GDT: WJC, NYE, Finland vs Sweden, 8:30 EST

Feb 20, 2013
I watched Sweden much more closely because of the Canucks prospects. Overall they started slowly but played well in the second and third periods and controlled play well enough that they probably deserved to win. They almost certainly would have had Havelid been in net. That said, Finland had most of the possession in OT and obviously converted in the shootout.

Once again the standouts for Sweden were the Lindstein-Willander pairing and the top line of Wahlberg-Ostlund-Lekkerimaki, who were often deployed as a 5 man unit. I also thought Unger Sorum and Born had strong games.

Lindstein has been a revelation for Sweden with his calm, competent play, and at this point the decision to leave him off the roster initially looks very silly. Together with Willander that pairing completely controlled play and were involved in both of Sweden's ES goals.

The top line also controlled play and set up most of Sweden's chances. Both of the even strength goals were as a result of extended offensive zone shifts by this line, with Born scoring immediately after replacing Lekkerimiaki and heading directly to the slot to deposit the rebound on the Willander shot for the first goal. The second goal was the result of some good patience by FUS to find Lindstein with some space at the point, again coming shortly after a top line shift and before Finland had had time to change. On the PP, Lekkerimaki finally hit the net from the left circle, beating Vali cleanly on the from the spot where he has taken about 15 shots from so far this tournament. A very deceptive release that looked like it was going far side, but actually went near side and completely fooled Vali. Lekkerimaki also scored Sweden's lone goal in the shootout. Ostlund had the second assist on both the Lekkerimiaki and Born goals, but was noticeable all night in regulation. He was less good in overtime, losing all 3 of his draws, which resulted in Finland being able to maintain possession for most of the OT period, and perhaps more meaningfully meaning that Sweden's most dangerous players (he and Lekkerimaki) were defending for most of their OT time. I can't help but feel that Sweden would have been better off starting Bystedt or Edstrom to try to win possession and follow with Ostlund+Lekkerimaki on the fly. I don't have to much to say about Wahlberg. He is definitely the weakest link on the top line, but he provided a good screen on the Bystedt PP goal.

Once again the second line had a less good game than the third line. I don't think Oskar Pettersson adds much to the line since he is a bigger but less skilled player, which Ohgren and Bystedt don't really need. Still the problem for them is not spreading the ice by using north south room within the zone to open up space. Too often Ohgren button-hooks in the high slot to take a long shot when he would be better served using his defensemen and going to the net for a rebound. Perhaps moving Wagner or even Born (who was rewarded for his good play with a few top line shifts in the third) to the second line in place of O Pettersson would be warranted. Ohgren continues to frustrate and was also at fault defensively for one of the goals against, losing his check who put in the rebound.

The third line was effective once again. Felix Unger Sorum is an interesting player to watch. His physical tools look unrefined: he has an awkward, choppy stride, a weak shot, and left the puck behind him several times while stickhandling on the rush; that said, his poise and patience with the puck is exceptional and was in full display for both of his primary assists. His development will be interesting to follow, but I always prefer prospects with intellectual strengths and physical flaws over those who are strong physically but lack game sense because the strength and movement mechanics are more easily improved.

A poor game for Rudslatt who made a bad choice to regroup in his own zone, and gave the puck away on the first goal against. He then was benched for most of the remainder of the game and only played 2:59 overall.

On defense, Elias Pettersson had a poor game after being probably Sweden's best defenseman through the first 3. He was on the ice for all 4 goals against. Part of this was bad luck, since both of the 5 on 5 goals and the 6 on 5 goal were the result of defensive breakdowns by Swedish forwards, but he did miss the shot block on the first goal, which left Mannisto open to put home the rebound. He was also the closest man to the puck on the other two goals, but only because he was left checking two Finnish forwards in front on both occasions because Swedish forwards lost their checks. There certainly was a similar theme in all these goals and Finland did a good job following up their rebounds in this game. Part of this was Thelin's rebound control, which Havelid may do better, but perhaps this is something teams will look to capitalize on against Sweden moving forward. The PP goal was a nice set play one-timer by the Finns, so more good for them than bad by Sweden on that one. Sometimes the life of a defensive defenseman is to have games like these where your only notable plays are just barely missing preventing the puck from going in your own net. That said, Pettersson did make a good pass early in the second to set up Stenberg for a good chance.

ASP had a better game alongside Salomonsson, but continues to be outplayed by Willander and Lindstein at even strength and by Havelid on the PP. Despite the assist on Lekkerimaki's PP goal, I have not liked his shot selection with the man advantage, and there have been too many weak wristers from the right side with little to no screen. From what I have seen of him in the SHL this year, his shot is clearly a weapon l, but it hasn't come across so far in the WJC. Perhaps some of this is also due to a reliance on trying to set up Lekkerimaki at the left circle, who has missed on a bunch of good looks (but also scored twice from that spot) so far in the tourney. Sweden has the interesting dillema of too many right shot defensemen, with ASP, Havelid, Salomonsson, Johansson, and Willander all shooting right. Perhaps this is partly why Lindstein has looked so effective as a puck moving left hander playing his natural side. I feel that he should be given a try manning the top PP unit to open up the angle for the Lekkerimaki looks.

Last edited:

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Back from my NYE partying.. ended up missing anything after 25 mins, but thanks guys for this thread.. now I kind of know what happened..

At least it feels like we have ~25% chance against Slovaks.. before this SWE game I had lost any hope. :)

On to follow COL-SJ and DAL-CHG before going to sleep.. :)

Edit: Everyone, regardless of who you root for, have a wonderful new year! :thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad