full

Russia
Confirmed Tournament Roster

RUS.jpg

full

Switzerland
Confirmed Tournament Roster

SUI.jpg

Incorrect Swiss roster. Knak and Chanton have covid while Patenaude, Despont and Fust are all injured. With three of our best players and two more guys out the coaches were unable to cut anyone, even had to add more players on a short notice.

Also, the team didn't have an exhibition game and was forced to isolate instead of practicing. Without our nr.1 goalie, our best forward and a top4 defender we normally don't have a chance against Russia. At least we had an extra day to prepare for this one.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
The Swiss appear to be the Germans of last year (many players out for various reasons) but I think they'll give the Russians a good game. Can't wait to see more of Michkov. I'm going to say 6-2 Russia (but a game that is closer than the score lets on).

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The Swiss appear to be the Germans of last year (many players out for various reasons) but I think they'll give the Russians a good game. Can't wait to see more of Michkov. I'm going to say 6-2 Russia (but a game that is closer than the score lets on).

Yeah, I'm whining from a much better position than the Germans last year though. We're still able to ice a full lineup and almost all players do have pro hockey or CHL games under their belts. I'd say it's probably similar to last year's team now and with better coaching and good goaltending we could possibly keep one or two games close but in order to do it consistently and maybe win one or two I fear we'd have needed Knak, Chanton and Patenaude on the team.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Yeah, I'm whining from a much better position than the Germans last year though. We're still able to ice a full lineup and almost all players do have pro hockey or CHL games under their belts. I'd say it's probably similar to last year's team now and with better coaching and good goaltending we could possibly keep games close but in order to keep all games close and maybe win one or two I fear we'd have needed Knak, Chanton and Patenaude on the team.
Lower expectations from opponents may play to their advantage. A tough group for the Swiss especially with a resurgent Slovak team. If relegation were happening I'd expect the swiss to be playing in it, but beating either Austria or Germany handily.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Lower expectations from opponents may play to their advantage. A tough group for the Swiss especially with a resurgent Slovak team. If relegation were happening I'd expect the swiss to be playing in it, but beating either Austria or Germany handily.

Yeah, with Patenaude, Knak and Chanton I'd have been relatively confident to play relegation. Without those it would have been tough. Especially goaltending is a huge question mark now that Patenaude is out. If we don't get solid goaltending, we're doomed anyway.

Reactions: novisor

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Garessus, Allenspach, Hofer
Derungs, Biasca, Robin
Henry, Canonica, Graf
Ritzmann, Fahrni, Cavalleri
Bärtschi, Bächler

Meier, Sidler
Zanetti, Delémont
Streule, Bichsel
Nussbaumer, Gehringer

Galley
Pasche

My attempt at the lineup. If I was coaching, I'd probably scratch that 4th academy pairing and go with 6 defenders and 14 forwards instead. I think most of our top6 defenders are used to playing lots of minutes at pro or CHL level so that shouldn't be a big problem.
In general, offense is less skilled than defense so you have to rely on the talented defenders to step up and not necessarily score but at least establish possession and offensive zone time in order to not chase the puck all the time. I think Lian Bichsel will be key if we wanna win games. He'll have to step up. Tough ask for a double underager but he has the tools to do it. On offense, much will depend on Biasca and Allenspach as the two top centers and most skilled forwards. They won't get much support from their wingers now that Knak is gone but Hofer is a guy I think should play an important role as well. I think it will be key to not repeat the mistake of past years and stop relying on Canonica to center top lines, top PP and log big minutes. Let him play a limited bottom six role and maybe add 2nd PP minutes and see how he responds. At least we should be able to dominate faceoffs thanks to Allenspach and Fahrni who's hopefully gonna center a big and bruising 4th line. We also have amazing Center depth with Biasca and Canonica and Allenspach and Fahrni who both have significant pro experience, even in the NL. Fahrni for example is a regular for Bern this season playing well over 11 mins per game and including 1:50 on the PP and he's winning over 54% of faceoffs.

But you can't win without solid goaltending. I'd expect Pasche and Galley to rotate with the latter of the two to start today but it could also be the other way around. I have very little confidence in those two and Henauer though who might also get into games if necessary. Patenaude would come in handy now:laugh:

Last edited:

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
2 nations going in different directions...

Russia seems to be getting stronger with every passing season
Swiss haven't had a first rounder in awhile now after so many amazing ones

Russia 5-3.. Michkov with 8 goals as he starts scoring on the Russian goalie to pad his stats.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
2 nations going in different directions...

Russia seems to be getting stronger with every passing season
Swiss haven't had a first rounder in awhile now after so many amazing ones

Russia 5-3.. Michkov with 8 goals as he starts scoring on the Russian goalie to pad his stats.

We'll have the most amazing one at least since Meier this year...watch out:laugh:
Our 03 kids are much better than the aged out 01 group so it's mostly just bad luck we can't ice a better team than last year.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
We'll have the most amazing one at least since Meier this year...watch out:laugh:
Our 03 kids are much better than the aged out 01 group so it's mostly just bad luck we can't ice a better team than last year.
Who is coming? I'm not knocking Swiss hockey but I've noticed at U18 and here that there is a current 'lull'.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Who is coming? I'm not knocking Swiss hockey but I've noticed at U18 and here that there is a current 'lull'.

Well, if you watched the under 18's you must have noticed him already. He's the lone double underager but the biggest kid on the roster. I mentioned him already in my previous post. With Knak out, a lot will depend on Bichsel. We still have 4 really good Centers but I wouldn't expect much from the wingers so defense will have to step up. Bichsel is the one with the highest upside despite being the youngest. If he can repeat against older players what he did at the WJC18 then we might have a chance to keep games tight if we get good goaltending as well.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, if you watched the under 18's you must have noticed him already. He's the lone double underager but the biggest kid on the roster. I mentioned him already in my previous post. With Knak out, a lot will depend on Bichsel. We still have 4 really good Centers but I wouldn't expect much from the wingers so defense will have to step up. Bichsel is the one with the highest upside despite being the youngest. If he can repeat against older players what he did at the WJC18 then we might have a chance to keep games tight if we get good goaltending as well.
Any NHL goalies on the horizon? Swiss had some beauts for a long time!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Any NHL goalies on the horizon? Swiss had some beauts for a long time!

Just those drafted already. Van Pottelberghe has progressed very nicely and is probably gonna join the Redwings next season. Akira Schmid has had bust written all over him but made a lot of progress recently. Other than that, probably not. At least not among the younger kids. Again, I'd have trusted Patenaude this season but I have very little trust in Galley or the other goalies. Our 3 goalies in that tournament are most likely not NHL material and neither is Patenaude.

Reactions: Czechboy

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Russia comes out angry and knocks the doors off the Swiss.

6-1 Russia

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Hopefully Russia gets a nice lead and we can see a bit of Motorygin as well.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Good opportunity for Zubov to get this team's **** together. He can't do much about goaltending, but the lack of disclpline and disjointed formations are worrysome.
I say hand the team over to Filatov.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wtf Bayer. You grade a moron! Puts 3 of our 4 best Centers together as his 1st line:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
I hope he's gonna come away from that. We need at least Fahrni and Allenspach on separate lines for faceoff reasons only. I'd expect both to win 60% at least in this tournament but I'm not sure anybody else on the roster can match that. I'm just wondering if Bayer really is that dumb or if Fischer called him and told him to do that:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I know we have great Centers and our Wingers can't match that but man...we still need capable Centers for all 4 lines and there's other ways to give them the ice time they deserve.

Also surprising to see Derungs and Galley scratched but that could mean that Galley is gonna start game 2. Not the greatest fan of Derungs but I didn't expect him to be a scratch either. Also, do they really wanna use a Swiss linesman in a game involving Switzerland? Really? I know we need every bit of help we can get but:huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad