GDT: WJC, Jan 2 QF, Cesko vs Canada, 8:30 EST

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I don't think much changed in the caucasian population. But when you import people, your population and dynamics change. (this is not an argument against importing people)
Unfortunate that hockey is so expensive. Hopefully Hockey Canada is working on better strategies to get the next generation/era of Canadians into hockey. At least make sure ball hockey is prevalent again

Reactions: SOLR

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
When your median is HIGHER than your prime by 4 years?

Your qualitative median is over 30 easily.
What? Look at the overall nhl demographics. 877 nhl players. The 439th oldest player is Michael Carcone. Born 5/19/1996.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
What? Look at the overall nhl demographics. 877 nhl players. The 439th oldest player is Michael Carcone. Born 5/19/1996.
I think @SOLR is talking about prime productive NHL age, which many think is in the 22-26 age range, so 24 is a solid number for that. But this is more applicable for forwards; defensemen and goalies have a slightly older prime productive age range.

Reactions: SOLR

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Canada should be able to overcome a few top guys not being there. (Bedard, Fantili, Korchinski, and the injuries to Luneau and Molendyk) Not sure about the roster construction, but was a down year for sure.

I am sure lots of Canadian fans will come here and use the "If we had" excuse. But that's an excuse. They are almost all NHL drafted, many in the 1st round. Should have no excuses not to medal.

You're exactly right as we take pride in our boys. We're the best at hockey. The chemistry could have been better is my excuse. Playing musical chairs throughout the tournament isn't a great choice always in my opinion.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Would you care if Czechia, Slovakia, Sweden and Finland weren't in the tournament?

Because that is what would happen if Russia was there.
Good point. I know we are not allowed to talk about politics here but the hockey circles in Finland are vehemently, like really genuinely vehemently for continuing the Russian absence and it really would not be likely that we would participate, if they would be allowed under the present circumstances.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
You're exactly right as we take pride in our boys. We're the best at hockey. The chemistry could have been better is my excuse. Playing musical chairs throughout the tournament isn't a great choice always in my opinion.
Coaching I think was a bit of an issue. We lost to a team that was willing to sacrifice enough to get the job done. Kudos to them.

Reactions: lakai17

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Coaching I think was a bit of an issue. We lost to a team that was willing to sacrifice enough to get the job done. Kudos to them.
I think in the autopsy that will be done of this tournament, roster construction will be the most prevailing theme.

Sure, 2004 is not a strong age group for Canada and losing all those guys to pro hockey doesn’t help, but there’s no reason to self-handicap yourself by bringing players like Minten, Allard and Cowan who were brought seemingly for niche roles and character rather than pure offensive ability. Heidt, Nadeau, Catton, and many other that had a more offensive profile should have been considered. I can see the logic in bringing Beck and Danielson, but you don’t really need more than 2 or 3 of these players on a supposed all star team playing on big ice.

Second comes utilization. I thought Letang’s special teams and defensive tactics were fine, but the team completely lacked inspiration on zone entries and failed to have many interior chances until the dying moment of the czech game all tournament long. Why Fraser Minten was leaned on to start 3v3 overtime, play fist line minutes all tournament long, and play PP1, I have no idea. At best he’s a 4th line winger with Danielson and Beck. Players like Celebrini (who thankfully was eventually elevated), Yager, and Rehkopf who were creating offense and outperforming the top 6 even with their little TOI were still held back. Very questionable utilization.

Overall a relatively expected showing, but Canada has had talent levels similar to this (thinking of 2018) and won gold, so the blame must fall on the feet of the GM and Scott Salmond’s roster construction, and Letang’s questionable utilization.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I think in the autopsy that will be done of this tournament, roster construction will be the most prevailing theme.

Sure, 2004 is not a strong age group for Canada and losing all those guys to pro hockey doesn’t help, but there’s no reason to self-handicap yourself by bringing players like Minten, Allard and Cowan who were brought seemingly for niche roles and character rather than pure offensive ability. Heidt, Nadeau, Catton, and many other that had a more offensive profile should have been considered. I can see the logic in bringing Beck and Danielson, but you don’t really need more than 2 or 3 of these players on a supposed all star team playing on big ice.

Second comes utilization. I thought Letang’s special teams and defensive tactics were fine, but the team completely lacked inspiration on zone entries and failed to have many interior chances until the dying moment of the czech game all tournament long. Why Fraser Minten was leaned on to start 3v3 overtime, play fist line minutes all tournament long, and play PP1, I have no idea. At best he’s a 4th line winger with Danielson and Beck. Players like Celebrini (who thankfully was eventually elevated), Yager, and Rehkopf who were creating offense and outperforming the top 6 even with their little TOI were still held back. Very questionable utilization.

Overall a relatively expected showing, but Canada has had talent levels similar to this (thinking of 2018) and won gold, so the blame must fall on the feet of the GM and Scott Salmond’s roster construction, and Letang’s questionable utilization.
I think not having Molendyk really hurt them. Molendyk would have taken some pressure off of Mateychuk, and Molendyk is quite dynamic. Most haven't seen him play much unless you're a Dub/prospects enthusiast or Predators fan, he's shifty and that would have been nice to have against the Czechs

Reactions: Mathieukferland

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
This is the sad part. When all of us looked at the roster we hoped for a result, but expected what we got.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
2018 Canada had Carter Hart in net. They actually got outshot by USA and Sweden but a top goalie versus a guy who is “good enough” as long as the team outplays the opposition by enough is a big difference.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
2018 Canada had Carter Hart in net. They actually got outshot by USA and Sweden but a top goalie versus a guy who is “good enough” as long as the team outplays the opposition by enough is a big difference.

I remember when Canada could just assume we’d have good goaltending.

Man is that weird now.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
They got lucky with the seeding as well; their path the the final was vastly different because of Slovakia’s upset against the USA. Meant they played Switzerland Abad a weaker Czech team on the way to the final

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Canada were the better team for two periods but I must give the Czech coaches credit for the PK. They did their homework and not only did the homework but got their players to execute.

Czechs played and ol school box that turned into a 3-1 high press on Canada's umbrella which they knew they could do as there were no goal line plays.. If Canada had put someone on the goal line, no way there could have been a PK like that... Czechs got that right and was a big reason they won this game.

No adjustments from Canadian coaches or players.. I hope the Czechs win it all at this point. They are overdue..

Sep 18, 2009
1704313522778.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Canada were the better team for two periods but I must give the Czech coaches credit for the PK. They did their homework and not only did the homework but got their players to execute.

Czechs played and ol school box that turned into a 3-1 high press on Canada's umbrella which they knew they could do as there were no goal line plays.. If Canada had put someone on the goal line, no way there could have been a PK like that... Czechs got that right and was a big reason they won this game.

No adjustments from Canadian coaches or players.. I hope the Czechs win it all at this point. They are overdue..
Augusta also shortened that bench... Put Kulich with Sale but he also put two energy guys with Sapo. Seemed nuts to me but that line could skate with Canada and keep up speed wise. I was happy with the adjustment. He ran cibilka hard too and that paid off. Some nice choices.

The last one is that bottom pair on D. I thought we were toast when we lost port, Dvorak and jiricek. Hasn't heard of prcik. Knew about Galvas. That pair has been great.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

It would be nice to see Czechia beat the fricking Americans actually

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad