GDT: WJHC: Canada vs Česko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, it's time!

The gold medal favs Canada with a ridiculous forward group against the Czechs (who have not medalled since 2005).

In the last 30 years this series has Canada with a slight edge at 20-1-2.

We played twice just this summer and the scores were 5-1 and 5-2 for Canada.

David Jiricek has been living in airports like Tom Hanks in 'The Terminal' and has no gear and may not play. To recap his WJHC career... Injured in period 1 and tournament over. Then got covid and was not himself the next tournament. Now has no gear for tournament 3. If he is available next year and declines... I don't blame.him!

Things to look for:. Bedard, Fantilli and Wright. They will have a fun time today.

The big thing though is that we are back in smaller town Canadian rinks in front of insanely proud Canadian fans and the atmosphere should be insane. This is how it should always be when Canada hosts! No more NHL towns please!

Good luck to both. I'm guessing Canada 6-2. Preying for no injuries to key Czech players.

Spengler has Canada vs Prague a little earlier if you are into the eggnog early. That game should be closer.

Lineups:

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Cesko eh?, gonna take some time to get used to.

Need to start burying prime chances at a better rate, 2nd line needs to get clicking, Gaudreau needs to be tested and pass the tests. Just how effective is Wright going to be in this tournament?

And for the last time, this team ain't no rival of the 2005 team, not by a long shot.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
For those of us living outside the worlds of TSN and Big Hockey Media (Asia), how can we access these games?

PM is welcome.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Česko… sounds beautiful. Thank you for doing that. Nice change from Chechnya lol
Expecting a pretty good game here, but yeah, that atmosphere will be wild.
I think if Czechs can weather the early storm of 5-10 minutes of Canada pressure without conceding, and maybe pop in an early one, it could be interesting. Otherwise I see a 5-1 Canadian victory.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I would like to see Czechia and Slovakia reunite into the former Czechoslovakia for the purpose of fielding a national hockey team that can compete for a medal in world hockey. I miss the days of Jan Hrdina and Vlady Ruzicka.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Gotta hold Canada from scoring for as long as possible, then hit them on the counter.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Česko… sounds beautiful. Thank you for doing that. Nice change from Chechnya lol
I think if Czechs can weather the early storm of 5-10 minutes of Canada pressure without conceding, and maybe pop in an early one, it could be interesting. Otherwise I see a 5-1 Canadian victory.
Thank you for the spelling with accent.. now in the title.

1672069747211.png

As far as I know the jerseys now say Cesko.

Same as Finn Jerseys saying Suomi!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
But the soul of that team were the Slovakians! ;)
I love my Slovak hockey and cheer hard for them. I don't want us to combine though. At the best on best level there would be one less team and the new Czechoslovakia would not be a gold contender. We're talking replacing Radim Simek with Erik Cernak and Libor Hajek with Martin Fehervary. That would be about it today.

Having said that.. at this particular tournament in 2023... if all guys were available then that would actually be a gold medal contender for this one tourney but the other 19 it wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

But yeah.. for fun

Nemec and Jiricek on top pair
Slafkovsky, Kulich, Mesar, Dvorsky etc.

They would be a damn good team!

Reactions: Dirty Sanchez

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Is it official though? Are we still Czechia or did the Czech federation ask that we are now called Cesko?
Cesko is what Czech people call it and I think, unfortunately, Czechia is what the rest of the world is supposed to call us. I hate 'Czechia'! So I'll go with the Jersey.lol I've never heard Zaruba refer to us as Czechia for instance. and I've heard several TSN guys call us Chechnya.lol

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Cesko is what Czech people call it and I think, unfortunately, Czechia is what the rest of the world is supposed to call us. I hate 'Czechia'! So I'll go with the Jersey.lol I've never heard Zaruba refer to us as Czechia for instance. and I've heard several TSN guys call us Chechnya.lol
Yes, I'm totally on board with Cesko, I hate Czechia too. Was just wondering if it was official like Turkiye etc.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I thought it was Czechia? They gonna get pumped either way
It's not a good outlook for the Czechs today.lol I could honestly see Canada scoring around 30 goals in the round robin. I think they're going to run the table as Swedes are missing their Top 3 D. Then an easy quarter for even more goals.

I actually feel bad for Canuck fans as you may not get a competitve match till the Semi's.

Good luck!

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
It's not a good outlook for the Czechs today.lol I could honestly see Canada scoring around 30 goals in the round robin. I think they're going to run the table as Swedes are missing their Top 3 D. Then an easy quarter for even more goals.

I actually feel bad for Canuck fans as you may not get a competitve match till the Semi's.

Good luck!
This feels aaaaawful jinxy.

• Haha
Reactions: Tweaky and Statsy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This feels aaaaawful jinxy.
It's the only Canadian threat IMO... smoke everyone for 5 games... 35 goals for and 5 goals against. Then a semi matchup with a Finn/Swede/US team who's dealt with adversity and have been grinding and defending. Start clutching the sticks, teen hormones, home ice becomes a disadvantage as it gets much quieter and everyone feels it.

Do I think that will happen? NO

I think Canada cruises to gold here and becomes the first nation to win a back to back gold in a while. Time will tell.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's the only Canadian threat IMO... smoke everyone for 5 games... 35 goals for and 5 goals against. Then a semi matchup with a Finn/Swede/US team who's dealt with adversity and have been grinding and defending. Start clutching the sticks, teen hormones, home ice becomes a disadvantage as it gets much quieter and everyone feels it.

Do I think that will happen? NO

I think Canada cruises to gold here and becomes the first nation to win a back to back gold in a while. Time will tell.
I'm blushing over here C.B.

Reactions: Czechboy

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Czechia is what the Russians always called the Czech Rep. So given that, I'm happy to drop the horrific Russian sounding Czechia for beautiful sounding Cesko.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Well, it's time!

The gold medal favs Canada with a ridiculous forward group against the Czechs (who have not medalled since 2005).

In the last 30 years this series has Canada with a slight edge at 20-1-2.

We played twice just this summer and the scores were 5-1 and 5-2 for Canada.

David Jiricek has been living in airports like Tom Hanks in 'The Terminal' and has no gear and may not play. To recap his WJHC career... Injured in period 1 and tournament over. Then got covid and was not himself the next tournament. Now has no gear for tournament 3. If he is available next year and declines... I don't blame.him!

Things to look for:. Bedard, Fantilli and Wright. They will have a fun time today.

The big thing though is that we are back in smaller town Canadian rinks in front of insanely proud Canadian fans and the atmosphere should be insane. This is how it should always be when Canada hosts! No more NHL towns please!

Good luck to both. I'm guessing Canada 6-2. Preying for no injuries to key Czech players.

Spengler has Canada vs Prague a little earlier if you are into the eggnog early. That game should be closer.
Great write-up, man! Now that’s how to open a game thread. :clap:

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Hoping to set the tone early with this game. Hoping a 8-1 win. Good luck and no injuries would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad