Prospect Info: WJC Invites

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Thought this could use it's own thread.

Gauthier named to the 25 man team Canada camp. Brown, Finn left out.
Rielly staying with Leafs.

Canada roster:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jr...nship-roster-nearly-170029511.html#more-27412

large

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Frédérik Gauthier, Rimouski Océanic (QMJHL) — The Toronto Maple Leafs' top pick from 2013 offers bulk at 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds and is a solid two-way centre. The quintessential candidate to play on a grind line,

Looks like a 3rd line checking role is Gauthier's to lose for the tourney.

Brent Sutter loves his role players.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Finn not being there isn't shocking given how small the roster is.

No Domi, Gaunce or Nurse is stunning.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Pretty criminal to keep Finn off of the team. I personally don't see a name listed that has outperformed him.

Also, no offense to Fucale, but we're pretty much doomed unless he picks up his play fast.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I can understand Brown, but leaving Finn off is an outrage.

Oh and no Nurse? Lmfao this is a joke.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Such WHL bias from Sutter. Quite disappointing really.

How Nurse, Finn and Matheson aren't there is ridiculous.

Agreed, big time. Finn and Matheson should've been there 100%. Nurse is an 18 year old so that's somewhat more understandable but with the season he's been having it's still bull.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I feel bad for Brown because he's been playing so good last 2 years. Brown and Finn both deserve a shot to at least tryout for this team.

mikebel111*

finn left off is just not right, brown I could understand

but finn is the best d man on Guelph, PPG, and has been healthy

that's just a joke he isn't on there.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Agreed, big time. Finn and Matheson should've been there 100%. Nurse is an 18 year old so that's somewhat more understandable but with the season he's been having it's still bull.

He can almost make an NHL team, But he can't get an invite to the WJC

:laugh:

Finn is pretty much Guelph's Ryan Suter and Matheson has been a stand out in the NCAA as teenager.

Messed up.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Seriously I don't even get how Bigras is there over Finn. Finn and Bigras are similar players but Finn is just all around better. Finn is just the better player and prospect.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Interesting approach with the defence on the roster.

In previous years, they've had the special teams guru in the likes of Murphy and Ellis that could control the puck and could skate well. It seems like this year they've gone with the well rounded type of players and not so specific one area of the game.

Pretty interesting that they left Domi and Nurse off the list.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
the brown and mcdavid argument is the same as the crosby kunitz argument.... the guy is 2ppg, and he doesnt even get an invite? what the f?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Finn being left off is a surprise to me, thought he would atleast be invited. With the offensive power this team has, I never thought Verhaeghe would be an invite. This is usually a 19 year old tournament.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Some surprising names on and not-on the list. But I'm not going to pretend I'm a junior scout and know the in's and outs of all these guys like others feel the need to do.

I just hope it's not another dissapointing year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Finn being left off is a surprise to me, thought he would atleast be invited. With the offensive power this team has, I never thought Verhaeghe would be an invite. This is usually a 19 year old tournament.

Sutter and TC are doing things differently.

In the past they'd invite 30-35 players and then cut that down to active roster. However this time they have essentially named the team without a selection camp process with only a couple of spares\bubble players.

In Sutter's mind inviting Finn and cutting Finn as he didn't believe he would be on his final team has the same end result as not inviting him in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad