WJC QF: Jan 2 GDT - Finland 3 vs. USA 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
JJ was traded because he wouldn't sign with Carolina. They wanted him to play in the American League, and he refused to leave UM, felt he needed more time at the collegiate level.

He got moved to LA, who is more than happy to let him develop and bring him to the pros when his eligibility is finished.

Accually the Canes wanted to play him at the NHL level with all the injuries they had heading into the season and even for the playoffs last season when they made their second attempt to sign Johnson. This seasons situation is what made the Canes pull the triger on the deal though. Kaberle being sidelined was only part of the issue, the bigger part was that the Canes weren't able to re-sign Aaron Ward and that they were outbid on Danny Markov. With Wallin sidelined to begin the season as well they were in a tight spot and hoping that Johnson would be able to step in to fill the role of a physical defenseman and provide some of the offense that Kaberle did on the powerplay. He wouldn't sign so he was shiped along with the 2.5 million dollar #7 defenseman that was Oleg Tverdovsky for Gleason and Belanger, Gleason being the central point of the trade from a Canes perspective. I'm still not too thrilled with the return but the Canes were stuck in a tight spot and JR did what he felt he had to do to give the team a chance to win this year rather then in the long term.

edit: Kane is really making a statement in this tourny, could easily be a top 3 pick when all is said and done.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Goal. The second PP finally working (they've looked better than the first line throughout the game. Osala has been slow, Lindgren has been soft, Lehtonen has been his usual self). I can't believe it's Joensuu...

Kaktus*

Goal. The second PP finally working (they've looked better than the first line throughout the game. Osala has been slow, Lindgren has been soft, Lehtonen has been his usual self). I can't believe it's Joensuu...
That was 3rd PP for team Finland.

lilooet*

Other than that marvellous save on Okposo, how is Rask doing? How is Frazee doing for that matter?

Kaktus*

Second Period
Adding a PP for USA team.

30.01 2 - 2 EQ Finland 24. OSALA, Oskar
(3. HAVERINEN, Joni)
26.38 1 - 2 EQ Finland 18. JOENSUU, Jesse
(22. KOMAROV, Leo)
(6. KURKI, Mikael)
24.38 2 min USA 18. ABDELKADER, Justin Hooking
22.11 0 - 2 EQ USA 27. KANE, Pat
(6. JOHNSON, Erik)
First Period
19.00 2 min USA 8. OKPOSO, Kyle Hooking
11.28 0 - 1 EQ USA 6. JOHNSON, Erik
(4. CHORNEY, Taylor)
(19. STOA, Ryan)
8.42 2 min USA 5. GEOFFRION, Blake Hooking
5.34 2 min Finland 2. LAAKSO, Teemu Interference

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Man I can't find this game on anywhere from Canada, nothing on TVU or center ice. Weak. Anyone in Canada able to watch this game? If so, where?

Any thoughts on Chorney so far today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad