PGT: WJC Semi Finals: Game 28 | Finland Advances over Switzerland 6-1

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Swiss will skate slow Finland down. Like they did against men in last spring.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
like they dont have any chance...
:D

I personally wouldn't go so far to say as no chance, I expect Finland to pull it off... but I also expected Sweden too as well so I'm kind of 0-1 in that department. Finland haven't exactly wowed me, so if there were a year for the Swiss to make the GMG, I think this is as gooder year as any to do so.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
3-2 OT win for Finland.

Agree with the other poster that I also think that Wohlwend is on the wrong side of the crazy spectrum. Comes across as slightly sociopathic. It's not that he screams at the players, it's that he absolutely destroys them. That's just not very strong human interaction skills in my opinion. 20 % less crazy and he'd be awesome.

Even here on HFBoards you can read opinions that state how crazy and extreme he is being perceived, even with perhaps a little rougher North American standards on here. It's still a game, you don't need to accept hits on your personality development because of some crazy junior coach just "because hockey is a rough sport". And 17 year olds definitively do not have a settled personality yet. This screams so much machism, it's just wrong.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Most likely. The Finns really need to find their team offensive game and skate like boys possessed or this will happen.

What? did you see the Canada game?

I know Finland doesn't have its 2016 squad out there but Finland's lack of goals last game is Dipietro's fault, not Finlands.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
What? did you see the Canada game?

I know Finland doesn't have its 2016 squad out there but Finland's lack of goals last game is Dipietro's fault, not Finlands.

Some individual efforts and weak shots but nothing impressive. We need a functioning PP and more quality chances and finishing, which means it's time for our big name players to step up their game. Can't rely on puck luck to win like we did against Canada.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Finland is a disgrace to Finnish hockey. Switzerland takes this with such ease never witnessed before in history of the game. The history of ease.

anfieldo

Feb 16, 2014
2-1 Finland go to gold game.. but we plays really bad game and still manage to win

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Predicting a tight game and a huge struggle for Finns if they continue missing chances like they did against Canada.

Reactions: anfieldo

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
As Swiss fans, we shouldn't derail this thread, and make a Wohlwend-thing out of it.

I just wanted to add that his character is his biggest plus... and his worst enemy at the same time. And if he doesn't mature, it could cost him a lot.
His repetive embarrassment of 18 years olds at this stage, is an absolute No-Go.

On the other side, he's a fantastic motivational coach, tactically capable, and works surprisingly good, for such a character, with other, more mature coaches.

He is a top end swiss coaching talent, and one of the best coaches SIHF has had in important positions over the last 30 years. Only trailing Fischer and Simpson IMO.

And lightyears ahead as a coach to guys like Krueger, Kölliker, Hanlon or Celio, just to name a few.

It would be a huge pity, if his lack of temper control would derail his career!

BennsGonnaGetYou

Apr 27, 2017
Sweden
No excuses tonight, this should be a pretty solid win for Finland. Unless something unexpected like injuries happens I can't see anything but a clear victory. Our offensive weapons are that much better than Switzerland's. Tolvanen will build on his performance against Canada and continue to lead the offense and so will Talvitie who's also been a huge difference maker for this team.

Reactions: FinJetster

king89

Dec 4, 2018
No excuses tonight, this should be a pretty solid win for Finland. Unless something unexpected like injuries happens I can't see anything but a clear victory. Our offensive weapons are that much better than Switzerland's. Tolvanen will build on his performance against Canada and continue to lead the offense and so will Talvitie who's also been a huge difference maker for this team.
Our offensive weapons are not that much better, on paper yes but in this tournament no. Please don't expect a win by a few goals, it isn't happening. Will be a close game, trust me.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
As Swiss fans, we shouldn't derail this thread, and make a Wohlwend-thing out of it.

I just wanted to add that his character is his biggest plus... and his worst enemy at the same time. And if he doesn't mature, it could cost him a lot.
His repetive embarrassment of 18 years olds at this stage, is an absolute No-Go.

On the other side, he's a fantastic motivational coach, tactically capable, and works surprisingly good, for such a character, with other, more mature coaches.

He is a top end swiss coaching talent, and one of the best coaches SIHF has had in important positions over the last 30 years. Only trailing Fischer and Simpson IMO.

And lightyears ahead as a coach to guys like Krueger, Kölliker, Hanlon or Celio, just to name a few.

I don't think being emotional and ripping into players once in a while is always a negative. It is a competitive sports and the coach doesn't always need to coddle the players. I think it is pretty evident by how his players perform for him that whatever it is that he is doing....It works.

BennsGonnaGetYou

Apr 27, 2017
Sweden
Our offensive weapons are not that much better, on paper yes but in this tournament no. Please don't expect a win by a few goals, it isn't happening. Will be a close game, trust me.
The game against USA showed that this team's offense has the character to keep going no matter the setbacks. They just have to be brave!

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
This should be a great game. Pretty evenly matched in my mind.
Go Finland!
err...gotta add, nothing against you Swiss folks

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Sorry, but you don't have a clue...Wohlwend is tactically capable? This fool doesn't even know the meaning of the word "matchup". Did you ever see him actually outcoach somebody or only successfully matching lines or even defense pairings? You won't find anything like it. He's not even capable of creating lines who make sense or of using players to their strenghts. He just sends them out randomly and always rides the same guys whether they're ready for those minutes or not and whether he has better options or not. Goes without saying that his ice time distribution is bonkers.

Motivational coach? If you're more motivated when your ears are ringing because of this idiots shouting or if getting slapped is a turn on for you...yeah...then maybe. Simposn, Fischer, Celio and Kölliker are terrible of course. Hanlon I think wouldn't be that bad...he just didn't know Swiss ice hockey well enough and never fully committed to changing that. It's a shame I think. Getting foreigners to coach our teams would be the right decision until there are some good Swiss born coaches available.

Krueger was brilliant. He didn't have any superstars on his team like the Coaches nowadays... yet still he was by far more consistent than any of the recent/current coaches. Kruger could do wonders with some actual top prospects or NHL-stars on his team. Don't think he's gonna leave Southampton though...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I used to play on a Team he coached and I definitely can agree with u that he is a lil crazy to some degree and vocal if pple **** up. But he also brings alot of positive emotions with him. This coach is a master in motivation and i think he is the right coach for a junior national team. If the screaming or temper is too much for one to take, u can retire from hockey. There is plenty of rough coaches out there in professional sports, as player u wont get anywhere with a thin skin. A teacher is just not the same as a hockeycoach......He has a lot of passion in him he breaths hockey and he understands to transmit that to his team. Besides that I think Wohlwend and his staff also makes a good job in the tactics and gameplans.

How did u come to the conclusion hes a joke or not suitable? Because he screams at his players? Results?

He used to coach my local club so I know him and well and feel terribly sorry for you. I wouldn't wanna play for this lunatic. I wouldn't wanna meet that guy alone on the street either...his insanity is so obvious, he doesn't even need to open his mouth. It's in his eyes. Scary. Which positive emotions does he bring? He's just barking and slapping around. You want a motivational players coach, hire Kevin Schläpfer. Doesn't know a thing about tactics either but at least he knows how to motivate players without beating them up or shouting in their ears. And if you think that getting slapped by your coach is normal then you're still suffering from playing under this moron. I like old school coaches and I hate if players use nicknames for their coaches or stuff like that. It's coming more and more and I don't think it's a good development. If players don't respect their coaches because they're friends instead of bosses, then stuff like the taxi gate or players making lineup decisions is bound to happen. Having said that, I've never seen a Coach treat his players like dirt the way Wohlwend does. That's not normal and if you think otherwise then it's either because you've suffered personally or getting humiliated is a fetish of yours.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

What's wrong with him ? Wasn't Swiss NT making progress under his belt ?

Reactions: Hinterland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad