GDT: World Championships Gold Medal Game | CAN vs. FIN

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Yup. Amazing how well he plays when he has actual NHL D men capable of executing a breakout.

Yes. All of our skilled forwards would look better if they played in front of better defenders. It's not a coincidence that all haven't quite lived up to their hype.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Everyone one the mains was hating ongoing mcdavids interview with his no comment about his first goal. To me it was player dedicated to a team game.

Definitely. You could see how he dismissed all of the questions about him but was more animated answering ones about Talbot or his bonding experiences with his teammates. Just a great kid who has got hockey's innate humility down pat

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
if anyone follows the oilers instagram account, all i have to say is that if matthews is 6'2, mcdavid must be 6'3

And Mark Stone must be about 4'3. He looks so tiny in that picture featuring Matthews and McDavid. Or could being further away from the camera maybe have something to do with it?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I thought Hall was awesome in that 3rd period. If you're still trotting out the "he can't play defensively" BS then you weren't paying attention in this game.

Hall plays effectively when he is supported by good players and a large ice surface. When he doesn't have to carry such a heavy weight on a team like the Oilers he flourishes. Let's hope the Oilers get better d and good players to support the few stars on the team.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I dunno, it isn't a pointless tournament, its a development tournament.

Kids don't grow up idolizing the WHC, they idolize using it as a stepping stone to win the Olympics or a Stanley Cup.

All tournaments are good and awesome and great. And we should want to win them all. But, I'd rather win the ultimate tournament than the stepping stone 2nd tier tournament.

it's big in Europe, more than you think. The most important tournament to win is the Olympic tournament because you are playing for your country against the best in the world.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Awesome McDavid got the only goal of the game (Duchene's goal with 1 second left notwithstanding). And awesome to see Talbot bounce back these past 3 games after the stinker against Finland. That kind of mental fortitude gives me a lot of confidence in his ability to be the guy here.

Hopefully everyone heard Hall's comments about McDavid after the game. There might not be a bigger McDavid fan in the world than Hall. Hopefully this type of comment would put to end any of those few remaining comments by some who think Hall is unhappy if he is no longer the go to star on the team.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hall plays effectively when he is supported by good players and a large ice surface. When he doesn't have to carry such a heavy weight on a team like the Oilers he flourishes. Let's hope the Oilers get better d and good players to support the few stars on the team.

Hall plays effectively when he's on the ice with anybody who can make a pass from the defensive zone, as opposed to him having to go get the puck himself and then carry it until the offensive blueline.

But I imagine that's true of every forward.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Awesome McDavid got the only goal of the game (Duchene's goal with 1 second left notwithstanding). And awesome to see Talbot bounce back these past 3 games after the stinker against Finland. That kind of mental fortitude gives me a lot of confidence in his ability to be the guy here.

Hopefully everyone heard Hall's comments about McDavid after the game. There might not be a bigger McDavid fan in the world than Hall. Hopefully this type of comment would put to end any of those few remaining comments by some who think Hall is unhappy if he is no longer the go to star on the team.

What did Hall say ?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

and when he isn't always chasing the game or feels he has to do it alone.

He was very effective in this tourney. he looked like a real NHL vet.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I'll eat my crow. Hall looked garbage to start the tournament but like he said, he was out there with 40 seconds left playing centre in the gold medal game up a goal.

He improved defensively by leaps and bounds as the tournament went on. He went from turning pucks over constantly to making the right reads. Playing it safe and letting the offence come without risking chances the other way.

If he plays how he did in the elimination games back in Edmonton next year, he could be the best LW in the NHL next year. He just needs to keep focusing on that two way player. I honestly did not think he had it in him to backcheck that hard and play intelligently with the puck.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I'll eat my crow. Hall looked garbage to start the tournament but like he said, he was out there with 40 seconds left playing centre in the gold medal game up a goal.

He improved defensively by leaps and bounds as the tournament went on. He went from turning pucks over constantly to making the right reads. Playing it safe and letting the offence come without risking chances the other way.

If he plays how he did in the elimination games back in Edmonton next year, he could be the best LW in the NHL next year. He just needs to keep focusing on that two way player. I honestly did not think he had it in him to backcheck that hard and play intelligently with the puck.

He has had that ability for the past few years. Unfortunately, we've failed to surround him with the talent necessary to let him be that player. When you're called upon to generate offense from nothing without support, every other aspect of your game will suffer. You'll be out of position more, caught deeper, on the wrong side of turnovers, etc...

We need to stop blaming these highly touted players ("gut the core!!") and start focusing on the environment they're in. It's not a coincidence that they look way better in every non Oilers setting (except Yak I guess)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
He has had that ability for the past few years. Unfortunately, we've failed to surround him with the talent necessary to let him be that player. When you're called upon to generate offense from nothing without support, every other aspect of your game will suffer. You'll be out of position more, caught deeper, on the wrong side of turnovers, etc...

We need to stop blaming these highly touted players ("gut the core!!") and start focusing on the environment they're in. It's not a coincidence that they look way better in every non Oilers setting (except Yak I guess)

Watching Ryan Murray play solid minutes on defense was about the only negative experience of the medal round as an Oilers fan. I know about the butterfly effect... we likely don't get McDavid... blah, blah, blah... however, if Katz hadn't overruled the scouts in 2012 and we had Murray instead of Yakupov, things would be much better going forward.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Watching Ryan Murray play solid minutes on defense was about the only negative experience of the medal round as an Oilers fan. I know about the butterfly effect... we likely don't get McDavid... blah, blah, blah... however, if Katz hadn't overruled the scouts in 2012 and we had Murray instead of Yakupov, things would be much better going forward.

Well, it is pure hindsight of course. But given Murray only played his first full season this year due to injuries, he 1) wouldn't have made much difference in the years leading up to McDavid, and 2) he'd have been influenced (negatively) by Eakins as well and 3) We'd not have been happy with that pick until maybe this year. He could already have become a goat for us.

We are a bloodthirsty bunch.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well, it is pure hindsight of course. But given Murray only played his first full season this year due to injuries, he 1) wouldn't have made much difference in the years leading up to McDavid, and 2) he'd have been influenced (negatively) by Eakins as well and 3) We'd not have been happy with that pick until maybe this year. He could already have become a goat for us.

We are a bloodthirsty bunch.

can you imagine the outcry by Oiler fans if we picked Murray #1 and we watched him get injured and out for the season right afterwards? the vitriol would've been crazy

meanwhile, Yak was having a good rookie season in CBJ....

hindsight being what it is, Murray was the correct choice but Oiler fans would've stormed the Oiler offices after picking Murray #1 then watching him get injured

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
That logic escapes me.

Murray getting injured in Columbus doesn't means he gets hurt in Edmonton. Last season he never missed a game.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That logic escapes me.

Murray getting injured in Columbus doesn't means he gets hurt in Edmonton. Last season he never missed a game.

I see your logic and raise you the fact that everybody gets hurt in Edmonton.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
That logic escapes me.

IIRC, Murray's initial injury woes as a rookie due to a lingering problem he'd had since his WHL days? If so, it's entirely possible that injury would've happened regardless of which NHL team drafted him.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

The hate on this forum Hall gets is shameful they guy is a winner shows up for Canada when possible has 2 golds to show for it 2 memorial cups . Would be huge mistake if this team cut ties with him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
How about Cambot tho. Easily most underrated oiler by oiler fans. Cambot is a legit #1 and potentially a top 10 goalie in the leagle

What a steal

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The hate on this forum Hall gets is shameful they guy is a winner shows up for Canada when possible has 2 golds to show for it 2 memorial cups . Would be huge mistake if this team cut ties with him.

completely agree, here is Canada forwards top icetime in the Gold medal game:
Hall 19:26
O'Reilly 17:24
McDavid 17:18
Brassard 16:48

Hall a full 2 mins more than O'Reilly...also lead the team with 4 shots.
Kid is criminally under rated, we should be happy we have him, but a few want to run him out of town.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
completely agree, here is Canada forwards top icetime in the Gold medal game:
Hall 19:26
O'Reilly 17:24
McDavid 17:18
Brassard 16:48

Hall a full 2 mins more than O'Reilly...also lead the team with 4 shots.
Kid is criminally under rated, we should be happy we have him, but a few want to run him out of town.

Hall on the oilers is an elite ppg winger and complete offense driver. That's worth zero help from defense, either defensively or offensively. Hall with defensive help rivals tavares/stamkos even Kane. We see it every WC. This guy is a force and top 10 forward in league. If we deal him, it's for OEL, Subban or petro only

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
it's big in Europe, more than you think. The most important tournament to win is the Olympic tournament because you are playing for your country against the best in the world.

Of course it is.

The whole point of the tournament is to develop talent in Europe.

Would be a pretty big failure by the IIHF if they couldn't make the Euro's like the Euro tournament. Literally everything about the tournament is designed to favour europe and developing hockey nations.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
laine2205RK_jj.jpg

Somebody just told Laine that Toronto has bumped him to #1 on their draft list. :sarcasm:

Huh, scrolling past it, looked like he had three arms there for a second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad