World Cup: Aug 31 GDT - USA vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I believe he is referring to ESPN playing the World Series of Poker on its main station tonight, and likely recieving higher ratings than the hockey game ;).

Liquidrage*

The American team should be proud.

The Canada team has a crap load more talent then the American team.
But they found a way to make a game of it and 2 - 1 is nothing to be ashamed of to that Canadian squad.

I'm really loving how Esche has played this past year though. Absolutely shows signs of becomming an all-star calibur goalie.

Mr. Penguin

Aug 30, 2004
Finland
Oh come on guys!

Everybody should know that the best game you can name is the good old hockey game!

End of discussion! Let's enjoy these awesome games! ;)

Sammy*

Reilly311 said:
how about they perfer exciting action. The 3rd period was dreadful. I miss the wider rinks. Apparenly Poker is more exciting than hockey.
I guess ya likle the hot & heavy action of the Tractor pull & NFL football?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Liquidrage said:
The American team should be proud.

The Canada team has a crap load more talent then the American team.
But they found a way to make a game of it and 2 - 1 is nothing to be ashamed of to that Canadian squad.

I'm really loving how Esche has played this past year though. Absolutely shows signs of becomming an all-star calibur goalie.

If it wasn't for Esche, the US team would've been boned. It will give them something to build on though, just play a solid 60 minutes.

Jovo Cop

I thought Esche was outstanding and i thought it was a good game ..hits ,fights and BYE BYE Modano .
Seriousely i enjoyed the game and i am hoping for a Canada -US final ..to heck with Europe :p:

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
EaGLE1 said:
Go play poker. We don't need losers who don't like hockey on this board.

Yeah, because everyone must have a "there is nothing wrong with the game" opinion to love hockey

This game was perfect.

I wouldn't exactly call it perfect. Because of the score, the game will likely be remembered as far more exciting than it probably should. Even with the best players in the world on the ice, there was still too much clutching and grabbing and the refs, as usual, decided to swallow their whistles in the 3rd.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Fun game to watch.

Canada lived up to its hype by showing that they are the team to beat. They really only had half a bad period and aside from that were in control. That being said there's plenty of room for improvement.

I really enjoyed seeing the passion in the players. Lots of hitting and even a little fighting. Overall a pretty damn good show.

EaGLE1

Feb 17, 2004
Quebec City
ej_pens said:
Yeah, because everyone must have a "there is nothing wrong with the game" opinion to love hockey

I wouldn't exactly call it perfect. Because of the score, the game will likely be remembered as far more exciting than it probably should. Even with the best players in the world on the ice, there was still too much clutching and grabbing and the refs, as usual, decided to swallow their whistles in the 3rd.

I agree with you. But to say that poker is more exciting was stupid.
Same old hockey problem, refeering. But it was not that bad.

Passing was crisp, players were lightning fasts, great goaltending. Overall, a great show tonight, for a game who don't really count.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Good game from Canada, dominating in the first and very solid in the third. Scary 2nd though, the US really woke up and came on strong. All in all, a good first game, I'm sure the team will continue to improve, gel and continue to be succesful.

Props to the Americans, after the first they played very well.

And finally, I can't believe how dirty Tkachuk is.

FraserOtt

Apr 23, 2004
This thread will be positivley exciting to watch develop; the American fans here seem to have a hard time swallowing defeat, and thus turn to any facet of the game that could justify their defeat, and the Canadian fans are trumpeting their success after the first game.

Whether you were cheering for the winning, or losing team, everyone should be able to admit that the Bell Center was dripping of speed, tenacity, skill and palpable intensity; everything that hockey is constructed of.

No one should just sit there and try to justify a loss by asserting the outcome was affected by the refereeing, the fact that Canadians cheat on the international stage, or whatever irrational notion you have stuffed up your jersey sleeve.

Appreciate a glorious game, and cherish the moments, because it could be a while before we see hockey once the World Cup terminates

lux_interior

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
BG said:
This thread will be positivley exciting to watch develop; the American fans here seem to have a hard time swallowing defeat, and thus turn to any facet of the game that could justify their defeat, and the Canadian fans are trumpeting their success after the first game.

Whether you were cheering for the winning, or losing team, everyone should be able to admit that the Bell Center was dripping of speed, tenacity, skill and palpable intensity; everything that hockey is constructed of.

No one should just sit there and try to justify a loss by asserting the outcome was affected by the refereeing, the fact that Canadians cheat on the international stage, or whatever irrational notion you have stuffed up your jersey sleeve.

Appreciate a glorious game, and cherish the moments, because it could be a while before we see hockey once the World Cup terminates
:dunno: I have no problem admitting that on this night the Canadians were the better team.

DevMod9

I thought the first 2 periods were very entertaining. I was very impressed with the resolve of the U.S. after they were manhandled by Team Canada in the first. They could have easily mailed it in. I loved the way Guerin & Tkachuk played in the 2nd after Regehr and Foote took liberties with the smaller American forwards earlier in the game.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Didn't get too see the game but judging by this thread, it sounds like it was a dandy with Esche keeping the Americans in it the first and then playing better afterwords!!

Actually, though I am pulling for the States, I really thought Canada would thump them badly........I just can't imagine anyone beating Canada with the talent they have......but I guess that's why they play the games!!

And before Canadians complain about Americans being bad losers, Canada whines with the best of them.......lets not forget the Olympics that just ended.......

No one likes to lose.........I consider that a good attribute........but some people do need to learn how to lose graciously.......tis only a game!! :teach:

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Awesome game I have to say. I love the World Cup.

Brodeur and Esche carried their teams. Both made huge saves again and again. Guerin, Leetch, Gomez, Tkachuk, and of course Esche were the top players for America. I really thought that Sakic, Redden, Lecavaliar, St. Louis, and of course Brodeur were the best Canadians.

Iglina, Niedermayer, Doan, and a few others disapointed me. Mario was so-so.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
BG said:

it's silly to pin this on one group of fans, though. the american fans on this board(some of them) are frustrated over a pretty hard-fought loss. if you go back and read the thread after the canadian loss, you'll see the canadian fans were the same way.

regardless of who you are or where you're from, everyone needs to take it down a notch around here, though. just because you're excited over the win\disappointed after the loss doesn't mean the rules go out the window. if i delete one of your posts...consider yourself warned. if you do it again, you'll be taking a vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad