WJC - Russia 2017

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Tyanullin instead of Yurtaikin on Alexeev's wing is an interesting idea. I'm fine with it.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Lines from today's practice:

Rykov-Sidorov; Polunin-Vorobyov-Kaprizov
Sergachyov-Zborovskiy; Korostelev-Trenin-Tyanulin
Voronkov-Volkov; Yurtaikin-Alexeyev-Rubtsov
Dronov-Fazylzyanov; Karnaukhov-Kvartalnov-Guryanov
Chmykhov-Kudako; Urakov-Belyayev-Li

Those top four lines look pretty serious there.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Yurtaikin is back in the fold, so maybe he will stay on. Guryanov seems to be in the doghouse on the checking line. A little strange.

Honestly, not a fan of the Koro-Trenin-Tyanulin line. But who knows.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Yurtaikin is back in the fold, so maybe he will stay on. Guryanov seems to be in the doghouse on the checking line. A little strange.

Honestly, not a fan of the Koro-Trenin-Tyanulin line. But who knows.

Well, that's our 2ND line apparently

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
True to his past nature, Bragin is grouping the CHLers together. At least for now.

I would feel better about this if Trenin could actually command that ship. I just don't think he is skilled enough offensively. But he'll win faceoffs. Maybe that group could at least dominate possession and show a strong cycle game.

I think Koro-Trenin-Guryanov would be better. If Yurtaikin stays then just send Tyanulin back to Ottawa.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Someone needs to make all the dirty work for Guryanov and Kvartalnov with Karnaukhov look pretty competent for that. On the other hand Guryanov has that offense generating ability and that is what Kvartalnov and Karnaukhov are lacking a bit. So on paper that lineup looks interesting, a lot of firepower there and I can't tell which line is 2-nd and which is 4-th.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
If they take this sort of play into the tournament game vs Canada won't be pretty.

Rumors of an improved defense now seem greatly overblown. Sweden totally dominated the defense last night. The bigger, stronger forwards mauled the Russian defenders, and they even seemed to play cute games of passing the puck and keep away right in front of the Russian crease. The Russian players had no chemistry or emotion at all, and they were hanging their heads in pity and defeat when the game was over. Anything short of a Bragin miracle could end in a bad result for this team.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Rumors of an improved defense now seem greatly overblown. Sweden totally dominated the defense last night. The bigger, stronger forwards mauled the Russian defenders, and they even seemed to play cute games of passing the puck and keep away right in front of the Russian crease. The Russian players had no chemistry or emotion at all, and they were hanging their heads in pity and defeat when the game was over. Anything short of a Bragin miracle could end in a bad result for this team.

Tournament hasn't started a pre tournament game means nothing, Russia usually play to the competition level when the tournament begins I wouldn't be worried except for the tendancy to slack against weaker opponents.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Tyanulin, Korostelev, Li, Fazylzyanov and Chmykhov have been cut. Final WJC roster:

GK
Anton Krasotkin
Ilya Samsonov
Vladislav Sukhachyov

D
Grigoriy Dronov
Vadim Kudako
Yegor Rykov
Mikhail Sergachyov
Mikhail Sidorov
Artyom Volkov
Yegor Voronkov
Sergey Zborovskiy

FW
Denis Alexeyev
Kirill Belyayev
Denis Guryanov
Kirill Kaprizov
Pavel Karnaukhov
Danila Kvartalnov
Alexandr Polunin
German Rubtsov
Yakov Trenin
Kirill Urakov
Mikhail Vorobyov
Danil Yurtaikin

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
bragin loves his grinders. i have no idea who the hell belyaev and urakov are. this team makes me depressed. ant it's not like there are better options out there, beside rotenberg and ivanuzhenkov i mean.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'm a bit worried that Bragin makes those kind of critical changes at the last moment. So I guess those lines will look something like that:

Polunin-Vorobyov-Kaprizov
Yurtaikin-Alexeyev-Rubtsov
Belyayev-Trenin-Guryanov
Karnaukhov-Kvartalnov-Urakov

Although I'd rather go with Kaprizov-Vorobyov-Guryanov as the first unit and Polunin could be fine on LW with big guys like Trenin and Belyayev.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Tournament hasn't started a pre tournament game means nothing, Russia usually play to the competition level when the tournament begins I wouldn't be worried except for the tendancy to slack against weaker opponents.

All of what you say is true. I said the same general thing in another thread. But last night's performance was worrisome, and the pre-WJC tournaments raised all kinds of doubts about the character of the team. As I said, it looks like it will take a Bragin miracle, but a good outcome is not out of the question...yet! But there is no reason, based on what has been shown to date, to expect to see them in the Gold Medal game.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
bragin loves his grinders. i have no idea who the hell belyaev and urakov are. this team makes me depressed. ant it's not like there are better options out there, beside rotenberg and ivanuzhenkov i mean.

At a time like this, we could use some more good Ivanyuzhenkov humor!

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
bragin loves his grinders. i have no idea who the hell belyaev and urakov are. this team makes me depressed.

Yup even Kaurnakhov and Trenin have no business at this level. Scoring is going to be the downfall of this team. all I can say is I hope I am proven wrong.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
i have no idea who the hell belyaev and urakov are
This is not the Bragin's problem :). Urakov has a lot of minutes in the KHL. He's definitely not flashy or something but he's not that bad.
Belyaev is a surprise for me.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Yup even Kaurnakhov and Trenin have no business at this level. Scoring is going to be the downfall of this team. all I can say is I hope I am proven wrong.
Karnaukhov is good enough. He's almost ppg in the VHL.
Trenin has nice hands and playmaking ability but he's really slow.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
I'm a bit worried that Bragin makes those kind of critical changes at the last moment. So I guess those lines will look something like that:

Belyayev-Trenin-Guryanov

Although I'd rather go with Kaprizov-Vorobyov-Guryanov as the first unit and Polunin could be fine on LW with big guys like Trenin and Belyayev.
Basing on training camp games I expect something like this:

Polunin - Vorobiev - Kaprizov
Karnaukhov - Kvartalnov - Guryanov
Yurtaykin - Alekseev - Rubtsov
Urakov - Belyaev - Trenin

Sidorov - Rykov
Sergachev - Zborovskiy
Voronkov - Volkov
Dronov - Kudako

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
I would say this 2017 team can achieve next bronze medal which is realistic and objective view and very good place, for gold the contenders are obviously Fins, Swedes or Canadians as always.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
this 2017 team can achieve next bronze medal

for gold the contenders are obviously Fins, Swedes or Canadians as always.
Champs since 2010.
Russia: 6, 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 2
Canada: 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 1, 6
Sweden: 3, 4, 1, 2, 2, 4, 4
Finland: 5, 6, 4, 7, 1, 7, 1

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Champs since 2010.
Russia: 6, 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 2
Canada: 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 1, 6
Sweden: 3, 4, 1, 2, 2, 4, 4
Finland: 5, 6, 4, 7, 1, 7, 1

Russia has been the best team in the WJC for the last 7 years without a doubt. It looks like it will be very hard to finish in the medals this year, but as always, we can hope for a Bragin miracle (it wouldn't hurt if the guys on the ice could work some miracles as well)!

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Belyayev-Trenin-Guryanov

I would prefer Karnaukhov-Krvartalnov-Guryanov. I think Guryanov's skills would be wasted with Belyaev and Trenin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad