Toronto FC: World Cup Edition - (no longer) featuring Team CANADA

Status
Not open for further replies.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Sucks that Canada’s first appearance at the World Cup in over thirty years is in bass ackwards Qatar but the soccer should still be enjoyable. Hopefully they can score a few goals, even if they don’t make it out of the Group Stage.

For anyone old enough to witness Canada's last World Cup appearance, I found it an embarrassment. The coaching staff's strategy was to kill the clock, keep the action to a minimum and hope for a 0-0 draw. They'd get the ball at mid-field, turn around and play the ball back to the goalie who would noodle around before kicking the ball as far forward as possible. They barely attempted to attack the entire tournament.

Reactions: egd27

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This is a long shot, but does anyone have a link they can DM me?

I would be so grateful.

Please/thanks

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Eustaquio in full training, that's huge. Our midfield is outclassed so much by Belgium/Croatia but it would've been way worse without him lol.

There were real fears both he and Davies might miss Belgium but looks like all good news so far.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Go Canada Go! We will score our 1st world cup goal and we will get our 1st world cup point .. after that everything is a bonus .. maybe we can surprise da Belgians .. DeBurner did not look in form in last EX game .. and their D is slower than ours .. who knows

Reactions: fancy lad

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I want to be optimistic, but tHere's no way they are getting a point out of the opener. like maybe they have a 5% chance, but it's soooo unrealistic. The important thing will be to keep goal difference decent.

I think they have a much better chance against Croatia. Just on the back that Croatia is so old and we can play with a ton of energy and pace. but even then it will be super tough.

The more i think about it, the more i think this is a really really tough group for Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Love how TSN is hyping the Belgium match ... "Well, they didn't look great pre-WC so maybe Canada can make it interesting".

I'd love nothing more, and I don't think Canada will exactly get destroyed or humiliated off the pitch but come on now, they aren't competitive with a team like Belgium.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Love how TSN is hyping the Belgium match ... "Well, they didn't look great pre-WC so maybe Canada can make it interesting".

I'd love nothing more, and I don't think Canada will exactly get destroyed or humiliated off the pitch but come on now, they aren't competitive with a team like Belgium.

I figure 3-1 Belgium. Just feel like the D gives up way too many quality chances and these teams will bury them. I do like our attack though, may give some teams fits, but probably not enough to advance

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

You never know how this match will play out .. my gut after watching both teams last EX games is this will be a high scoring game .. each defense is slow slow slow .. maybe a 4-3 tilt .. where we really lack is in midfield where most matches are won and lost .. it should be a blowout for Belgians with far superior midfield

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I get excited for the world cup, but man soccer is painful to watch.

Anytime I watch soccer I am reminded of how awful it is.

All the diving is horrendous and stupid and boring to watch.

Sometimes a player would have the ball and they dive as soon as they are challenged even though they were able to keep possession in that challenge. Why? If you keep the ball then keep running. But they jump up swing both legs and arms backwards to sell the dive and lose possession in the process.

The game rewards diving. It kills the rhythm and makes the beautiful game really ugly to watch.

This is old but perfectly reflects soccer vs hockey cultures

MSteve

Mar 8, 2011
1 month subscription with TSN will get you the entire world cup without fussing with streaming links. For $20. You also get some Grey cup games, Raptor games and maybe Leaf games.

I subscribed today.
Does TSN have replays of matches? Obviously hard to watch live because of the times.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
We have absolutely nothing to lose against the Belgians on Wednesday. run a 5-3-2 or a 3-4-3 and just pay heavy attention to defending that back half. We will never win the mid field battle, nor the possession. We are going to have to play for a draw and make good on the 1 or 2 chances we can create. We do have the weapons to convert if they can get the ball.

It's going to be a struggle, but we actually have shown an ability to play games exactly like this. USA and Mexico are no Belgium for sure. But they are also not slouches. We were able to defend well against both of those teams and were able to grind out results in each of the 4 qualifying matches against them. Half of those games in which we played without our best player.

Am I seriously expecting a result against Belgium? No. But it's definitely not the forgone conclusion most are making it out to be. If we know one thing about this team, we know they will not lay down. Even if they go down early in this game.

At the end of the day, I am 31 years old, and I have never been able to cheer for my country in a Men's World Cup. If you asked any Canadian who their favorite international soccer team was prior to this qualification, you'd almost certainly hear England, Germany, Italy, France...etc all well before Canada. We now have that ability to wear our own country's shirt in this world competition. This team has changed the outlook of this game in our country forever. I truly believe that!

Cannot wait for Wednesday

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
We have absolutely nothing to lose against the Belgians on Wednesday. run a 5-3-2 or a 3-4-3 and just pay heavy attention to defending that back half. We will never win the mid field battle, nor the possession. We are going to have to play for a draw and make good on the 1 or 2 chances we can create. We do have the weapons to convert if they can get the ball.

It's going to be a struggle, but we actually have shown an ability to play games exactly like this. USA and Mexico are no Belgium for sure. But they are also not slouches. We were able to defend well against both of those teams and were able to grind out results in each of the 4 qualifying matches against them. Half of those games in which we played without our best player.

Am I seriously expecting a result against Belgium? No. But it's definitely not the forgone conclusion most are making it out to be. If we know one thing about this team, we know they will not lay down. Even if they go down early in this game.

At the end of the day, I am 31 years old, and I have never been able to cheer for my country in a Men's World Cup. If you asked any Canadian who their favorite international soccer team was prior to this qualification, you'd almost certainly hear England, Germany, Italy, France...etc all well before Canada. We now have that ability to wear our own country's shirt in this world competition. This team has changed the outlook of this game in our country forever. I truly believe that!

Cannot wait for Wednesday

Nice post, this is an exciting time for Canada soccer. Although, I’m sure most people in Canada will be cheering for other countries unfortunately

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Nice post, this is an exciting time for Canada soccer. Although, I’m sure most people in Canada will be cheering for other countries unfortunately

We'll get the Italians at least!

My "other country" is Ireland and Canada is better than them at this point lol

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
US aggression made Wales look pretty bad that half.

One sided game.

Wales has to change gears.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
We'll get the Italians at least!

My "other country" is Ireland and Canada is better than them at this point lol

I wasn’t born here and I would still cheer for Canada over anyone. It’s funny to see people cheering for other countries when they were not even born there or been there. Is it not cool to be a proud Canadian?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wasn’t born here and I would still cheer for Canada over anyone. It’s funny to see people cheering for other countries when they were not even born there or been there. Is it not cool to be a proud Canadian?
Canada hasn't been in the World Cup since 1986. Who would it have been acceptable for Canadians to cheer for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad