WJC Group A: Dec 29 GDT - Norway vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

NBHABSFAN said:
Ya agree, its not the score its the burtal game that was called on both teams. I don't want to watch a game where it is played entirely on the PP or PK.
I've been waiting all week for Saturday night.......Canada -U.S.It has all the hallmarks of a great one.But is that what i'm gonna see again on Saturday what i saw tonight? Those are two physical teams,it can be a doozy win or lose.But not if they call it like that.Don't ruin it for me,i'm all geared up for it.

Man,they're gonna screw it all up like that.

espo*

The Viking Fury said:
Didn't feel like reading the whole thread...How did Pokulok look, if he played at all?
He played 17.4 seconds and turned well on his blades in his time on the ice.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
The Viking Fury said:
Didn't feel like reading the whole thread...How did Pokulok look, if he played at all?

he played well ... 2 shifts, but we noticed him twice, another guy who shouldn't spend the whole game on the bench. No reason to bench anyone against Switzerland and Norway.

Knighttown

Jun 4, 2005
El_Scoobo said:
I can't say enough good things about Staal. What a player he is.

Blocking shots, jumping in on the play. What a future this kid has.

Pierre...Is that you???

:biglaugh:

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
50 shots on goal, 46 stopped. Great game from the Norwegian goalie. Not a bad effort from Canada to put that many shots on goal IMO. Good game to the Norwegians as well for putting up a good game.

The officiating really took the wind out of the game. Oh yes, of course many were real penalties if you apply the EXACT letter of the law. But come on, there's a reason humans ref these games. There has to be some common sense applied as well. When you have an arena full of mostly savvy hockey fans there's going to be a reason why they boo the ref so loud and call for a new one, and it isn't because they're calling a good game.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Pathfinder said:
50 shots on goal, 46 stopped. Great game from the Norwegian goalie. Not a bad effort from Canada to put that many shots on goal IMO. Good game to the Norwegians as well for putting up a good game.

The officiating really took the wind out of the game. Oh yes, of course many were real penalties if you apply the EXACT letter of the law. But come on, there's a reason humans ref these games. There has to be some common sense applied as well. When you have an arena full of mostly savvy hockey fans there's going to be a reason why they boo the ref so loud and call for a new one, and it isn't because they're calling a good game.

rules are never applied, that's why players keep on taking advantage, and whenever the rules are applied everybody's whining

and why should Canadians whine if the penalties are called when our players are playing against some other guys who started playing hockey a couple weeks ago. Sutter should have been thrilled, because that way the PP could have got started ... instead, nah, let's just whine and risk losing players at the end of the game because of the brawl.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Pathfinder said:

So that is why it was aan NHL ref who reffed Russia-USA semifinal is Salt Lake, because he did not exactly apply letter of the law and I was wondering why all the calls were such one-sided.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Pathfinder said:
There has to be some common sense applied as well.

Exactly. Hooking is one thing, but laying a stick for a split second on the side of a guy who can squat 500 pounds isn't obstruction.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Please stop whining and tell TSN to stop whining. There are always bad calls, everywhere - hockey, soccer, basketball and boxing, ALWAYS. But the whining I witnessed watching TSN today just makes me not to want watching any of these games again.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Macman said:
Exactly. Hooking is one thing, but laying a stick for a split second on the side of a guy who can squat 500 pounds isn't obstruction.

is he allowed to hook that guy ?

no

even if that doesn't affect the player, it's a penalty

just don't do it again, you know it's a penalty, why would you do it ?

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
There's the difference between a poor ref and a good ref. A good ref knows how to apply the rules, firm, fair and with discretion. A poor ref just blindly enforces them to the letter.

Canadians, as hockey fans, should care when officiating is terrible and I think they did. Which is why they booed calls against Norway as well.

Sutter had nothing to do with the brawl. He was clearly calling the players away from it.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Siberian said:
Please stop whining and tell TSN to stop whining. There are always bad calls, everywhere - hockey, soccer, basketball and boxing, ALWAYS. But the whining I witnessed watching TSN today just makes me not to want watching any of these games again.

it's always that way in hockey. When I first heard of some studies that were made in Laurier or some other university I started laughing. They said that in hockey in general the authorities and rules are not respected.

Then I started paying attention to those things, and damn they're right. There's absolutely no sense of respect for the referees in hockey. It's way way way way way worse than in any other sport. One thing they pointed out was that players don't mind and are encouraged to take penalties over and over again, even major penalties. You don't see this in any other sport.

Macman

May 15, 2004
FSU Seminoles said:

no

I'm not talking about hooking. There were a few calls tonight where guys laid their sticks on the sides of guys -- no obstruction whatsoever -- and it was whistled. There is no justification for it, no matter how you try.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
shakes said:
I would rather they learn their lesson in a game against Norway than in a game against the US or Russia..

I should have said, benching someone for a mistake that hasn't been commited twice at least.

Downie took I don't know how many penalties and still got his pp time. While guys like Latendresse and that kid who hasn't played yet don't play because for whatever reason they made a mistake while lacing up their skates or something.

espo*

FSU Seminoles said:

no

o.k,i agree.....no problem.But when players can't hit legally FSU,it ruins the game.The game is set up for Saturday,two teams that like to play the body,are they gonna screw this puppy up or am i gonna see a great one like it SHOULD be.

We win we win,we lose we lose.I can take it,just let me see them go at it,full balls to the wall.Is that too much to ask? God knows i don't ask for much.I don't want them screwing the games up.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Macman said:
I'm not talking about hooking. There were a few calls tonight where guys laid their sticks on the sides of guys -- no obstruction whatsoever -- and it was whistled. There is no justification for it, no matter how you try.

the calls you're refering too are probably situations where the guy had his stick up and slowed the guy a little bit ... and that's a penalty

NBHABSFAN

Mar 17, 2004
Ottawa
I am really surprised on how many people can side with the officiating. Like someone said its how you apply the rules that makes a good official tonight was a joke.

Third Period
59.54 2 min Norway 15. HOYGARD, Stian Slashing
59.54 2 min Norway 15. HOYGARD, Stian Roughing
59.54 2 min Norway 15. HOYGARD, Stian Roughing
59.54 10 min Norway 15. HOYGARD, Stian Misconduct
59.54 2 min Norway 23. GRAFSRONNINGEN, Eirik Roughing
59.54 2 min Norway 23. GRAFSRONNINGEN, Eirik Roughing
59.54 10 min Norway 23. GRAFSRONNINGEN, Eirik Misconduct
59.54 2 min Norway 21. JENSEN, Joakim Roughing
59.54 2 min Norway 21. JENSEN, Joakim Roughing
59.54 10 min Norway 21. JENSEN, Joakim Misconduct
59.54 2 min Canada 27. PYATT, Tommy Roughing
59.54 2 min Canada 27. PYATT, Tommy Roughing
59.54 10 min Canada 27. PYATT, Tommy Misconduct
59.54 2 min Canada 22. BERTRAM, Daniel Roughing
59.54 2 min Canada 22. BERTRAM, Daniel Roughing
59.54 10 min Canada 22. BERTRAM, Daniel Misconduct
59.54 10 min Canada 25. BARKER, Cameron Misconduct
59.54 2 min Canada 25. BARKER, Cameron Roughing
59.54 2 min Canada 25. BARKER, Cameron Roughing
59.44 2 min Canada 23. OMARRA, Ryan Checking to the head
59.44 10 min Canada 23. OMARRA, Ryan Misconduct
59.01 2 min Norway 28. ROEST, Niklas Roughing
59.01 2 min Canada 7. DOWNIE, Steve Roughing
57.28 2 min Norway 23. GRAFSRONNINGEN, Eirik Boarding
52.25 2 min Norway TEAM PENALTY Too many players on the ice
50.12 2 min Canada 7. DOWNIE, Steve Holding
48.37 2 min Canada 22. BERTRAM, Daniel Slashing
45.54 2 min Norway 25. BONSAKSEN, Alexander Cross-checking
44.00 2 min Norway 5. NYGARD, Jonas Highsticking
41.17 2 min Canada 7. DOWNIE, Steve Hooking

Second Period
38.30 2 min Norway 25. BONSAKSEN, Alexander Cross-checking
33.02 2 min Norway 11. HOLOS, Jonas Holding the stick
32.04 2 min Canada 6. BOURDON, Luc Holding
28.50 2 min Canada 12. LETANG, Kristopher Delaying the game
27.21 2 min Norway 11. HOLOS, Jonas Hooking
26.51 2 min Canada 19. BOLLAND, David Charging
21.42 2 min Norway 17. OSTLI, Lars Hooking
21.42 2 min Norway 11. HOLOS, Jonas Holding
20.00 2 min Canada 4. PARENT, Ryan Roughing

First Period
19.27 2 min Canada 19. BOLLAND, David Highsticking
19.16 2 min Norway 17. OSTLI, Lars Holding
18.31 2 min Canada 7. DOWNIE, Steve Cross-checking
17.15 2 min Norway 25. BONSAKSEN, Alexander Highsticking
16.46 2 min Norway 23. GRAFSRONNINGEN, Eirik Roughing
14.57 2 min Norway 23. GRAFSRONNINGEN, Eirik Holding
12.40 2 min Canada 25. BARKER, Cameron Tripping
9.06 2 min Norway 28. ROEST, Niklas Interference
8.08 2 min Canada 7. DOWNIE, Steve Roughing
8.08 2 min Norway 25. BONSAKSEN, Alexander Interference
7.17 2 min Canada 22. BERTRAM, Daniel Interference
3.55 2 min Norway 11. HOLOS, Jonas Hooking
2.48 2 min Canada 10. RUSSELL, Kris Charging

parisefan55

Dec 30, 2003
shakes said:
I would rather they learn their lesson in a game against Norway than in a game against the US or Russia..

