Woodlief's March Report:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Hab Fan said:
Interesting comments about Johnson being selfish.

Selfish is in the eye of the beholder. Schremp was bashed all last year by Redline because of his selfishness but yet they love Skille, who has much greater me-first issues than Schremp ever had.

Johnson has matured over this past season. He was much more of a hothead earlier on and that could be considered selfish by some poeple. Johnson has gone a long way to temper his edge. He remains my #2.

Lest we forget, the selfish tag also came up with regard to Brule at some point this season but that hasn't stopped people from loving him (still #3 on my chart).

The thing is selfish can mean many different things. It could mean a prospect is a puck hog who doesn't utilize his teammates properly. It could mean a kid always wants primo icetime and will react badly if he doesn't get his way. It could mean a kid takes bad penalties which leave his team shorthanded. Unless people want to start giving you particulars, calling a kid selfish doesn't really shed any light on that prospect.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Newsguyone said:
I've spoken to Johnson several times.
He's as cocky as they come. He acts like a 17 year old would if he was one of the best young hockey talents in the world.
But that's what he is.
But I didn't find him arrogant or pompous. Just pretty darn sure of himself. And still humble in a weird kind of way.
I don't see any attitude or character issues.
What I have notices is that his physical game has been non=existent since being rejected from the WJCs.
you've spoken to him several times?.. How about asking his academic councellor, or the 17 kids he eats lunch with, or the handicapped wrestler he helps into his car EVERY day. You people don;t know Johnson from adam. This kid is as humble as they come for someone as talented as he is. How many other US team members go to the Pioneer games? Zero-just Johnson. If a NY Ranger scout thinks he's cocky, then PLEASE don't draft him, he is too good for NY. Remember, these scouts are generally has beens that think all alike, samer old same old. Why do you think New Jersey does so well, and Detroit, with NO top picks. As long as the league is filled with the same old school boys and their backwards thinking, they;ll continue to sink below Pool in US tv. The Ranger scout has NO IDEA whatb he's talking about in Johnson. Yes, I am a HUGE Johnson fan and have been following him since Shattuck, actually saw him and met him and his parents BEFORE he went to Minnesota. Totao class! They have raised a kid ANY franchise would LOVE to have if they really knew the kid. I just hope and pray he's around for the Habs. Let me finish this by one lastr comment, I don't, care what the scout said-he is DEAD WRONG!!!..Remember, scouts are not the most highly educated and are literally a dime a dozen. Save your slam on me, I'm a Harvard grad with an MBA from Wharton. I just happen to have seen this Johnson kid at an early age, fell in love and have followed him since. If he isn't #2 in the draft it's a shame. In fact, I;ll go one further, he could be #1 for an American team. Think about it, does Crosby mean so much in some US city, other than hockey? What about tickets, sponsorships, etc. A stud American might just be the ticket.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Hab Fan said:
you've spoken to him several times?.. How about asking his academic councellor, or the 17 kids he eats lunch with, or the handicapped wrestler he helps into his car EVERY day. You people don;t know Johnson from adam. This kid is as humble as they come for someone as talented as he is. How many other US team members go to the Pioneer games? Zero-just Johnson. If a NY Ranger scout thinks he's cocky, then PLEASE don't draft him, he is too good for NY. Remember, these scouts are generally has beens that think all alike, samer old same old. Why do you think New Jersey does so well, and Detroit, with NO top picks. As long as the league is filled with the same old school boys and their backwards thinking, they;ll continue to sink below Pool in US tv. The Ranger scout has NO IDEA whatb he's talking about in Johnson. Yes, I am a HUGE Johnson fan and have been following him since Shattuck, actually saw him and met him and his parents BEFORE he went to Minnesota. Totao class! They have raised a kid ANY franchise would LOVE to have if they really knew the kid. I just hope and pray he's around for the Habs. Let me finish this by one lastr comment, I don't, care what the scout said-he is DEAD WRONG!!!..Remember, scouts are not the most highly educated and are literally a dime a dozen. Save your slam on me, I'm a Harvard grad with an MBA from Wharton. I just happen to have seen this Johnson kid at an early age, fell in love and have followed him since. If he isn't #2 in the draft it's a shame. In fact, I;ll go one further, he could be #1 for an American team. Think about it, does Crosby mean so much in some US city, other than hockey? What about tickets, sponsorships, etc. A stud American might just be the ticket.

NYR scouts are pretty dumb...

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
BobMarleyNYR said:
NYR scouts are pretty dumb...
Just look at their record the last several years. Anyway, I have NEVER hidden my absolute love of the Johnson kid, but what you are missing is what I REALLY said, which was NOT about hockey, but rather as a kid, his character, what this kid is really all about. Yoe missed it completely. I don't know the Ranger scout that said such a thing, if so, I hope NY doesn't get him. Please re-read what I said, it was about the kid not HOCKEY!!! I have spent many hours talking to teammates, coaches, opponents, teachers etc. Maybe the NHL should take up after the NFL and get to know these kids better. If some scout feels that way, so be it, just PLEASE don't pick him because your team doesn't deserve him--as a person.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
My take on this is that Johnson and Brule both have the Radulov sickness- that is all 3 are exceptionally moitvated and emotional about hockey (great!) but occasionally to the extent of being undisciplined or uncontrolled on the ice- which can frustrate or grate on coaches and treammates alike.
In other words- tremendous attitudes, passion and character that simply need to mature and be controlled (or chanelled) a bit better.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
steblick said:
My take on this is that Johnson and Brule both have the Radulov sickness- that is all 3 are exceptionally moitvated and emotional about hockey (great!) but occasionally to the extent of being undisciplined or uncontrolled on the ice- which can frustrate or grate on coaches and treammates alike.
In other words- tremendous attitudes, passion and character that simply need to mature and be controlled (or chanelled) a bit better.

17 year olds usually grow up.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hab Fan said:
Just look at their record the last several years. Anyway, I have NEVER hidden my absolute love of the Johnson kid, but what you are missing is what I REALLY said, which was NOT about hockey, but rather as a kid, his character, what this kid is really all about. Yoe missed it completely. I don't know the Ranger scout that said such a thing, if so, I hope NY doesn't get him. Please re-read what I said, it was about the kid not HOCKEY!!! I have spent many hours talking to teammates, coaches, opponents, teachers etc. Maybe the NHL should take up after the NFL and get to know these kids better. If some scout feels that way, so be it, just PLEASE don't pick him because your team doesn't deserve him--as a person.

A Ranger scout said what? Where? According to who?

Seriously I can't find anywhere anyone talking about a ranger scout having a input on this kid. I also doubt seriously that a scout would comment on a player that might be their when his team picks. It takes away allot of the leverege his team has if they are interested in trading down ect.

BTW if anything the rangers have been really NFL like in their approch to the draft. They even interview interesting players in the fall long before they have been prepaired by agents how to answear questions...

A Good Flying Bird*

Hab Fan said:

Calm down, superfreak.
I like the kid.
He is cocky. Nothing wrong that. Any teenager with that kind of talent would be.
I like his mentality. I like his confidence.
I still think he's the #2 overall (well, if I was drafting, anyway).

I think you have directed your rant at the wrong person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad