PGT: WJC Semi Finals: Game 27 | US Advances Over Russia 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
As far as current hockey development it's pretty hard to argue against the USA who are going for their 4th gold in10 years.

The World Juniors aren't a strong indicatior for future success when other countries are pumping out talent like MacKinnon, McDavid, Kucherov, Rantanen in the NHL.

The USA still has a ways to go, but there is no denying they're improving.

Startseva

Dec 30, 2012
Moscow
Anyways, gonna continue to drink wine, listen music, read news. last free days, then work-study-work-study.

See you next WJC. ;) More respect, these jokes about Siberia and so on were not nice, why u always try to start to f*** with us? (rithorical question, no need asnwer)

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
I prefer to think the "N" is in DNA.

That and Hockey is a tough game to finance. What better chance to play than being a son of an NHLer.

And do you think that's a good thing? I'm just saying I root against these kids born with a silver stick and who get favors and advantages that other kids don't get. I pull for the kids and their families who do it on their own.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
The World Juniors aren't a strong indicatior for future success when other countries are pumping out talent like MacKinnon, McDavid, Kucherov, Rantanen in the NHL.

Matthews?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Love Matty but he's got to prove he can stay healthy for one dominant season before I can put him up there with McDavid, Kuch, Mack.

He's a hell of a talent though. Right up there with the guys you mentioned which was my point. Johnny Hockey as well.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

USA has been churning out terrific talent for years now. Hughes will be the next first overall pick. Somehow you left out all the great young Americans. I don't get all this anti- US sentiment. America doesn't even care for hockey all that much. I love it and wish it would grow more. I'm not sure hockey is even more popular than soccer. So it's probably the fourth most popular Sport.

Reactions: clydesdale line

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
He's a hell of a talent though. Right up there with the guys you mentioned which was my point.

Nobody is denying his talent level, I'm saying that until he manages to eclipse 69 points in a season you can't really compare him to those players. He's been struggling since old man Kronwall tossed him into the boards a few weeks ago.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
It's actually a huge business, show. And have nothing with actual sport. But it's other talk, ok... (not only in USA, but US all about $$$).

Anyway back to the game. Russia has some really good players who competed hard, and it's a credit to them seeing the amount of emotion at the end there. Except Kostin their captain who didn't want his award and got booed by the Canadian fans. I get it - he's an upset teenager like a lot of the people posting in this thread. At least he gets a shot at a bronze. Which is better than getting absolutely nothing. So the bronze isn't so bad and is definitely better than no medal at all. Which would really suck hard. Imagine walking away from this tournament with NOTHING AT ALL to show for it. Man I cannot imagine how bad that would suck.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
USA has been churning out terrific talent for years now. Hughes will be the next first overall pick. Somehow you left out all the great young Americans. I don't get all this anti- US sentiment. America doesn't even care for hockey all that much. I love it and wish it would grow more. I'm not sure hockey is even more popular than soccer. So it's probably the fourth most popular Sport.

Okay, you're clearly misunderstanding my post. I'm not saying the Americans aren't pumping out great talent, I'm saying this tournament isn't a great indicator for future success. For a lot of players in this tournament this will be the Pinnacle of their Hockey careers.

You're significantly better off looking at how young NHL players are performing, than tis Tournament. As far as that goes USA is still not at the level of some others.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Okay, you're clearly misunderstanding my post. I'm not saying the Americans aren't pumping out great talent, I'm saying this tournament isn't a great indicator for future success. For a lot of players in this tournament this will be the Pinnacle of their Hockey careers.

Here's looking at you Jack St. Ivany!

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
There will always be talks about refs decisions.
I am perfectionist in this sense. If you do not wanna call, then play better so they won't have any reason to call. Same with losing, if you have 0:2, don't complain and just try to score, so no one will have questions who is better after the game and no one will throw a stone towards you saying you did not try.

Two same level teams, everything depends on small things. Today... just not our day. As we can say when Canada played with the Finns. No one knows how things would go if we play tommorow with USA or Canada again.

Our guys seemed to "want it more" but I think one of our main problems was the lack of team play. A lot of our boys were trying to "rambo it up", like Denisenko, which worked on many occasions but not here. The US were just playing a very tight game defensively, we should've tried to pass and get into position more. We almost scored on several occasions but in these, luck didn't go our way. Quite unfortunate, that Gold has been eluding Team Russia since 2011. But our boys will be back next year. They put up a good effort, at least.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Just finished watching on DVR and that was a long, nerve-wracking ending to the game. From the late second the Russians really controlled things and I was expecting a goal from them any minute the entire time.

I’ve watched US teams in junior tournaments for a long time now and no opponent provides the same fear factor as the Russians. They can break things open at any moment. I think most fans would hope their team could create that kind of unease in opponents. All kinds of credit for what they can bring.

That said, it’s great to see this US team come together and pull out the win. The best part of this game for me was seeing Primeau step up and have a big game as the goaltending position has been a question throughout the tournament. I also thought Cockerill played a great game after looking out of place the whole tournament - good for him. Excited for the game tomorrow.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
The crowed started to boo because, at first, he refused to skate over to get his watch.

Well yeah, but imagine how much he cares about a watch at this point, he was representing his country, that was a big honour for him and he was disappointed
because he thinks he let the Russian fans down. Obviously a watch meant nothing to him and he was disappointed at that point. I think Kostin underperformed somewhat
but as a Captain I think he did a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad