World Cup: Aug 31 GDT - USA vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

lux_interior

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
Awesome game I have to say. I love the World Cup.

Brodeur and Esche carried their teams. Both made huge saves again and again. Guerin, Leetch, Gomez, Tkachuk, and of course Esche were the top players for America. I really thought that Sakic, Redden, Lecavaliar, St. Louis, and of course Brodeur were the best Canadians.

Iglina, Niedermayer, Doan, and a few others disapointed me. Mario was so-so.
Of course, Mario hardly played. He made a neat little backhand centering pass from behind the net in the first to (I think) Iginla.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assesment of the US team. cycle_it pointed out that Gomez was getting knocked around a lot. True, but he made the pass on the Guerin goal...a very nice assist.

It seemed like for the home team, that "Canada" guy was all over the place. ;)

ZDogg

Aug 10, 2004
Lethbridge, AB
DownFromNJ said:
Awesome game I have to say. I love the World Cup.

Brodeur and Esche carried their teams. Both made huge saves again and again. Guerin, Leetch, Gomez, Tkachuk, and of course Esche were the top players for America. I really thought that Sakic, Redden, Lecavaliar, St. Louis, and of course Brodeur were the best Canadians.

Iglina, Niedermayer, Doan, and a few others disapointed me. Mario was so-so.

I think Doan was one of Canadas best players... Iginla could have also had 3 goals in the first 10 minutes but he was unlucky with the blocked shots and spectacular Esche saves so you shouldn't blame him for anything. I was disappointed with Jovanovski actually being injured when going down... by now I assume he is faking everything. Guess I got my wish and he will be benched for the rest of the tournament.

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
First things first: One of the most exciting games I've ever watched.

Congrats to Canada for the win from an American, but it really could have gone either way. Neither team did enough to cash in all the chances they got. The goaltending was the difference tonight. Esche was amazing for the U.S. I highly doubt that the Americans could've stayed in the game without him. Brodeur was the difference for Canada in the end. USA had a lot of good chances late.

I don't think there is too much to celebrate yet, Canada hasn't won anything yet. It's still just round robin.

lux_interior

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
eSabre said:
I don't think there is too much to celebrate yet, Canada hasn't won anything yet. It's still just round robin.
Exactly. Don't know if you were watching it on espn2. But they were getting all excited about "is this game a repeat of the final in '96." I was thinking, big deal. This game is just to position oneself for the elimination round.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
I love this friendly jostling. It's pretty much bigger than any rivalry in the NHL on these boards because almost everybody has a team involved in it.

Here's to the Americans in this thread who took the loss in stride and to the Canadians who took the victory with grace. Doesn't mean anything yet though. I hope Canada doesn't win all 3 round robin games just to be eliminated in the quarter-finals.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Just getting in on this thread... that was an awesome game! Good comeback by the U.S. even if it ended up for naught.

Any questions that Esche is our starter? Any questions that Luongo might take over Brodeur's spot? :joker:

How about that save Esche made on his rebound... the falling glove snatch? Brodeur had some doozies too.

Hopefully Modano isn't out for the whole tourney. The rosters are frozen, correct?

Canada loses another defenseman... yeash.

That Canada attacking pressure was something else, I'd like to see them match up with Sweden.

[/end random thoughts]

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
I was severly aggravated with the play of the U.S. in the first period. Canada played great, but that was a little on the embarrassing side. Although Robert Esche looked great and actually kept us in the game. Could have been a lot worst. Brodeur was just as good though stopping many nice opportunities the U.S. had in the last two periods. :banghead: I'm praying Modano isn't lost for the tourney. :shakehead Great game Canada!

High flyin' Habs*

Guys I really need your help!!! Do any of you know where I can find highlights of tonights game???? I mean on the web?? Thats in case I miss the reapet. thanx

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
I was supposed to watch the game live, but I slept :(

Saw the highlights tought. Real North American style goals quick shots. Here in Europe players wan't to pass even if they have a good scoring change.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
BTW, Pierre Maguire is a tool.

He may know a lot about hockey, but the guy decides to focus on who he likes and who he doesn't, and only points out the bright spots or flaws in those players. He's already stated about how much he thinks Esche sucks as a goalie and how hes the weak link of Team USA, and despite the fact that Esche was down right fantastic today, he still manages to blame the loss on him. Apparantly, the fact tha the let up a rebound, which then caused a player to hold somone, then causing a powerplay, then causing a goal, was all Esche's fault. Start Dipietro according to Maguire. The guy cannot admit he was wrong, and that Esche made him look like an ass. No, he said Esche sucks because of rebounds, so he picks a random rebound, and says thats why the US lost. He may have hockey knowledge, but the guy is a douche.

Jori

paxtang said:
BTW, Pierre Maguire is a tool.

He may know a lot about hockey, but the guy decides to focus on who he likes and who he doesn't, and only points out the bright spots or flaws in those players. He's already stated about how much he thinks Esche sucks as a goalie and how hes the weak link of Team USA, and despite the fact that Esche was down right fantastic today, he still manages to blame the loss on him. Apparantly, the fact tha the let up a rebound, which then caused a player to hold somone, then causing a powerplay, then causing a goal, was all Esche's fault. Start Dipietro according to Maguire. The guy cannot admit he was wrong, and that Esche made him look like an ass. No, he said Esche sucks because of rebounds, so he picks a random rebound, and says thats why the US lost. He may have hockey knowledge, but the guy is a douche.
Couldn't agree more. He had the same line for Aebischer last year. And when Aebischer turned out to be the most consistent player for the Avs last year, he still found ways to rip him.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
If the US actually shows up in the first period they could have won this game. They looked like a minor league team out there with all the passes up the middle and the fancy stuff at the opposing blue line. Too many turnovers in their own end led to many of the chances for Canada in the first period. Also they didnt have any chances because they decided to play with it instead of getting it in deep. Theres some questionable stuff (the penalties in the scrum for sure), but they didnt have much of an outcome in the game. Something Torterella said after game 5 of the finals: You cant lay down for 30 minutes and then come alive and expect to win. Something like that but it really describes the US effort tonight. They should be kissing Esche's feet for keeping them in this game. They proved they could stick with Canada in the later stages of this game, but if they want to beat Canada theyre going to have to show up for the entire game. As you can tell I'm a bit frustrated after this loss. Oh well, its not the end of the tourney these two teams seemed destined to meet in the finals. It wasnt the best hockey game I've seen, but the intensity these guys played with was awesome to watch.

BTW, how about we keep the generalizations and insults of people in countries to a minimum. I mean this is a hockey discussion. I seriously wonder if some of you are capable of having a hockey discussion without acting like 3rd graders and calling each other names. :shakehead

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
wilka91 said:
You know Canada has a long history of cheating in Canada Cups ... so this comes as no surprise to me. :shakehead

Still bitter about '87? :lol

Anyways, great game by both teams. The Canadian dominated in the first but the Americans came right back in the second which made it an extraordinary game. Congrats to both teams.:handclap:

Last edited:

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Hockeyfan02 said:
BTW, how about we keep the generalizations and insults of people in countries to a minimum. I mean this is a hockey discussion. I seriously wonder if some of you are capable of having a hockey discussion without acting like 3rd graders and calling each other names. :shakehead

How about calling a spade a spade. Both teams looked like minor leaguers. Was more missed coverage and players falling down for no reason than I have ever saw before. I watched the first and part of the second before turning it off because the game was garbage, the reffing was garbage, and the team Canada sweaters were beyond garbage. I won't support or watch from now on anything to do with the NHL or with the NHLPA until both sides get their heads out of their butts and give the fans hockey.

What we watched tonight was not hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad