Woodlief's March Report:

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I don't understand what Johnson could have done (or not done) in the past month to fall that far. The least they could have done was give a reason.

leafaholix*

Nice to see Mike Duco's name.

He seems like a true offensive force in the OHL, atleast a potential force next season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
I don't understand what Johnson could have done (or not done) in the past month to fall that far. The least they could have done was give a reason.

I think it's more Woodlief is in love with players like Skille and Pouliot than anything else. The bottomline is Johnson is the number one ranked defender, and some team in the top two or three will select him. I should add that if you look at his previous columns over the past year or so, Johnson started out at six on his top ten list, moved up to four, and then three, and is now back to six. A bit of fluctuation, but not a ton. Shoot, he had Kindl at three at the beginning of the year, and now he's at nine, and definately doesn't deserve that. It's all subjective.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Legionnaire said:
Skille was a four last month. :)

Yeah, he loves Skille. It's his flavor of the year this year, although as a USA hockey fan, I'm not complaining. Three Americans in the top ten is pretty good.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I think it's more Woodlief is in love with players like Skille and Pouliot than anything else. The bottomline is Johnson is the number one ranked defender, and some team in the top two or three will select him. I should add that if you look at his previous columns over the past year or so, Johnson started out at six on his top ten list, moved up to four, and then three, and is now back to six. A bit of fluctuation, but not a ton. Shoot, he had Kindl at three at the beginning of the year, and now he's at nine, and definately doesn't deserve that. It's all subjective.

Exactly.

And every year, Woodlief talks about the players who will be drafted higher and lower than where he has them ranked because the Red Line list is about preference and is in no way shape or form a projection of who will actually go where on draft day.

There are things in play that Woodlief and his scouts don't like. Johnson clearly is the top talent among D, and they don't dispute that. But, they are ranking their list of players based on where they have them. Having seen a couple of the Boston Bruins' final lists after the fact, I think a lot of you would be surprised at how some teams look at character issues when ranking potential players. It isn't always about the talent alone.

In any case- Red Line acknowledges Johnson's skill level. They just don't like some of the attitude issues. No biggie. 6th...2nd/3rd...not much of a jump and they know he'll be gone before the 6th selection. Yet, we seem to have this discussion every year, don't we? :dunno:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Kirk- NEHJ said:
There are things in play that Woodlief and his scouts don't like. Johnson clearly is the top talent among D, and they don't dispute that. But, they are ranking their list of players based on where they have them. Having seen a couple of the Boston Bruins' final lists after the fact, I think a lot of you would be surprised at how some teams look at character issues when ranking potential players. It isn't always about the talent alone.

Redline also has a history of ranking defensemen lower than they end up going. I think they just have a built in bias towards forwards. Only Coburn was in their top 10 for 2003.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Kirk- NEHJ said:

In any case- Red Line acknowledges Johnson's skill level. They just don't like some of the attitude issues. No biggie. 6th...2nd/3rd...not much of a jump and they know he'll be gone before the 6th selection. Yet, we seem to have this discussion every year, don't we? :dunno:

What are the attitude issues you speak of? I'd be curious to know.

And are they reported exclusively by RedLine or elsewhere too? Cause if it's just them, I'm certainly not going to worry about what that bunch of clowns have to say.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
And are they reported exclusively by RedLine or elsewhere too? Cause if it's just them, I'm certainly not going to worry about what that bunch of clowns have to say.

Although they have had a point in the past. Last year at this time many posters were crying foul about their ranking of Schremp and their questioning of his attitude. Fast forward to the draft and it's obvious that MANY NHL teams must have had some of the same concerns. Funny thing is after all this whining about where they had Schremp, they actually had him ranked higher than he ended up going.

I wouldn't "worry" about what they have to say, but them questioning the attitude of a player may be a good indication that teams are doing the same.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Although they have had a point in the past. Last year at this time many posters were crying foul about their ranking of Schremp and their questioning of his attitude. Fast forward to the draft and it's obvious that MANY NHL teams must have had some of the same concerns. Funny thing is after all this whining about where they had Schremp, they actually had him ranked higher than he ended up going.

I wouldn't "worry" about what they have to say, but them questioning the attitude of a player may be a good indication that teams are doing the same.

Yeah, although with Schremp I had heard all sorts of things for many years. In the case of Johnson (a player I do not know much about) this is the first time I hear about it so you can color me curious.

What are the issues? Is it on-ice (not very coachable, lazy), off-ice? Both?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vlad The Impaler said:
What are the attitude issues you speak of? I'd be curious to know.

I haven't heard of any character issues to speak of with Johnson, although it was reported that he was one of the players that had issues with David Quinn, one of the assistant coach on this year's U.S. WJC team, which was (as the story goes) one of the reasons he wasn't named to the squad. Perhaps that situation is what's being alluded to? :dunno:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Flames Draft Watcher said:

It should be noted that nowhere in Woodlief's published comments in his USA Today column is Johnson's attitude being questioned. Kirk could have been speculating, or alluding to something that he has heard/read in Redline's subscription service.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Fedz said:
Jack Johnson falls heavily.
Strange that Johnson is #2 in ISS, some people sure see things differently. Skille ahead of Johnson? Impossible. Look at the stats, Johnson has just about 5 points less and played maybe 10 less games according to USA NTDP site. If you watched these kids, it wouls speak for itself, Johnson is clearly the better player in EVERY way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->