WJC - Russia 2017

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
To be fair CHLers weren't the only ones that didn't play well at Super series.

I don't know, I find it very hard to believe that this is the best possible team.

BTW, for next season, despite plenty of offensive fire power from '99 and 2000 guys, we'll be watching Ivanyuzhnikov, Sholokhov and Rasseikin.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

I don't know, I find it very hard to believe that this is the best possible team.

BTW, for next season, despite plenty of offensive fire power from '99 and 2000 guys, we'll be watching Ivanyuzhnikov, Sholokhov and Rasseikin.

Is Bragin the coach again next year? If his team does well again this year there is no reason not to bring him back again.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

You are right in saying that the CHL'ers weren't the only ones who underperformed at the Super Series. And it probably isn't the best possible team. As Fantomas pointed out, why not Chebykin and Mityakin? At the same time, I'm not sure that any of the CHL'ers would really improve the situation.

Abramov is really talented, but so are the guys on the current roster who aren't producing much now. Maybe a case could be made that the CHL group has had to adapt to small ice conditions more so than the Russian contingent, but Russian coaches, in the end, can really only coach from a Russian perspective. I just think it is hard to plug those guys in when the coaching staff has such a limited range of information about them to work with.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
(optimism mode) In spite of the losses, there has been steady improvement. The final period against USA was encouraging. They will need to build on this. Still going 0-2 against serious teams is discouraging. (/optimism mode)

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I too think, this is not the best team possible. But this a play off roster, let's beat Slovakia first, and then see what we can do in the play offs.

Has Guryanov been playing?

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
(optimism mode) In spite of the losses, there has been steady improvement. The final period against USA was encouraging. They will need to build on this. Still going 0-2 against serious teams is discouraging. (/optimism mode)
they lost to sweden too in the preliminaries without much of a fight. the team is mediocre at best and it'll be a huge success if they end up with bronze.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I beg for forgiveness from Trenin for criticizing his selection. He has been a monster out there!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
How has Gurianov looked?

In truth, he has just looked like another guy skating his shift. Nothing special about him so far. I hope he will come through with some great plays today and tomorrow, but he has shown no signs of being a force so far.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Guryanov really turned on the jets today. He has a nice coast-to-coast game. I think he lacks a bit of hockey sense, which will prevent him from becoming a star in the NHL. But he looks like an NHLer to me.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
In truth, he has just looked like another guy skating his shift. Nothing special about him so far. I hope he will come through with some great plays today and tomorrow, but he has shown no signs of being a force so far.

Obviously, he was a monster today, by far the best Russian player in my opinion. He and Kaprizov were dangerous every time they stepped on the ice. It came down to goaltenders in the shootout, and their guy was better. Ironically, Polunin, who was much hyped but really didn't contribute a thing throughout the tournament, was in a position to put Russia into the GMG, but his Shoot Out shot loudly bounced off the post.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
My 2018 team prediction

Kostin - Rubtsov - Abramov
Svechnikov - Shvyryov - Popugayev
Kosorenkov - Lipanov - Maltsev
Kayumov - Koltygin - Mizyurin

Sergachev - Dronov
Y. Zaytsev - Karpukhin
D. Zaytsev - Lavrinenko
Samorukov - Rodionychev

Sukhachyov
Berdin
Zhukov

Last edited:

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
My 2018 team prediction

Kostin - Rubtsov - Abramov
Svechnikov - Shvyryov - Popugayev
Kosorenkov - Lipanov - Maltsev
Kayumov - Koltygin - Mizyurin

Sergachev - Dronov
Y. Zaytsev - Karpukhin
D. Zaytsev - Lavrinenko
Samorukov - Rodionychev

Sukhachyov
Berdin
Zhukov

Honestly I'd rather have Sokolov on the roster, than someone like Popugayev. Dima is pretty much the offense of his team and goalscoring machine, while Nikita is a passenger. And Sokolov isn't perimeter player like Popugayev. Finally Sokolov was better at SSS.
In terms of forwards I would like to see something like:

Kayumov - Rubtsov - Kostin
Sokolov - Shvyryov - Abramov
Chekhovich - Lipanov - Svechnikov
Ivanuzhnikov - Maltsev - Popugayev

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Honestly I'd rather have Sokolov on the roster, than someone like Popugayev. Dima is pretty much the offense of his team and goalscoring machine, while Nikita is a passenger. And Sokolov isn't perimeter player like Popugayev. Finally Sokolov was better at SSS.
In terms of forwards I would like to see something like:

Kayumov - Rubtsov - Kostin
Sokolov - Shvyryov - Abramov
Chekhovich - Lipanov - Svechnikov
Ivanuzhnikov - Maltsev - Popugayev

I agree, I was surprised people were leaving Sokolov off.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it should be 13 and 7 next year. Don't need 8D.

Maltsev-Rubtsov-Kostin
Sokolov-Shvyryov-Abramov
Chekhovich-Lipanov-Svechnikov
Popugayev-Koltygin-Kosorenkov
Khovanov

Dronov-Sergachyov
Y. Zaitsev-D. Zaitsev
Samorukov-Karpukhin
Rubinchik

Sukhachyov
Zhukov
Berdin

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
They had the chance to show what they could do in the Canada-Russia series. They didn't show well. They are at a disadvantage in that the coaching staff rarely gets to see them play. So when the chance is there, they have to produce. None of those guys are the missing element in this tournament.

Even Lebron James, Christiano Ronaldo, Ovechkin might not show their best in 1-2 games. Hard to evaluate someone just based on this.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Even Lebron James, Christiano Ronaldo, Ovechkin might not show their best in 1-2 games. Hard to evaluate someone just based on this.

Agreed, but that is the current situation, and it doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. These guys are across the ocean on another continent, and there is just no contact between the continents. And the Russian coaches are Russians, who are tied to domestic hockey in Russia. Of course they want to support local hockey over foreign hockey, which means that, in the case of 2 candidates who are not markedly different, preference will go to the guy who plays in Russia. They would be shooting themselves in the foot by relying on guys who are in NA.

If the guy playing in NA is clearly better than competitors, such as Guryanov and Sergachyov, of course they will be on the roster. But a draw is resolved in favor of the guy in Russia. I believe they will inevitably move toward a national team concept, which could have the effect of excluding the NA players altogether. Too hard to fit them into the system, with all its differences. You see the same dilemma at the senior team level, where they have to fit together a roster that is half NHL and half KHL.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The most pleasant surprise for me in this tournament was Vorobiev. He won't be a star, but he is a good two-way player.

Very strong on the puck, wins puck battles, sees the ice well, and was as good at faceoffs as Trenin. In fact took most of the key draws.

He won't score much but can do many different things. Russia will need good role-playing centermen like him in the future.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I am still fuming about the shoot out with the states, Bragin had to pull Samsonov after it was obvious the guy has burned out.

What's there to be mad about? Losing in a shootout sucks but it is what it is, no way to tell Samsonov was burned out in that shootout imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad