtered by the host, who constantly questioned his abilities as a coach. (Hardy kept his cool though, very surprisingly.. I thought he would walk out from the "interview".

Then the big boss of the federation, Christer Englund, was interviewed. He was asked the question "Will Hardy be fired, will you do anything about this". Englund answered "No, will not do anything" ... more or less.

But I guess there is still a possibility that Hardy walks out himself, although he has said that he wants to continue to coach team Sweden.

D-iceman

Aug 31, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
The only positive thing i can find in this game is that Finland won't have a chance against Czech Republic either. Now if they will ever play each other.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
D-iceman said:
The only positive thing i can find in this game is that Finland won't have a chance against Czech Republic either. Now if they will ever play each other.

No, speak for the Swedes, the Finns may actually show up.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Predatore said:
Unfortunately I do not think so.

First Hardy was interviewed in the TV-studio. Well, not interviewed but actually slaughtered by the host, who constantly questioned his abilities as a coach. (Hardy kept his cool though, very surprisingly.. I thought he would walk out from the "interview".

Then the big boss of the federation, Christer Englund, was interviewed. He was asked the question "Will Hardy be fired, will you do anything about this". Englund answered "No, will not do anything" ... more or less.

But I guess there is still a possibility that Hardy walks out himself, although he has said that he wants to continue to coach team Sweden.

I honestly beleive that Hardy is part of the problem with Team Sweden. On the one hand, the team did not show up to play and got schooled by a great Czech team.

On the other hand, he should be blamed for the team's performance on the ice and the selections he made for the team that played on the ice. What I never understood is why Hardy stuck with Tellqvist. Tellqvist showed poor stick skills and got scored on quite a few times for not putting his stick down on the ice at all. Not only that but more often that not he committed to shots WAY too early giving the opposing puck handler an easy score. Also, why wasn't Henrik Lundqvist used at all? Russia has a netminder who has no NHL experience why not put Lundqvist in net during the round-robin play?

I really got the feeling that if any of the NHL players were not giving their all like Brett Hull Hardy would have been too afraid to bench any of them.

Mr. Penguin

Aug 30, 2004
Finland
Could someone translate this, please. Mig Svenska inte bra. :help:

Foppa: "Det är synd att vi är så bedrövliga. Vi släpper till och de får 2-0 och så kontrar de mycket bra, försökte Foppa förklara fiaskot för TV3."

"Hardy Nilsson tänker sitta kvar på sin post, om han själv får bestämma.
- Vi har uppnått hyggliga resultat de senaste åren och jag tycker fortfarande att det är kul, säger förbundskaptenen till TV3."

Poikilitic

Apr 1, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
who is Sweden's goalie coach?
Tell him to teach Telly to put his stick in between his legs. it helps sometimes. SOMETIMES.
But this game wasent at all his fault. No one showed up. Tre Kronor floating on ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad