World Cup of Hockey Boycott

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The other reason is pretty simple...
"We're so upset you didn't give us the events we wanted, so we're not gonig to the event you did give us!"
...doesn't exactly convey the intended message.:laugh:

Tickets will be sold whether people attend or not.

But some piss poor TV ratings will make them re-consider the format.

Much like TV ratings helped drive the Leafs to their current rebuild.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The other reason is pretty simple...
"We're so upset you didn't give us the events we wanted, so we're not gonig to the event you did give us!"
...doesn't exactly convey the intended message.:laugh:
Let's be realistic the only reason Toronto got this tourney is because no other city could sell it out.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
And since 1998, hockey has latched onto the Winter Games' previous 100 years of meaning behind the gold medal. Less cities want to host the Olympics now, but that's true of both summer and winter, and it doesn't make the 100 metre race, swimming or hockey competitions any less relevant. Any European hockey player always preferred the Olympics to the World Cup, and now that's true of Canadians and Americans too.

I don't dispute that the league and the PA stand to gain from this tourney. But only because they can make lots of money. The glory will continue to come from the Olympics as long as they are allowed to play there. Funny how you think I have no vision when it's the World Cup/Canada Cup tournament themselves that had no vision to put on a tournament in 2000 or 2008 or 2012 to have the continuity of a tournament every 4 years. At this point, the NHL can't just slap its stamp on a tournament and make the players care. A new NHL tournament will be as relevant as a startup soccer tournaments that wants to replace the FIFA World Cup.

How do you know the players won't care about the world cup? Pulling things out of your ass?

The players have a stake in the tournament because of how revenues are split. So they will care to make the event a success so they can continue to drive revenues.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Agreed. It's embarrassing to call this a World Cup when you see what goes into World Cup for other sports.

Even 'Canada Cup' would have been find. But it's not a World Cup when Canadians are playing against Canadians.

Its been explained over and over that the U23 and Euro teams are short term. Long term when they have a qualification process in place, they will add more actual countries to the traditional 6.

Again some of you guys are so short sighted. Its impossible to have the history of say the FIFA world cup, which has been around for decades and decades. The goal is to get to that point. You have to start somewhere. Unfortunately at this time hockey really only has enough elite talent to field 6 teams. The next tier of 6 teams would be made up of primarily non NHL talent. So how do you decide which 2 of those 6 should get into the competition? Next go around they can have a qualification process and include 2 B level teams.

Over time the tournament will evolve and grow. Olympic participation will likely stop, and this will become the premiere best on best hockey tournament. An event that is making the NHL owners and players money instead of those gangsters in the IOC is going to get my support every day of the week. To me that is something to celebrate. In 10 years or so you guys who are complaining now will be talking about how great this thing is.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Let's be realistic the only reason Toronto got this tourney is because no other city could sell it out.

I think most canadian cities (Montreal doesn't count) would sell the event out.

The great thing about Toronto is you have a larger base of people to draw from, we generally have more money to spend, and we're the centre of corporate canada.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think most canadian cities (Montreal doesn't count) would sell the event out.

The great thing about Toronto is you have a larger base of people to draw from, we generally have more money to spend, and we're the centre of corporate canada.
Maybe the NHL saw the crowds Montreal got at the World Juniors in 2015 when Canada was not playing at the Bell Centre, so that's why Toronto was given every World Cup game and there is guaranteed to be games at the Air Canada Centre which does not involve Canada.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Its been explained over and over that the U23 and Euro teams are short term. Long term when they have a qualification process in place, they will add more actual countries to the traditional 6.

Again some of you guys are so short sighted. Its impossible to have the history of say the FIFA world cup, which has been around for decades and decades. The goal is to get to that point. You have to start somewhere. Unfortunately at this time hockey really only has enough elite talent to field 6 teams. The next tier of 6 teams would be made up of primarily non NHL talent. So how do you decide which 2 of those 6 should get into the competition? Next go around they can have a qualification process and include 2 B level teams.

Over time the tournament will evolve and grow. Olympic participation will likely stop, and this will become the premiere best on best hockey tournament. An event that is making the NHL owners and players money instead of those gangsters in the IOC is going to get my support every day of the week. To me that is something to celebrate. In 10 years or so you guys who are complaining now will be talking about how great this thing is.

And why do European hockey federations go along with this plan to replace the Olympics with an NHL-run tournament as the premiere best on best hockey tournament? It's gonna be tough to field proper best-on-best teams without the blessing of the Russian, Czech and Finnish federations.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA

I've heard this explanation but it makes no sense. There are plenty of ways the league could have determined which teams would fill out the tournament from Denmark, Switzerland, etc. if they wanted to. (World rankings, world championship results, have a brief tournament, which nations have the most NHL players, etc.) I don't believe it for a second. They want to see if the format works.

It's not the only reason I won't watch the tournament, but it's one.

As for a boycott, we've seen what happened after lockouts or strikes in various sports. Only MLB has ever suffered even a temporary effect. It won't have any significant impact. If people stay away it will be because they simply aren't interested.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
It's more the draft to be honest, and the Winter Classic, no one is fussing overly hard on the ASG.

Blame the Leafs. These are events team's apply for. Talk with anyone that's worked in an NHL office.

The NHL does not just pick randomly out of a hat, or ban others from it.

The World Cup of Hockey ranks pretty high on a lot of actual hockey fans lists in seeing. But booooo hooooooooo...... DEM OTHAR TEEMS GAT ALLL THE AL STARS GAME! :cry:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Blame the Leafs. These are events team's apply for. Talk with anyone that's worked in an NHL office.

The World Cup of Hockey ranks pretty high on a lot of actual hockey fans lists in seeing. But booooo hooooooooo...... DEM OTHAR TEEMS GAT ALLL THE AL STARS GAME! :cry:

It's really not.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
From at looks like the NHL is going out of its way to shun the Toronto Maple Leafs for their 100th anniversary.

The Winter Classic goes to NBC darlings and an Expansion Six market, the All-Star Game goes to Los Angele and the NHL Draft goes to a mini dynasty that might not even have a first round pick. The Heritage Classic is probably pending on the shoe dropping on another issue. Bill Daley doesn't talk about the centennial like a real priority. This definitely doesn't look and feel like the Habs 100th when they got the royal treatment.

Toronto is also hosting the World Cup of Hockey, which feels like a gimmicky cash grab designed to milk the GTA for every penny its got to fund NHL misadventures elsewhere. It has nothing to do with the Leafs and looks like a circus event. Fans are usually pretty powerless under the reign of Bettman, but maybe Leafs fans should think about boycotting this event so we hit them where it really counts...

Hopefully we can get our radio stations like Leafs Lunch and local bloggers and writers to start thinking about this. The NHL has taken our market for granted as a cash cow for way too long and enough is enough.

Stephen, you have my vote

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I've heard this explanation but it makes no sense. There are plenty of ways the league could have determined which teams would fill out the tournament from Denmark, Switzerland, etc. if they wanted to. (World rankings, world championship results, have a brief tournament, which nations have the most NHL players, etc.) I don't believe it for a second. They want to see if the format works.

It's not the only reason I won't watch the tournament, but it's one.

As for a boycott, we've seen what happened after lockouts or strikes in various sports. Only MLB has ever suffered even a temporary effect. It won't have any significant impact. If people stay away it will be because they simply aren't interested.

I believe Cynick is absolutely dead wrong here.

Has anyone given any thought to where all these Non NHL players would come from to fill out the other nations?

Like the SEL who's season starts the exact same week or

how about the KHL , who would be into week 2 of their regular season.

does anyone think they will shift their leagues so they can lend us their players so the NHL/NHLPA can make more money?

Like really?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

So instead of giving Toronto the All Star Game for the Leafs 100th anniversary the NHL gives it to Los Angeles for their 50th anniversary.

What reason does Chicago have for hosting the 2017 draft when they are not even celebrating something that season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad