GDT: WJC, NYE, Canada vs Germany, 1:30 EST

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That win was tougher than I was expecting, hopefully they aren't complacent in the next game.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Good work by the Germans keeping it interesting. Didn't love the lack of intensity from Canada in this game. Rousseau wasn't the problem but his issue with getting screened repeatedly was not good. Ultimately this team hasn't done much to inspire a lot of confidence. Continue to be impressed with Celebrini, even with the little things, as he is a fair bit better than I thought. Rehkopf had a good game here too.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I dont like the call on Geekie at all. Im from Europe and i know the rules here very well, any hit with incidential, and more than often even any contact to the head is a no go at least here in Finland. But what is Geekie supposed to do there, drop to his knees before the hit so that i doesnt connect with the head?

I understand that the game is faster than ever, and its not pretty when big boys collide and someone gets concussions or worse. But it's about time they decide to either ban hitting or have some sense in these calls.

I kind of understand IIHF's stand in they REALLY do not want to host a junior tournament where there will be some hit that has such results that ends players career or worse. But just throwing major penalties like candy hardly is the answer.

Edit: Finally a friend sent me a video of the incident with replays and slow-mo's and it looks like Geekie leaves his feet off the ice and the hit is aimed upwards, maybe it was a right call after all. Then again its very fine line with these hits that are thrown from directly in front of the opposing player, if you ban every hit that has contact to the head you eliminate all open ice checks pretty much. But yes after seeing the slow-mo and replays this might have been the right call, trusting that referees get these right every time is very courageous.

Last edited:
Reactions: WPGDEVILS

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
I dont like the call on Geekie at all. Im from Europe and i know the rules here very well, any hit with incidential, and more than often even any contact to the head is a no go at least here in Finland. But what is Geekie supposed to do there, drop to his knees before the hit so that i doesnt connect with the head?

I understand that the game is faster than ever, and its not pretty when big boys collide and someone gets concussions or worse. But it's about time they decide to either ban hitting or have some sense in these calls.

I kind of understand IIHF's stand in they REALLY do not want to host a junior tournament where there will be some hit that has such results that ends players career or worse. But just throwing major penalties like candy hardly is the answer.

Its not a god given right to throw hits, its something that is self-chosen. Its up to the player making the hit to deliver a safe hit! If anything goes wrong the player making the hit will get penalized for it. If the player you are lining up is in a vulnerable position that does not give you a freebie run to demolish his skull!

Geekie should have bailed out of the hit or at least let up, instead he want full steam and left the ice flying because of the force he put into someones head.

Typical reckless hit that should get 5 + game + 2-4 games suspension! In the SHL this would easily be 4+ game suspension and rightly so.

Last edited:

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Its not a right to throw hits, its something that is self-chosen. Its up to the player making the hit to deliver a safe hit! If anything goes wrong the player making the hit will get penalized for it. If the player you are lining up is in a vulnerable position that does not give you a freebie run to demolish his skull!

Geekie should have bailed out of the hit or at least let up, instead he want full steam and left the ice because of the force!

Typical reckless hit that should get 5 + game + 2-4 games suspension!
I finally saw a replay with slow-mo and edited my message with better opinion, but i still think its a very fine line with these and relying on referees getting things right too much.

Also its as important as to throw a safe hit, to take one properly which is often forgotten in these discussions, that doesnt apply to this specific hit though.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Its not a right to throw hits, its something that is self-chosen. Its up to the player making the hit to deliver a safe hit! If anything goes wrong the player making the hit will get penalized for it. If the player you are lining up is in a vulnerable position that does not give you a freebie run to demolish his skull!

Geekie should have bailed out of the hit or at least let up, instead he want full steam and left the ice flying because of the force he put into someones head.

Typical reckless hit that should get 5 + game + 2-4 games suspension! In the SHL this would easily be 4+ game suspension and rightly so.
4 game suspension lmao

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
I finally saw a replay with slow-mo and edited my message with better opinion, but i still think its a very fine line with these and relying on referees getting thins right too much.

I dont think there is anything complicated with this, if you hit someone in the head as the main principle of contact you will face the punishment! If you dont want to gamble and take the risk you dont go out there hunting for pretty meaningless big hits!
You win a hockey game by scoring goals, flying into people who no longer has the puck is not necessary or vital part of the game, so you have to pick and choose when to risk to hammer someone!

The refs has the chance to review which is great so that nobody gets ejected based on quick on ice call!

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I dont think there is anything complicated with this, if you hit someone in the head as the main principle of contact you will face the punishment! If you dont want to gamble and take the risk you dont go out there hunting for pretty meaningless big hits!
You win a hockey game by scoring goals, flying into people who no longer has the puck is not necessary or vital part of the game, so you have to pick and choose when to risk to hammer someone!

The refs has the chance to review which is great so that nobody gets ejected based on quick on ice call!
So my earlier point stands, just ban hitting all together then. Get 0 goals for hits.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
So my earlier point stands, just ban hitting all together then. Get 0 goals for hits.

It does not stand, you can hit as much as you want as long as you keep it clean! If you cant keep it clean dont hit! Maybe 1 hit out 500 is punished with a game misconduct, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
4 game suspension lmao
Would be in order if they reviewed it and felt like Geekie was headhunting and purposely jumped and aimed his hit towards his head, which no one with a brain can see no matter how many times they watch this hit.

It does not stand, you can hit as much as you want as long as you keep it clean! If you cant keep it clean dont hit! Maybe 1 hit out 500 is punished with a game misconduct, so I have no idea what you are talking about.
Yeah, so what you seem to want is speed limits for hits, and a break on the play so they can ask if the receiving player is ready to be hit.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Would be in order if they reviewed it and felt like Geekie was headhunting and purposely jumped and aimed his hit towards his head, which no one with a brain can see no matter how many times they watch this hit.

If he would have been head hunting a player with intent to injure it would be 7+ games. So 2-4 for this would be pretty much what you could expect, not often you see someone jump into a hit like that with the head being the only principle of contact!

Yeah, so what you seem to want is speed limits for hits, and a break on the play so they can ask if the receiving player is ready to be hit.

There are plenty of hard hitting players who manages to NOT throw this kind dangerous and reckless hits, so its up to this Geek to improve his hitting skills rather than the game to adapt its rules to make his poor hits legal!

Focus more on scoring than bloodlust and Geekie will be just fine!

Last edited:

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
this kind dangerous and reckless hits, so its up to this Geek to improve his hitting skills
He went to hit a dude straight from the front, to get his team going and getting himself going for the game, not to try and kill someone like you make it sound. Got a bit too fired up and maybe left his skates just before the hit that happens a lot, got the punishment and a major penalty. You calling for 4games for that is just absurd, but the great thing is we can have different opinions and looks like we do so lets just leave it at that.

Have a great new year buddy!

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Will say it again. Reading GDTs after the game ends is a wild ride. Most of you need to relax, just in general. It’s only a game.

Reactions: Pieck

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023
He went to hit a dude straight from the front, to get his team going and getting himself going for the game, not to try and kill someone like you make it sound. Got a bit too fired up and maybe left his skates just before the hit that happens a lot, got the punishment and a major penalty. You calling for 4games for that is just absurd, but the great thing is we can have different opinions and looks like we do so lets just leave it at that.

Have a great new year buddy!
I get the point you're making but, it says a lot about Canadian hockey that we teach our kids that they need to throw these meaningless hits to get the team fired up. This Bobby Clarke mindset needs to end.

Fire up a team by scoring more goals and dominating the puck possession..

Reactions: Czechboy

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I get the point you're making but, it says a lot about Canadian hockey that we teach our kids that they need to throw these meaningless hits to get the team fired up. This Bobby Clarke mindset needs to end.

What makes a hit meaningless and what does make one meaningful?

Reactions: Heldig

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast

I watched every other team at least once during the tournament and all of them hit to some extent or another - some quite violently so maybe stop with the “Canada is so terrible and aggressive” bullshit.

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023
I watched every other team at least once during the tournament and all of them hit to some extent or another - some quite violently so maybe stop with the “Canada is so terrible and aggressive” bullshit.
Yeah so I ain't stopping with anything I choose to say. I also ain't talking about other countries. I'm talking about Canada and Geekie specifically.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Or that is just a ridiculous opinion lol he will be playing in the QF.
No it isn't.
It has been shown by a multitude of long-term studies that concussions during brain development have negative Long Term effects. And that starts with the First concussion you get.

In the NHL and for men its fine but until the brain is developed and especially during the early years of development we should be extra careful.
That does Not mean banning hitting, but to Hit the right way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00