Well, you would have thought they learned their lesson against the Swiss.

The US Canada game is going to be a great game IMO. Canada won easily over the Fins, and the US sort of struggled. The US absolutely murdered Norway while the Canadians relied on a 3 goals in 5 minutes flurry to put this out of the "close game" category.

It will be ineteresting to see what the US does tomorrow against the Swiss. If they can blow them out of the water I think that may be an indication of the way things will go Saturday. Regardless I think the US is going to have a slight advantage over Canada, but its anyones game.

I really think a key is going to be the US goalie situation. They have to start Frazee IMO. Schneider is just not that good in this tournament. Say what you want about the Canadian game today, Pogge still didnt allow a goal and even with all those penalties. Schneider allowed Norway to score twice on him, which is inexcusible, IMO. Lets also not forget how Belarus pooped on him last year. he's not a bad college goalie, but something freaks him out about playing WJHC's...and he lets in too many softies.

Knighttown

Jun 4, 2005
Very concerned about the US game as a Canadian fan. I think it could be a great game if Canada is allowed to initiate on the skilled Americans but if it comes down to a battle of the powerplays we might be in trouble. It seems only Toews and Bolland are creative with the puck and that Boyd kid has buttery-soft hands. The huge missing piece of the puzzle is a power-play quarterback like Ian White or Carlo Colaiocovo. Barker and Bourdon are studs but the one-timer needs to be an option not THE option. I'd put Cogliano or Bolland back there (again) opposite Bourdon and try more stuff down low. With Schremp and Kessell feeding the Johnson's, and Canada's PKers running around like headless chickens it seems like a potential for trouble.

US powerplays:

0-4= 3-2 Canada
4-8= 5-3 U.S.
>8 = 6-1 U.S.

A fine line between playing Canadian hockey and shooting yourself in the foot.

Macman

May 15, 2004
FSU Seminoles said:
the calls you're refering too are probably situations where the guy had his stick up and slowed the guy a little bit ... and that's a penalty

I agree, but that's not what I was seeing at times. The guy sucked for both sides. He shouldn't be given another opportunity to screw up another game.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
cyclops said:
o.k,i agree.....no problem.But when players can't hit legally FSU,it ruins the game.The game is set up for Saturday,two teams that like to play the body,are they gonna screw this puppy up or am i gonna see a great one like it SHOULD be.

We win we win,we lose we lose.I can take it,just let me see them go at it,full balls to the wall.Is that too much to ask? God knows i don't ask for much.I don't want them screwing the games up.

I agree, but there were maybe 4 penalties called for that during the game out of 35 ?

it's always been that way during the WJC, if they want to fix this thing then they have to talk it over before the tournament, not during. You know it will be that way, and it will be that way until they change things. Sutter lost his clam and influenced his players, that's inexcusable.

and by the way ... you're not talking of hits from behind like the one called on the Norwegian like midway in the 3rd ?

because McGuire actually defended a guy who hit someone from behind, even if the guy isn't dead on the ice it's still a penalty

espo*

Did anyone just catch Burkie talking about the ref calling a moment ago?

He said when they went into Nagano and Salt Lake the one thing they fought for with bettman were NHL reafs because they are the best in the world,it's something they insisted on.This time they did'nt and with the way they are trying to implement the no tolerance policy here so far it's terrifying to think that many games won't be reffed by NHL zebras.And man,so am i.That tournament could absolutely stink if it's called like this.We're hockey fans,we wanna see hockey.

We may not.

espo*

FSU Seminoles said:
I agree, but there were maybe 4 penalties called for that during the game out of 35 ?

it's always been that way during the WJC, if they want to fix this thing then they have to talk it over before the tournament, not during. You know it will be that way, and it will be that way until they change things. Sutter lost his clam and influenced his players, that's inexcusable.

and by the way ... you're not talking of hits from behind like the one called on the Norwegian like midway in the 3rd ?

because McGuire actually defended a guy who hit someone from behind, even if the guy isn't dead on the ice it's still a penalty
fsu,i saw lot's of ridiculous calls out there and it ruined the game.They gotta be smarter,thats all man.I don't want to see it Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad