GDT: WJC: Sweden Vs USA | 29th December @ 7:30PM MT

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
To me I question why any of the players in this tournament have roommates. Should have booked out the entire hotel if you have to but there is no reason to put 2 players to a room if you want to mitigate the spread of covid and actually get the tournament in.

Heads need to roll over that. Idiotic, short-sighted, and potentially dangerous decision with no merits save penny-pinching.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The IIHF got greedy and now this tournament is tainted due to their incompetence. The bubble worked last year, there's no reason to not do it again, and no reason why they couldn't reschedule on one of their days off. Idiots.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
The IIHF got greedy and now this tournament is tainted due to their incompetence. The bubble worked last year, there's no reason to not do it again, and no reason why they couldn't reschedule on one of their days off. Idiots.

The IIHF still has time to correct this farce. Reschedule the USA-Swiss game and let the US play Sweden tonight and we're good to go, with tournament credibility intact.

But unfortunately international hockey seems to be run by children at the moment.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I still don't understand why entire team Switzerland had to quarantine 2 full days because of just one positive player and everybody else testing negative while now the US seem to be able to play the next day after two positive tests. Will they even allow the covid players roommates to play after letting them sleep together in the same room despite knowing about the positive tests in the evening already? Like seriously?:laugh:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I still don't understand why entire team Switzerland had to quarantine 2 full days because of just one positive player and everybody else testing negative while now the US seem to be able to play the next day after two positive tests. Will they even allow the covid players roommates to play after letting them sleep together in the same room despite knowing about the positive tests in the evening already? Like seriously?:laugh:
Just shut this thing up and give Austria gold

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If this game does take place, all the pressure is on Sweden to win because the Americans now have nothing to lose.

I thought these were probably the second best and third best teams this year. I’d have given the Swedes the advantage already and now with the Americans losing two, they are now even better than the Americans.

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
If this game does take place, all the pressure is on Sweden to win because the Americans now have nothing to lose.

I thought these were probably the second best and third best teams this year. I’d have given the Swedes the advantage already and now with the Americans losing two, they are now even better than the Americans.
looking what is happening right now, there is a good chance tournament is over.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

This seems slightly premature. It depends on who the States lose to Covid. If it is Commenso and like Sanderson or Beniers then that obviously changes everything. If it is like Mbreko and Savage it doesn't materially change much for their outlook to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This seems slightly premature. It depends on who the States lose to Covid. If it is Commenso and like Sanderson or Beniers then that obviously changes everything. If it is like Mbreko and Savage it doesn't materially change much for their outlook to me.

You also have to factor in that they’ve been sitting in a hotel room for close to two days now. All the other teams have teammates rooming and they are probably allowed to move from room to room. Sounds as if this group was put in separate rooms to isolate. And then they probably were woken up early with these test results and haven’t gotten any sleep for two days.

Even if the team loses the worst player at each position, it still has an impact.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
As long as they don't just continually forfeit USA to relegation, then whatever who cares. This whole thing is a sham.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You also have to factor in that they’ve been sitting in a hotel room for close to two days now. All the other teams have teammates rooming and they are probably allowed to move from room to room. Sounds as if this group was put in separate rooms to isolate. And then they probably were woken up early with these test results and haven’t gotten any sleep for two days.
That is fair. I can see the whole team being a little sluggish for tonight's game. I was more so talking about the outlook going forward. If it is non critical players the US should realistically be able to bounce back and make a run at this.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
not really. it only takes one player out of 20 to get a forfeit. You make the math.
Yeah, the asymptomatic positives are crazy for this and vaccination status doesn't really block a positive test on this variant. One player on basically half the teams results in cancelled games... getting through this seems pretty difficult. I hope this tournament wasn't a major contributing factor for Owen Power going back to school!

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
Yeah, the asymptomatic positives are crazy for this and vaccination status doesn't really block a positive test on this variant. One player on basically half the teams results in cancelled games... getting through this seems pretty difficult. I hope this tournament wasn't a major contributing factor for Owen Power going back to school!
I wouldnt want sweden to forfeit in the medal rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad