Pre-Game Talk: World cup of hockey 2016 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stugots

YNWA
Jan 10, 2009
Upper West Side
Canada is also just better at hockey than the USA.

If they scrap the Team NA, Canada could have two teams, and have the two best teams in the tournament.

Current team:

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Tavares-Getzlaf-Stamkos
Couture-Toews-Perry
Thornton-O'Reilly-Duchene
Giroux

Vlasic-Weber
Bouwmeester-Doughty
Pieterangelo-Burns
Muzzin

Price
Crawford
Holtby

Team 2:

Benn-Seguin-MacKinnon
Hall-McDavid-Simmonds
Monahan-Spezza-Scheifele
Lucic-Carter-Nash
Johansen

Keith-Subban
Giordano-Letang
Brodie-Ekblad
Seabrook

Dubnyk
Jones
Fleury

Sorry but I'm taking team USA's best lineup over that second team Canada any day of the week. I don't feel like amassing line combos but I'll take Kane, Phil, Pavelski, Kesler, Wheeler, Johnny Hockey, Pac, Okposo, Tyler Johnson, Schneider, Calrson, McD, etc.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I just hope USA Hockey doesn't overreact and go back to throwing a pile of "skill" at the problem and hoping they can run and gun with Canada.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Kane`s opinion was very political about Torts for instance and felt sorry about it, and it was clearly too early for him in the season.
I still like Torts as a coach, because he is emotional and easy to like - maybe old fashion type of hockey.
And players who don`t execute properly who plays top 6 roles on other NHL teams - you won`t reach far in such a tournament.

I`ve also noticed that some recent comments on the Blue Jackets forum here - that they won`t go far in this new NHL season, and they won`t thrive under Torts with Doom & Gloom comments before even the season start is just silly.

https://www.wch2016.com/news/no-answers-excuses-for-team-usa/c-282000516

Personally I had some concerns when this tournament was announced about Team EU, Team NA, but overall it has been some great hockey games, and that is entertaining to watch at highest level . So it has been a success for sure no matter who wins the tournament.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
I'm now rooting for team Sweden and team Russia to win the whole thing. I figure since Canada is a heavy favorite to win it all, might as well cheer for two squads to even it out a bit haha. Very impressed with Zuccarello. Thought Stepan's laser off the bar went in last night, sucks,

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I think the gap between team USA and Canada will only get bigger.. look at team North America, they're best players are Canadian

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think the US will fare better when they can infuse their younger talents like Matthews, Johnny Hockey, Eichel, Larkin, etc.

Actually bringing some good defensemen might help, and so will realizing that Quick isn't that good of a goalie.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I just hope USA Hockey doesn't overreact and go back to throwing a pile of "skill" at the problem and hoping they can run and gun with Canada.

Had a longer post typed up, but got 503'd when I hit submit.

Core thought:

As with all things, there is a happy medium to be found.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Simply going from Niskanen and Erik Johnson to Justin Faulk and Seth Jones will make a world of a difference. Don't get me started on Jack Johnson.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Loved Kessel's tweet. Tortorella deserves all the blame for this. This was the roster he wanted, and it sucked.

Only silver lining was that McDonagh looked elite. And anyone blaming Quick saw two very different games that I did. No goalie was stopping the first two goals against Europe, and Big Buff looked like Little Dustin on the first goal last night.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The game has become about speed. Team NA has probably been the most exciting team to watch because of that factor. Team USA could have used a Kreider just to put more pressure on the opposing D. Kessel not being there is just farcical. The additions of the likes of Eichel, Johnny Hockey, Larkin and such should make a big difference in the future for Team USA. Neither Johnson should be near the USA roster in the future.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Had a longer post typed up, but got 503'd when I hit submit.

Core thought:

As with all things, there is a happy medium to be found.

Agreed. I just hope they have enough sense to find it. The inclusion of the talent from the U23 team should do a ton to help, but they need to build around speed without sacrificing the ability to get to the net.

Defense should be a no brainer with guys like Faulk, Jones, Ghost, etc, getting the nod over Johnson & Johnson, Suter, and Niskanen.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm now rooting for team Sweden and team Russia to win the whole thing. I figure since Canada is a heavy favorite to win it all, might as well cheer for two squads to even it out a bit haha. Very impressed with Zuccarello. Thought Stepan's laser off the bar went in last night, sucks,

Sweden vs North America is going to be an awesome final--that's what I want to see.

Also side note, NHL NEEDS to implement these Ref Helmet cams so that they can "invalidate" what the ref sees. Takes out the refs bias/unawareness, and when combined with other cameras (goal post cameras, overhead cameras, etc), it nullifies the lack of viewpoints a ref might ever have.

NHL can't afford any more ****up seasons

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
A year from now, nobody will remember who won it and 5 years from now, people will forget it ever existed. Same with the 1996 and 2004 tournaments

Bad example...1996 may be the 2nd most memorable performance of all time by Team USA...and is remembered by many - especially Ranger fans - since Richter played some of the best hockey of his career and was named MVP of the tournament...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Thought Quick was excellent in this tournament. The only goal i blame him for is the second goal. A little backhand floater towards the net with no player crossing in front of it needs to be caught. Or at the very least not blockered right into the red area that is the front of the net.

McDonagh was not too great in the exhibition games. Was better from the 2nd period of game 1 against Europe and on. He started to find his legs.

In a game like last night, Krieder wouldve been the type of player to change game a bit with the combination of speed size and physicality. That is if he were playing like playoff Kreider.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Bad example...1996 may be the 2nd most memorable performance of all time by Team USA...and is remembered by many - especially Ranger fans - since Richter played some of the best hockey of his career and was named MVP of the tournament...

And Leetch was the captain.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I agree with most of your content @RGY - I probably overreacted about Quick`s performance last night, because I was rooting for Team USA.
Although I wish Quick did some extraordinary as a goalie with his reputation, and I felt it was too easy to score on him in both games.
At least when you compare Quick to both Halak and Hank who had excellent games and shutouts - when Henrik Lundqvist recovered from flu like symptoms earlier this week.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I really dont know what Quick couldve done more. Literally every goal except for the 2nd one against Canada was a crap shoot. He wouldve had to make saves for the ages on the goals. He had no chance. Maybe the Duchene goal wouldnt have required a highlight reel type save as he slipped it under Quick but even then the guy was left all alone with all the time in the world. Its Matt Duchene. And yet he still made some spectacular saves.

My buddy was clamoring for Bishop and Schneider calling Quick crap. I almost lost it on him and im not even a fan of Quick because obviously I hate the Kings. But the guy did the best he could with what looked like the rangers defensive system in front of him. It was embarrassing

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Abdelkader for Kessel
Kesler for T. Johnson
Backes for Okposo

J Johnson for Yandle
E Johnson for Shattenkirk

Play Schneider.

i agree with most of this, tho i like Kesler's game

Kessel (rehab) really wasn't available despite his snarky tweet

i don't see Niskanen,
nor either Johnson(despite their once-upon-a-time) draft position,
as among USA's top 10

Faulk would have been on my team over those 3

up front, IMHO Tyler Johnson earned a spot with his last 2 playoffs
Paul Stastny has usually been good in a USA uniform

don't love Okposo or B.Ryan, but they would be ahead of Abdelkader for me
and maybe over Max Pac, who has great stats and lots of icetime, but to my awareness hasn't excelled in big moments

i don't blame Torts for style,
the players completely under-performed,
but sitting Buff game 1, and Dubi vs Sid in game 2, were dubious decisions

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Hanging Lundqvist out to dry doesn't even quite describe what Sweden is doing. Their defense is atrocious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad