PGT: WJC Semi Finals: Game 28 | Finland Advances over Switzerland 6-1

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What Swiss coach did ? I didn't follow...

Stuff like that happens in every game. This clip is much too short...the barking went on for quite a while and he was shouting directly into Schmid's ears. They were 2-0 up with only 1:30 to go. No coach in his right mind would have acted like that. The player himself knew he made a mistake...he didn't need a shouting to realize it. After that situation he was so shocked that several teammates felt it necessary to pat on Schmid's shoulders. They were all shocked and terrified. Wohlwend always acts like that...he's also slapping players during games. There's not a lot of footing of those games but if you followed this guy when coaching junior teams he's done it multiple times over the years. He's 100% crazy and a grade A moron. Nothing would surprise me coming from that guy.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
We might really have to create a own thread for the Swiss Coaching situation. I really don't want to insist in here. It's going way too off-topic.

But that my comment about Wohlwend was critisized from opposite sides says it all, how much he polarizes.

And just to answer the questions about Krueger.

IMO Krueger is a smart communicator and a fantastic teambuilder, but a way overrated coach longterm. As crucial he was in the first half of his career in Switzerland, implementing defensive commitment, teamspirit and self-believe, as much of a hindrance he was in his second half. He couldn't handle critic, even if he went on in the media with his more and more irritating mantra-like positiv thinking and teamspirit blabla. With every failure he got more anxious, he had no concept of risk or offensive tactical versability, no courage, no poitivity, no idea how to properly use the growing talent pool, he basically didn't believe in his own words. So he let them underplay their talent for shorttime success only, and he had with Kölliker a guy who did the same with the juniors as well, pure result hockey as well, no intent of letting them take risks and acctually have a chance to develop. They waited way too long to replace him IMO.

I wasn't surprised, he wasn't more than 1 season in headcoach duties afterwards.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Stuff like that happens in every game. This clip is much too short...the barking went on for quite a while and he was shouting directly into Schmid's ears. They were 2-0 up with only 1:30 to go. No coach in his right mind would have acted like that. The player himself knew he made a mistake...he didn't need a shouting to realize it. After that situation he was so shocked that several teammates felt it necessary to pat on Schmid's shoulders. They were all shocked and terrified. Wohlwend always acts like that...he's also slapping players during games. There's not a lot of footing of those games but if you followed this guy when coaching junior teams he's done it multiple times over the years. He's 100% crazy and a grade A moron. Nothing would surprise me coming from that guy.

Sounds Raimo Summanen clone this Wohlwend.
Summanen was quite similar when he coached team Finland in 2004 world cup.
I don't know has Summanen ever slapped a player / players but he's shouted personal insults quite often.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Nobody thought the Swiss would go this far. Win or Lose those kids should be proud (although I'm sure they wanna at least medal).

Looking forward to watching Kurashev against Jokiharju.

Reactions: illone84

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

He has this extremely emotive coaching style, but the key question is: How do the players take it? Some players take this "dicator-like" style of coaching well, some don't. You can't judge it until you are in the dressing room and see, how the relationship between the coach and the players really looks like. There have been so many controversial coaches in hockey, acknowledged by some players as the best coaches they even met, while hated by others as psychopaths. Even in the NHL.

Reactions: LAINEC

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Crowd will be fully on Switzerland's side, that won't help Finland.

Finland will win by 1 goal margin, probably on OT. One of Kakko, Kupari or Tolvanen will step up to score that deciding goal.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
I'll be bold and predict a clear victory for Finland. I believe the floodgates will open after that Kanada win. Eeli with 2+ goals.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Both teams coming off upset wins. Neither can afford a let-down in this game.

First time for the Swiss in a GMG or Finns get a rematch against USA? Intriguing game.

Just hope we see a better game than that first semi-final. Bow-wow.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He has this extremely emotive coaching style, but the key question is: How do the players take it? Some players take this "dicator-like" style of coaching well, some don't. You can't judge it until you are in the dressing room and see, how the relationship between the coach and the players really looks like. There have been so many controversial coaches in hockey, acknowledged by some players as the best coaches they even met, while hated by others as psychopaths. Even in the NHL.

Again. Nobody likes to get slapped unless it's his/her fetish. Assuming that getting slapped doesn't turn on all Swiss hockey players I don't think they like him. They probably would respect him if he actually knew anything about hockey. Since he doesn't I'm pretty sure that they don't like him. A coach doesn't need to be liked by his players but he needs their respect. If you treat them like dirt they might fear you but they don't respect you. It doesn't help the repeatedly tells the media how bad his players are. His whining about the clubs not playing the young players is also stupid. Scandinavian leagues turned into development league because their stadiums are empty and their clubs either operate with ridiculous budgets or go bankrupt. Swiss NLA isn't a development league and will never be because they have the highest attendance in Europe and therefore lots of money. This isn't a bad thing...good young players can still earn a spot and the rest still has the option to play in Sweden (like JvP or Kevin Fiala) or juniors in NA. Wohlwend is too stupid to get that. Denis Malgin made the Cats roster directly after playing in the 2nd league in Switzerland. He even played a few junior games in that season. Where's the problem? Wohlwend blaming his players and the clubs is pathetic...he's just looking to blame others for constantly underachieving with teams loaded with talent. What a clown. Would you like to play for a Coach who treats you like dirt and is always gonna blame you for everything and call you out for every mistake you make?

The most insane coach in the NHL is Torts. While surely not 100%, he actually knows quite a bit about hockey and would never slap his players even if coaching kids. He also wouldn't freak out because of an offside when 2-0 up with just 90 seconds on the clock. Not the situation to lose your temper. And I didn't even talk about how and for how long Wohlwend did it.

Again. Swiss coaching level is beyond pathetic. That's why we have to deal with clowns like Wohlwend and why our NLA clubs mostly hire foreign coaches. It's a shame. Our talented players could do much better if properly coached.

Last edited:

Visul

Dec 22, 2015
I feel bad for his children. This kind of leadership is not part of our generation and I like strong leadership.

To put this in context he was giving justified feedback to Sandro Schmid because he caused very idiotic intentional offside just 1,5min before full time.

Switzerland has been great in every game I've seen so far. Wouldn't be that surprised if they upset Finland in this game. We'll see if Hollenstein is still playing lights out.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
To put this in context he was giving justified feedback to Sandro Schmid because he caused very idiotic intentional offside just 1,5min before full time.

There's more constructive ways of giving feedback than screaming at your ear like a despot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad