Denmark: World Championship 2015

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
No way that Kim Staal is not on the final roster, he has been one of the best players on the Danish team the last two IHWCs, and he has had a great year playing in Asia. I would also be surprised if Mathias Bau is left out of the final roster, since he has been one of the best players in the pre-tournament games. To me Anders H. Poulsen is more in danger to be left of the roster that any of the 3 above mentioned players. After all Kirill Starkov has a lot of IHWC experience and has had a good season in Switzerland. But of cause if there has to be cut 2-3 players from the initial roster because of NA players being able to participate, Kirill will be in the danger zone.

Lets not forget the importance Staal brings to the lockerroom. His spirit and experience has more than once proved to be the deciding factors of tight games in prior WC's. I would like to see him brought to the team in some sort of assistant coach if not now, then in a close
future.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
What about Frans? I am not sure Islanders are going to win overall against Caps. They didnt look too good the last game.

I was a bit afraid two weeks ago, but now our roster is starting to take shape into a very good group of players.

If you are right, it would be the biggest improvement we could get maybe besides andersen...Frans is without a doubt our best all around player and you know that we will answer the call. I'm still worried until we hear that they are on the plane but it would be lovely this thread turns out to be our usual panic followed by then usually getting a few important additions!.

You could definitely make the case for keeping all 3...

Staal would be kept around just as much for his off-ice presence. Yes, he's had a good year in the Asian league, but that must be the lowest level of any of the leagues we have players in.

I like what Bau has shown so far as well and if he could play a little more physical, that would be an important contribution to a NT where big physical players are in short supply. But, he'd probably still need a little more experience to be a lock on the team.

AH Poulsen would be another candidate, especially if Jannik Hansen becomes available too.

Staal is to me a lock..not just for him experience and presince in the lockerroom but he always performs...had some viral assists last year. The one against the Czech was a beauty too

Lets not forget the importance Staal brings to the lockerroom. His spirit and experience has more than once proved to be the deciding factors of tight games in prior WC's. I would like to see him brought to the team in some sort of assistant coach if not now, then in a close
future.

I have been thinking similar thoughts. He seems like the perfect coach and a great personality to have around. And him and green really have a love for this team.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Yeah, a bit of a shame that WPG had to call him up to sit in the stands. That wasted a couple of days.

I get the off-ice importance of Staal, but he's reaching an age where there is a risk he's on the team in spite of not having the level to play at the World Champs. Not saying that it's necessarily going to happen this year - just saying there is a risk. And having spent the entire season in the Asia League is a bit of a worrying sign to me. Not that I have watched the league, but my impression is that the league is not at a very high level...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
What about Frans? I am not sure Islanders are going to win overall against Caps. They didnt look too good the last game.

I was a bit afraid two weeks ago, but now our roster is starting to take shape into a very good group of players.

Even if Islanders is knocked out of the playoffs we cannot be certain Frans Nielsen gets a go from the Islanders, since he has apparently played some time semi-injured to secure the playoff spot.
Source: http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/injured-frans-nielsen-is-managing-to-play-1.10185274

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah, a bit of a shame that WPG had to call him up to sit in the stands. That wasted a couple of days.

I get the off-ice importance of Staal, but he's reaching an age where there is a risk he's on the team in spite of not having the level to play at the World Champs. Not saying that it's necessarily going to happen this year - just saying there is a risk. And having spent the entire season in the Asia League is a bit of a worrying sign to me. Not that I have watched the league, but my impression is that the league is not at a very high level...

I'm pretty certain that Staal will play on the 4'th line like last year. So if he can score it's great for the team and even if he doesn't, he is usually a tireless workhorse for the NT. Any points from the 4'th line is a bonus after all.
I think he personality alone might outweigh any form-discussion. Only if he is out of shape physically will he be a "risk".
Even if he only played in the Asian league he did score a lot of goals and must come with a lot of confidence after finally! winning something after a full season (having been second three times in SHL, and his Danish league win was basically only from participating in the playoff).

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Janne Karlsson has changed his mind and has said that Ehlers and Bjorkstrand will be considered despite not being ready for the last friendlies against germany.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Great news. Now I just want to hear that Ehlers is on a plane.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
from an interview with the winnipeg sun..."Ehlers said he wasn't sure if he was going to suit up for Denmark at the 2015 IIHF World Men's Hockey Championship in the Czech Republic." maybe winnipeg wants he to relax...or maybe it's nothing and the decisions have been made yet.

There is a interview with Nik on the jets website where they ask him about the WC.

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=814769

looks like bøjgaard and Peter hirsch will do commentary

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
No Ehlers for WCH. Bad....

A shame he won't come, but I can see why he declines. He's played over 70 games this year, and I'd guess he's played way over 20 minutes a game in most of them.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Had a very long season..but a real shame. could be a long long time before we see him play for denmark. with the prospects my the jets have, they could be a contender for a long time.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Had a very long season..but a real shame. could be a long long time before we see him play for denmark. with the prospects my the jets have, they could be a contender for a long time.

With goalies like Pavelec?

Hoping for Hansen now. Lets us just get one from NA this year PLEASE.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Could look like we could be heading for the weakest team ever. Jannik Hansen won't go since canucks said no. Some injury.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Could look like we could be heading for the weakest team ever. Jannik Hansen won't go since canucks said no. Some injury.

Ouch Ouch Ouch, I honestly Think we Could get relegated.

The one year Norway are bringing a not so good team, and we bring a worse one....

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I think we will go down if we don't get anybody else....I'm sitting hoping for o. bjørkstrand as some kind of savior. you know it's bad when a tired junior player is the only hope
he could be ready by the 2nd of may

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Hehe..I know, but you can't..We are danes(you are a dane by extention when it comes to the national team)...Danes don't do optimism.

Something is wrong when Imgoingnucks are the optimist of this board :laugh:

Lighten up boys. We'll beat Norway this year. I can feel it.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Something is wrong when Imgoingnucks are the optimist of this board :laugh:

Lighten up boys. We'll beat Norway this year. I can feel it.

Don't kid, we all know what's going to happen in that game. #HansenWeNeedYou

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3