World Cup of Hockey Boycott

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well I wasn't all that interested in the first place, so not a problem boycotting it.

Plenty else on that will be of more interest than this.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I believe that expansions are not allowed to draft 1st overall in their first year of existence. At least naturally. They can still trade up for 1st overall (which Atlanta did).

Also, all young players (ELC's) are automatically protected from being picked in the expansion draft.

Bettman was talking about changing all that to make the expansion teams more competitive

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Definitely not watching. I normally watch a few games a night as well, Bettman/Daly have really P***** me off with this BS though, boycotting everything NHL related (excluding the maple leafs)

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Really glad someone finally started a World Cup thread. I'm very excited for the event, and the fact that its in our backyard is extra special, especially to kick off our 100th anniversary.

Its going to be really special to not only see the normal national teams play each other, but also the idea of seeing the young guns on one team. Cant think of another time we'll see McDavid and Eichel on the same team. Thats going to be special.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Really glad someone finally started a World Cup thread. I'm very excited for the event, and the fact that its in our backyard is extra special, especially to kick off our 100th anniversary.

Its going to be really special to not only see the normal national teams play each other, but also the idea of seeing the young guns on one team. Cant think of another time we'll see McDavid and Eichel on the same team. Thats going to be special.

What happens when Canada and the USA respectively decide that they want McDavid and Eichel on their teams? Who gets first choice on these players? I'd guess the national teams first.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
You're going to boycott a tournament where all the best players in the world play hard because you didn't get a game where all the best players float around?

Watching the same players play in competitive matches in October sure beats watching them play in a meaningless preseason tournament in September.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

Yeah, it's so special. Let's watch guys play at ~all-star game intensity for a team that was contrived for this pointless cash grab event. Woohoo!

It's also going to be soooo special watching Zdeno Chara proudly represent Team Europe!

The climax will be when Team North America under 23 face team Europe for the prestigious prize in the final of this "World Cup" tournament.

This tournament really does a lot to legitimize the sport of hockey on the global level!

I can't wait.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Wouldn't even think about giving MLSE any more of my money. They at least 5 digits (no decimals) already.

For the chance to see an outdoor game? At double the price? This team?

I'll let the guys looking to take selfles and post to social media dip into their wallets.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
What happens when Canada and the USA respectively decide that they want McDavid and Eichel on their teams? Who gets first choice on these players? I'd guess the national teams first.
The 'main' teams can't take any U23 players, I believe Dean Lombardi already inquired about taking Eichel and was told he couldn't.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The 'main' teams can't take any U23 players, I believe Dean Lombardi already inquired about taking Eichel and was told he couldn't.

I think this team could really surprise! I wonder if Nylander will get a try-out or if there's a pre-requisite of NHL experience.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I think this team could really surprise! I wonder if Nylander will get a try-out or if there's a pre-requisite of NHL experience.
Unfortunately I think the U-23 is North America only and it's unlikely Nylander makes Team Sweden so we'll have to settle for watching a Calder-worthy NHL season from him. :nod:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A few months ago it was reported that Dean Lombardi wanted the NHL to make an exception and let Jack Eichel play for the United States and was told that won't happen.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
I don't care for it anyway. I've said this a few times.

1) 20% (2/5 Teams) are not Countries
2) It's impossible to see your Countries best roster assembled
3) It's an obvious attempt to be the Olympics
4) The countries have been handpicked and has no competition to get in

I will probably watch a couple games but that's about it and I had no intention of going in the first place.

Love the math in #1

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If I was Shanny I would tell the NHL to shove the out door game up their rear end as well....

It is a joke that we get none of the big events...The Leafs have been subsidizing the whole NHL for years...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Honestly, not just the NHL, but the whole of Canada doesn't seem to care about Leafs being 100.
I can still remember hearing all sorts of stuff about the Habs....but what have the Leafs really done to promote its 100 yrs old?

There will be plenty When it is their 100th....which is next season

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Yeah, it's so special. Let's watch guys play at ~all-star game intensity for a team that was contrived for this pointless cash grab event. Woohoo!

It's also going to be soooo special watching Zdeno Chara proudly represent Team Europe!

The climax will be when Team North America under 23 face team Europe for the prestigious prize in the final of this "World Cup" tournament.

This tournament really does a lot to legitimize the sport of hockey on the global level!

I can't wait.

I may be in the minority here but I don't mind the limited number of chosen countries and two non national teams. The worst part of the Olympics and WJC are all the games against countries who can't keep up with the likes of Canada, Sweden, U.S. and Russia. This format keeps all the games competitive and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the U23 team that ultimately raises the excitement level of the tournament. They will be fired up to prove themselves against the best in the NHL in what essentially serves as an Olympic/national team audition for 2018. None of the veteran national teams will want to lose to a U-23 team either, so they'll have to bring it as well.

And ya sure the stakes aren't as high as the Olympics and the players won't be in mid-season form but it should still be exciting hockey to watch at a time when there is nothing else.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
A few months ago it was reported that Dean Lombardi wanted the NHL to make an exception and let Jack Eichel play for the United States and was told that won't happen.

If I were Jack Eichel, or, Connor McDavid for that matter, I'd tell the NHL that I'll play for my country, or, I don't play in the tournament at all! :rant:

This is stupid that they invited countries to participate, then, tell the young guns they can't play for their respective countries.

Maybe the NHL should have just allowed for more than 1 team per country, where said countries have sufficient quality players to do so.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If I were Jack Eichel, or, Connor McDavid for that matter, I'd tell the NHL that I'll play for my country, or, I don't play in the tournament at all! :rant:

This is stupid that they invited countries to participate, then, tell the young guns they can't play for their respective countries.

Maybe the NHL should have just allowed for more than 1 team per country where said countries have sufficient quality players to do so.
I agree because if these young players have already played for their country at the Word Juniors and World Championships, how can the NHL tell them you can not play for them at the World Cup. However I guess the NHL didn't want the flood gates to open where the Americans getting exceptions and Canada would not be allowed to select Connor McDavid.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Its going to be really special to not only see the normal national teams play each other, but also the idea of seeing the young guns on one team. Cant think of another time we'll see McDavid and Eichel on the same team. Thats going to be special

What are they playing for? A cup? An Olympic gold medal? I don't see anything special about playing for nothing. Though I suppose it would be special to watch McDavid and Karlsson play together too but that won't ever happen.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

Nathan MacKinnon has a pretty good case for making the big Team.

Same with Johnny Gaudreau

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The NHL is rigging next years draft for us. shh, dont tell anyone.

Why do we need to have the 2017 draft rigged? If anything, I'd rather they see to it that we land Mathews in the upcoming 2016 draft. :D

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I may be in the minority here but I don't mind the limited number of chosen countries and two non national teams. The worst part of the Olympics and WJC are all the games against countries who can't keep up with the likes of Canada, Sweden, U.S. and Russia. This format keeps all the games competitive and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the U23 team that ultimately raises the excitement level of the tournament. They will be fired up to prove themselves against the best in the NHL in what essentially serves as an Olympic/national team audition for 2018. None of the veteran national teams will want to lose to a U-23 team either, so they'll have to bring it as well.

And ya sure the stakes aren't as high as the Olympics and the players won't be in mid-season form but it should still be exciting hockey to watch at a time when there is nothing else.

Let's not kid ourselves though. What are they actually competing for?

Preseason NHL hockey is also relatively competitive, with, as you mentioned, young guys trying to prove themselves, etc. That sure isn't complimentary of what is supposed to be a major international sporting event--the "World Cup" of Hockey.

This tournament is an embarrassment to the sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad