GDT: Women's | Gold Medal Game | Canada Vs USA | February 21st | 11:10 PM ET

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Shouldn't the NCAA ban all non-american players? ....remember when Canada took that wjc loss hard and gassed any non-north american goalie? ..... All kidding aside, I thought that was one hell of a game. And a game I want to watch in another 4 years

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i said this in the team Canada thread, and I'll say it here too.
as a Canadian- obviously i'm grumpy. We win Gold here, that's what we do and we didn't.
as a hockey fan, i'm glad USA won gold, because i think it just bodes well for the sport.
as a Canadian Hockey Fan - I'm glad Canada lost because hopefully now losing 5 straight world championships and the Olympics now- and quite frankly, Canada was lucky to win in 2014.

this will result in better roster choices (Canada was slow and old), hopefully better logistical decisions (how the hell you only take 6 defensemen?) and better coaching decisions, because this coach was dumbo.

I do hope though, that (again focusing on the hockey side)- the next big Hockey game vs. these two teams is for the bronze medal - not gold. it would do sooooo much for Women's hockey.

Reactions: Dr Black

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Perhaps re-read what you wrote. You stated “So yes, I think the notable disparity in the level of game would close.” So either you’re stating men will suddenly become worse, or the women would close the gap.

My level of reading comprehension is fine, perhaps you need to work on your articulation skills.

Now I can’t speak for the US but I can speak for Canada and up here NOBODY makes it to the top level who haven’t dedicated ridiculous time and money while growing up to development.

Hockey schools are HUGE business up here and they are everywhere. These schools do not segregate the boys and girls nor do they do anything different drills wise based on gender. So our top end girls/women are given a ridiculous amount of additional coaching, training, etc.

I will admit that there could sure be some hidden gems that aren’t discovered because not as many girls play hockey, but up here, the sport is so prevalent any girl who wants to play can find a team to play on. If a girl has to be marketed by Hockey Canada to want to play the sport, odds are the dedication to get to the top levels won’t be there regardless.

Please explain where at any point I said girls hockey IQ, level of understanding the game etc. is not as good as the mens’? I think you’ll find you can’t as I never once said or implied that.

What I did say was the LEVEL of the game will never be close to parity due to the biological physical differences. Hockey IQ and seeing the game at brilliant levels are not going to magically make the women stronger or faster and therefore the levels of disparity will not close.

Having said all that, if people can look past the game being a slower pace, there’s very entertaining hockey to watch as was evident last night.

This basically just affirms my assumption that you’re not very smart.. which is fine.

You admit that there could be better players should more play the game (which is obvious so of course you agree), but then say that the skill gap between men and women wouldn’t close even with more skilled players playing the game?

Men being biologically physically stronger and faster has no affect on the skill of the women’s game. The women aren’t playing against guys.

Let’s look at this in a very simple way for you. Right now a Canadian player can simply beat most players outside of the USA with speed to the outside. If players become more skilled, a defender is faster and a Canadian player has to do a toe drag or [insert whatever more complex move you want outside of just beating someone with speed to the outside]. The game has now become more skilled. So even WITHOUT men somehow getting worse, the female game got better and the skill gap closed.

This is my last response, but I agree completely that this game was entertaining.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
USA women's team members Maddie Rooney and Lee Stecklein joined the TBL pregame show tonight. They are to be honored before the game as they, among others, trained in Tampa in the lead up to the Olympics.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Did they ever announce the tourney MVP for the women ala Kovalchuk on the men's side?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad