GDT: World Championships Gold Medal Game | CAN vs. FIN

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
well as someone who saw several games--the first FIns game he was very bad, gave up bad rebounds, was nearly always out position

Yeah, he had one bad game, but to be fair, the team in front of him didn't score a single goal either.

Every other game he was awesome though, really saved our ass in the US and the finals against the Fins.

Nice to have a solid starter on this team for once.

The Perfect Human*

I'll eat my crow. Hall looked garbage to start the tournament but like he said, he was out there with 40 seconds left playing centre in the gold medal game up a goal.

He improved defensively by leaps and bounds as the tournament went on. He went from turning pucks over constantly to making the right reads. Playing it safe and letting the offence come without risking chances the other way.

If he plays how he did in the elimination games back in Edmonton next year, he could be the best LW in the NHL next year. He just needs to keep focusing on that two way player. I honestly did not think he had it in him to backcheck that hard and play intelligently with the puck.

Although I preface this by saying this was not really NHL calibre teams for the most part I agree Hall looked overall pretty decent especially on defensive end and not making as many boneheaded plays as he normally does.

I think this is showing us he excels much better as more of a secondary player or sidekick player on the line/team rather than a driver. I just don't think he has it in him to be a control and driver player. When he tries to, that's when he starts to do stupid things and actually hurt the team. His hands, processing skills and edge work just don't quite allow him to be on that very very high level as of yet. But a very very good winger he could be with a smart veteran driver center who controls the puck on his line.

I noticed he started shooting the puck low more too. Smart. Gives goalies troubles. He's always been known to just rip shots high glove 2 feet wide. Really still needs to work on his sniping abilities. He has the ability to get open shots but now he really needs to bury more or at least put way more dangerous shots on goal.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yeah, he had one bad game, but to be fair, the team in front of him didn't score a single goal either.

Every other game he was awesome though, really saved our ass in the US and the finals against the Fins.

Nice to have a solid starter on this team for once.

the other games were against Hungary, Slovakia, Belerous, and Germany

The two games I look at are the US and first fin game--Sweden brought a bad team this year

In the first Fin game the concern I walked away with was his mental capacity when things go bad=-FIns got into his head

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Although I preface this by saying this was not really NHL calibre teams for the most part I agree Hall looked overall pretty decent especially on defensive end and not making as many boneheaded plays as he normally does.

I think this is showing us he excels much better as more of a secondary player or sidekick player on the line/team rather than a driver. I just don't think he has it in him to be a control and driver player. When he tries to, that's when he starts to do stupid things and actually hurt the team. His hands, processing skills and edge work just don't quite allow him to be on that very very high level as of yet. But a very very good winger he could be with a smart veteran driver center who controls the puck on his line.

I noticed he started shooting the puck low more too. Smart. Gives goalies troubles. He's always been known to just rip shots high glove 2 feet wide. Really still needs to work on his sniping abilities. He has the ability to get open shots but now he really needs to bury more or at least put way more dangerous shots on goal.

I'd argue he was the driver on his line in the tournament.. especially later on.

Also I feel his problem with his shot is he tends to put it right in the goalie's crest too often. If he is keeping it low that's a huge improvement.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

The two games I look at are the US and first fin game--Sweden brought a bad team this year

In the first Fin game the concern I walked away with was his mental capacity when things go bad=-FIns got into his head

He had a bad game, and bounced back with an outstanding game against the US in the semis, and another outstanding showing against Finland in the finals. It's not like that game rattled him to the point where he couldn't perform for the rest of the tournament. He shook it off, and went on to save Canada in the third of the US game, and shut out the fins in the gold metal game. That doesn't say mentally weak for me. If anything, it shows a strong ability to bounce back after an inevitable bad game.

I'm not worried about him in the least. This is the first year he's had the chance to be a starter, and played for team canada for the first time in his career. He's only going to get more comfortable as time goes on.

The Perfect Human*

I'd argue he was the driver on his line in the tournament.. especially later on.

Also I feel his problem with his shot is he tends to put it right in the goalie's crest too often. If he is keeping it low that's a huge improvement.

Yup, in the crest or high glove was his typical shot. I think he tries to shoot it too hard and his accuracy suffers. Also if he quickens and makes his release more deceptive it will handcuff goalies. His shot release is too slow and telegraphed. I feel he has that mentality where he has to be super fast and shoot the puck as hard as he can. A smarter player will know being agile, quick edges/feet is more important than flat out speed as is a quick deceptive accurate release is more dangerous than shooting it as hard as one can.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Talbot's mental fortitude was demonstrated by how he played in the elimination games after having a stinker against Finland to end the round-robin. All goaltenders have bad games from time-to-time. It's how they recover from them that makes the difference.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Talbot's mental fortitude was demonstrated by how he played in the elimination games after having a stinker against Finland to end the round-robin. All goaltenders have bad games from time-to-time. It's how they recover from them that makes the difference.

See; Scrivens, Ben.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm gonna pile on, Duchene is a puck hog. Spin around no look backhander from a blocked side of the net? Get outta here with that crap.

I know I'm a day and a half late but I'm going to comment on that play too.

As I was watching it I remember thinking he's covered so well here that he has no other option but to pass it to a teammate. Seeing him attempt that shot anyway was one of the most selfish plays I've ever seen. This guy is a complete joke of a hockey player and I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
http://www.iihfworlds2017.com/en/teams/

there is where everyone is playing next year

I was hoping Canada would play in Germany

unless the hotel prices go down it will be easier and cheaper if I commute to the games from here in London (euro star £50 return--2 hours from London to Paris--hotels usually got for £80 to £120 a night)

Yes, if you want a larger room with a TV and a private bathroom. Based on a your previous comments I assume you live in Europe and you know that if you sacrifice a few comforts you can stay in one of the 1st-7th arrondissments for around 50-70 Euros.

I imagine Köln will not be cheap either. It should be the same availability and prices as when Christmas markets open up in December.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yes, if you want a larger room with a TV and a private bathroom. Based on a your previous comments I assume you live in Europe and you know that if you sacrifice a few comforts you can stay in one of the 1st-7th arrondissments for around 50-70 Euros.

I imagine Köln will not be cheap either. It should be the same availability and prices as when Christmas markets open up in December.

sadly the champonships will be right before the French open with a 5 day overlap, Hotels in Paris between April and September are expensive--even the cheaper places jack their prices up during that time. Paris has already rebounded from the attacks earlier in the year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad