WJC QF: Jan 2 GDT - USA vs. Czech Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is It Just the Homer In Me...

Or should Robbie Schremp get more playing time??? Especially on the 1st PP unit. And how about some better line-mates. is it against the law for Kyle to play Ryan and Schremp together???

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
naihlflames said:
Good post. I a huge JJ and Univ. of Michigan fan. I completley understand the booing. Just the other night at JLA, I was booing Federov everytime he touched the puck playing against the Wings. Great spirit there.

Now, cheering the Czech's. Go Czech's Go is cool and fun. US Sucks coming from a Canadien makes my blood boil.

and it rightly should.... but you have to remember that we dont *actually* think that the US does indeed suck, haha.... we're just having fun with you guys..... sure, we dont agree with 95% of your foreign policy, but we're also smart enough to realize that the US hockey team doesnt make this policy..... its all in good fun, and nothing more should really be read into it

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Bobby Ryan 2 shifts 1 goal 2 posts 1 goalmouth scramble 2 sustained pressure shifts in the Czech end.

If they played him more, he'd get even more points. In fact, i'd be willing to bet he has the best points per minutes average in the entire tournament.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
jadeddog said:
i seriously cant believe that you guys are complaining about fnas cheering for another team!!! lol... WOW... have you watched sports before? fans cheer for their team, or any other team whose winning will help their own team.... does that warm weather down there prevent your skin from building up a nice protective layer or something? :)

Exactly. USA and Canada are rivals. Is there some unwritten rule saying they must cheer each other when they're not facing each other? If the fans want to boo us, that's their right. Now if they come to our country and boo us, well, I'm sure Bush will pass some law outlawing it :) And if they want to really boo the hell out of Johnson, more power to them. It happens at every level from here on out. Just the other day when the Red Wings played the Blue Jackets, the Detroit fans were booing Sergei Federov everytime he touched the puck (and he never even threw an elbow).

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
Westcoasthabsfan said:
Well quit whinning about the crowd....

Why? Like I said, the point was well taken. It's old already. It's not really even funny anymore, which it had a chance to be.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
NYR2 said:
Why? Like I said, the point was well taken. It's old already. It's not really even funny anymore, which it has a chance to be.

And the comments on the crowd is just as old. Let's get back to and stay on the game.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Spiral said:
Who scored the goal for the Czechs? Was it Smid?

I'm cheering for the US, but I want both Bobby Ryan and Ladislav Smid to do well in this game.

Smid frolik sobotka

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Damn, Kyle is being interviewed right now for quite a bit of time. Maybe he should be speaking to his players??? Brilliant guys, brilliant!!!

EDIT-I heard the reporter mention the score after 1, so I assumed that it was live, even though it may not have been. Anyone know for sure???

Randall Graves*

Look I know JJ made a dirty play, but the guy is a kid, don't some people have anything better to do than boo teenagers?

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Those complaining about the booing need to get over themselves and grow some thicker skin. It's not like they're burning your flag. Shesh.

Anyway, pretty entertaining period. A lot of speed on both teams.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
MHNet said:
Exactly. USA and Canada are rivals. Is there some unwritten rule saying they must cheer each other when they're not facing each other? If the fans want to boo us, that's their right. Now if they come to our country and boo us, well, I'm sure Bush will pass some law outlawing it :) And if they want to really boo the hell out of Johnson, more power to them. It happens at every level from here on out. Just the other day when the Red Wings played the Blue Jackets, the Detroit fans were booing Sergei Federov everytime he touched the puck (and he never even threw an elbow).

yup, you seem to get it.... canadians have been booing the russians for DECADES, lol, because they have always been our biggest hockey rival.... i think things like this are what makes sports great.... im a huge oiler fan, but i thought it was hilarious when calgary fans used to chant "cry-baby" when they played the oilers (in reference to gretzky)..... dont the rangers fans still chant "potvin sucks" after all these years or something like that? its funny, and people who think that its somehow an "affront to their nationality" need to grow up

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
RallyKiller said:
Look I know JJ made a dirty play, but the guy is a kid, don't some people have anything better to do than boo teenagers?

This is a board where a thread about Crosby wearing a dress would get 400 replies :)

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
I'm not saying the crowd shouldn't boo or razz or whatever; I'm just saying it's annoying because it's making this already hard-to-hear feed even harder.

That said, the first period went fairly well for the USA squad. Up 2-1 and outshooting the Czech Rep. 16-13 are good starts. I think the defense needs to be shored up a bit, Cory Schneider is having to make too many big saves ;). If they keep up the pressure on Schwarz and stay out of penalty box, the second period should go well for team USA.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
I dont believe Oshie wasnt awarded an assist on that U.S goal he did all the work to get the puck out to Kessel

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
RallyKiller said:

He's 18, almost 19. An adult. If he can't handle it, he'll have a tough time in the NHL what with the flying elbows he likes to throw.

If you're at a game, are you supposed to shut up and do nothing? People boo players in the NHL, if I was at this game, I'd boo JJ. The crowd should be allowed to have some fun.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
RallyKiller said:

Let's make a deal for this game and posts. US fans: Don't rag on the Canucks for having fun and booing. Canadiens on the board: Don't rag on the Americans who don't listen to this post and rag on them for ragging on the crowd, whose ragging on our team.

Let's see if posts about hockey and the game can outnumber posts about the crowd. :cheers:

Randall Graves*

incawg said:
Those complaining about the booing need to get over themselves and grow some thicker skin. It's not like they're burning your flag. Shesh.

Anyway, pretty entertaining period. A lot of speed on both teams.
They're booing teenagers, how mature is that?

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
RallyKiller said:

Well as much as I'm tied of the booing I still don't think that's a good excuse. I was really disappointed in what he did, although I understand it was frustrating and I don't blame him and wouldn't blame anyone for that. I was frustrated myself and I didn't even play the damn game lol. Man it was just a baaaad day to begin with, that didn't help lol.

Hey, US guys I have a question I've been thinking about. Did anyone have a problem with Kyle being picked as coach. I mean, did you have someone else in mind you thought would have been a better choice? Just curious.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
At least there is a crowd to cheer for one team or another. If a game between two non-home teams was being played in any other country there would be at least 1/2 the building empty. If the American fans wanted to ensure that they would have a positive atmosphere they should have driven from home and bought the tickets. And before you say that is too much effort, look at last years tournament.

joe_shannon_1983*

If the U.S.A. is to pull away at all in this game, it will most likely happen during the 2nd period.

Thus, the Czechs have got to keep this game close this 2nd period if they want to pull off the upset. The longer the Czechs keep the game close, the more likely it is that they will be able to stun the Americans, since U.S.A. has all of the pressure on them and might start crumbling if the game is close in the 3rd period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad