GDT: Women's | Gold Medal Game | Canada Vs USA | February 21st | 11:10 PM ET

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Canadian here. From my point of view, the refs favoured the Canadians. We should have been penalized even more, especially on Poulin's head hit. I always root for Canada, but I must say it didn't bother me that much that the Canadian women lost this time around; the Americans deserved their win, they dominated the OT.

I thought it was disgraceful when practically the whole Russian team back at the 2010 World Championships (or was it 2014?) took off their silver medal right after receiving them and it's the same here, shame on Jocelyne Larocque for such unsportsmanlike attitude. I hope she was the only one doing that.

Last night was the first time I watched a women's game from start to finish and I have to say, I'm not impressed. It wasn't boring because the gold medal was on the line so there was tension, but the gameplay and the skill level was abysmal. Sorry, not a fan.

I have less of an issue with the girl taking the medal off than with the Canadian players strategy to hack and slash the heck out of the US team. There were no less than a dozen slashes to the hands and arms I saw that even the garage league NHL doesn't accept or tolerate any longer, and has no place in Olympic hockey either.

As far as skill level, well, they are girls and they are slower than men at the same age, its just a fact of life. Many are pretty skilled skaters and whatnot, they are just slower and not as strong - like a good men's beer league team, though I've no doubt mine could beat either of these teams, and if the canucks tried that slashing nonsense, well, they'd better know how to take a punch.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Difference between a teenager doing something stupid and an adult at the highest level of international hockey. If you're going to revel in being a role-model for children and accept all the glory that comes with it (especially a representative of women's hockey in Canada) you don't get avoid criticism when you're a poor sport, especially when the world is watching you.

As a Canadian, I agree 100%.

I don't think it's really poor sportsmanship (or to be politically correct poor sportswomanship) just complete disappointment in the result.

I'm sure she regrets it today but it's not like ripping it off and tossing the medal. Or storming off the ice refusing to shake hands.

Well, you're wrong, of course it is. You said she regrets it today, you're probably right. And why would she regret it? Because it's poor sportsmanship. Simple stuff here.

Agree it's not as bad as tossing it or not shaking hands etc. so let's put it in perspective and I do understand how she feels, I still can't condone such behaviour though. As an Olympian, you represent Canada and you do so both on and off the ice.

Had a leaf fan argue Kadri is way better than Crosby

Yikes!

On Jocelyne Larocque, there is an article, from The Globe and Mail, that Larocque got an bit of a talk from an Olympic or IIHF official that she was required to wear the medal. I can't verify the article, it has been cited elsewhere, but if true her right to do whatever she wants because it is her medal is not correct.

I would think that somewhere in the official paperwork there is probably something that was agreed to protocol.

FWIW, the US Men's Basketball team never accepted the silver medals from the 1972 Olympics. Not sure whatever became of them... probably eBay.

John

That was a totally different situation. Like as different as could possibly be. The USA team won fair and square, what happened in 1972 was a farce.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Boooooooooooooo!!!! Wow and it took the amazing American a shootout to beat the lowly Canadian. hahahaha!!! They were lucky to win to be honest. they needed a skill competition to beat us. At least when we won our 4 gold medals, yes 4!!! we did it either in regulation or in OT.

It took the amazing Canadians a 4 on 3 powerplay in OT to win in 2014 and in 2018 it still wasn't enough to beat the lowly Americans. See I can do that too.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

Gemini

May 12, 2011
In not saying the American didnt win it fair and square, geez im just saying that after 70 minutes of playing time it was a tie 2-2 and then the Americans won the shootout which lets be honest is a skill competition 3-2 thus winning the game and the gold. IMO Canada didnt lose the game itself it was 2-2 tie but they lost the shootout which for the final is just a disgusting way to lose. And i would say the same thing if the Canadian would have won in the shootout. Both teams are amazing champions. Canada cant win them all. we will get another crack at them in 2019 at the world :thumbu:

Canadians winning thanks to a goal scored as a result of some lucky bounce at the very end of the OT after being dominated by the Americans for 40 minutes straight would have been a far worse ending to a great game. The Americans earned the win they deserved in the shootout.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
OT PP Goal is more deserving than shootout :laugh:

You do realize the rate of scoring when the other team only has 3 defenders for 2 minutes is around probably around 60%+? That's as close as you can get to the refs handing you the medal out of their pocket and they tried again in 2018. :laugh:

Reactions: Atticus Finch

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don't worry, the vast majority of Canadians feel that the US earned that gold.

Kyndig86 said:
That's as close as you can get to the refs handing you the medal out of their pocket and they tried again in 2018. :laugh:

Yeah, I don't really know about that.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
and to be honest if it were not for the scholarships many of the Canadian women get at US colleges, the Canadian team would even be worse.

Hockey Canada is letting women's hockey down.

Agreed. There is no place for Canadian women to play in Canada. If not for the NCAA, wow.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Don't worry, the vast majority of Canadians feel that the US earned that gold.

Yeah, I don't really know about that.

Refs ruined that game period. It was 4 on 4 and then USA got a powerplay, 5 seconds later USA got the weakest penalty ever for whacking the goalies pads trying to free the puck. Women never practiced 3 on 3 hockey and USA ended up tackling Canada on a breakaway, now 4 on 3 for 2 minutes and then Canada won.

2018 Canada got a full 2 minute 4 on 3 in OT in what may have been a dive by Poulin given how she was smiling and winking at everyone. I honestly felt sad watching Poulin cry on the bench but after watching the game again I'm glad shes upset. She got away with a knee on knee no call early in the 3rd or late in the 2nd, then a headshot that could've easily been 5 but didn't even get 2, and got penalized for coming up high earlier in the game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Refs ruined that game period.

Yes they did.

I won't go into how many PPs the US got early on. The standard was strict early and they hard a hard time living up to it.

It was poor officiating on both sides.

I won't go into 2002 when the US had 9 straight PPs and lost because that's what happens at this tournament sometimes.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Canada leads the game...doesn't care because "WOMENS HOCKEY IS A JOKE"
USA ends up winning the game... cares again *Changes Avatar to US player carrying the flag*

It's funny, had Canada won the game he would have continued to spout off that it's a joke, but now that his country won it's all good.

Last edited:

Parodex

Feb 23, 2018
OT PP Goal is more deserving than shootout :laugh:
Simple really, if you don't like the rules then lobby to change them. Both sides play by the same rules. It's beyond poor sportsmanship to blame a won or loss on the rules when both sides have to abide by the same rules. Don't whine sbout, do something to change them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad