WJC Gold Medal Game: Game Day Thread - Canada vs. USA (3-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
Aki Fan said:
:handclap: USA!!!!!!!! Wooo hoooo we finally have a gold

Cue: "what if's" , "we should have", ref bashing, name calling etc......

None of that from me...........

WE'll get you in the world cup!!!
otherwise congratulations USA, Too bad it was in school time and i couldnt watch it.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Anyone know what McGuire was saying at the end of the game? Was he a stand up guy and gave credit where credit was due? Or did he constantly talk about the 'fluke goals'. :dunno:

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Way to go, Team USA!

:handclap:

First off, that was a terrific game! Canada (despite the loss) I thought were absolutely phenomenal much of the game. This Crosby kid is a stud!

Second, to the Fleury bashers.....yeah, it was a fluky goal that was the game-winner for Team USA, but the Canadians gave up 3 goals in the 3rd period. That to me was equally as surprising as the Fleury goal.

Finally, to Team USA. I'm especially proud because most of these guys are NCAA guys. I've already seen/closely followed nearly the entire team and will continue to do so when they resume NCAA play. These guys deserve alot of credit for hanging in there and not giving up.

...and how about the play of Alvaro Montoya?! WOW!!!!

Good going guys!

One final thing....Pierre Maguire needs to do his NCAA homework, because some of his comments were off-base and wrong. Case & point, he mentioned the absence of Jimmy Howard and his fluky injury that he sustained just before the game against Dartmouth prior to the WJC. Maguire mentioned that because Dartmouth and Maine do not play in the same conference that that particular game "doesn't mean anything". WRONG!!! It DOES mean something. It means positioning in national rankings, particularly if it's against a nationally ranked team (which both Dartmouth and Maine currently are), as well as the Pair-Wise rankings (which is one of the basis for who goes to Frozen Four Tournament and who doesn't).

Dr_Chimera*

tigerwilliams said:
FLEURY.......I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT YEAR IN JUNIORS CUZ YOU SUUUUUCK , YOU CHOKER :madfire: ,YOU'LL NEVER PLAY IN THE NHL THE WAY YOU PLAYED LOSER :madfire:

Somewhere out there, Pascal Leclaire is breathing a sigh of relief.

No longer is he the number one scapegoat.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
tigerwilliams said:
FLEURY.......I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT YEAR IN JUNIORS CUZ YOU SUUUUUCK , YOU CHOKER :madfire: ,YOU'LL NEVER PLAY IN THE NHL THE WAY YOU PLAYED LOSER :madfire:

Give the kid a break. You, as well as everyone else knows this kid is going to be an all-star NHL goalie. One so-so tourney and 1 fluke goal doesn't make a career.

chicpea*

Dr_Chimera said:
Somewhere out there, Pascal Leclaire is breathing a sigh of relief. No longer is he the number one scapegoat.

touché ;)

st_roland

Thanks to all the canadians on this thread, you really showed class. Well, except for the psychos raining obscenities down on MA Fleury. Hes a super, talented kid regardless of his performance at this tournament. That kind of negativity will only hurt your country and this fine game of ours.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I'm so pumped over this. I still can't really believe they won. Canada was just a machine throughout the tournament and after that second period I was trying to prepare for the loss. I'm just glad I got my VCR to work so I'll always have this. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for US hockey.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
st_roland said:
Thanks to all the canadians on this thread, you really showed class. Well, except for the psychos raining obscenities down on MA Fleury. Hes a super, talented kid regardless of his performance at this tournament. That kind of negativity will only hurt your country and this fine game of ours.

Completely agree.

Almost every Canadian in this thread has handled themselves with class and that should be applauded. Congratulations Team Canada as well, I know it wasn't the result you wanted, but you deserve props.

Team USA: Wow. Never gave it up. I thought after the 2nd, which saw Canada take a 2 goal lead and MAF stone every shot, including some amazing saves, that we were surely snake bitten, but as they say, you make your own luck and played with heart during the 3rd period. GOOO USA!!! CONGRATS GUYS!!

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
An awesome tournament.

I'd like to express my gratitude to the multitudes of classy Canadian posters on this thread who have taken the high road by praising Team USA instead of denigrating the Americans' performance.

When I asked Mark Stuart about his team's chances at the WJC in Nashville back in June, he didn't go so far as to 'guarantee' that the U.S. would win, but he did say that with the team they were going to put on the ice, anything less than a Gold Medal would be 'unacceptable.' That folks, is leadership in the most basic sense, and why he was wearing the 'C' out there.

Once again- I'd like to congratulate Team Canada on putting on a terrific show. This one went down to the wire as any clash of the titans should, and after watching the games this past week, I'd daresay that anyone who thinks the game of hockey is deteriorating just hasn't been paying attention.

Kirk

Dartmouth 02

Nov 18, 2003
New York, NY
Visit site
i am absolutely ecstatic right now

what a fantastic game. canada really put on a lot of pressure, their forwards pretty much dominated the US D as many predicted. but our forwards really made their chances and montoya held us in there. i dont understand why the US 4th line got so little ice time, booth was phenomenal in the shifts he got.

the canadian team is one of the most talented i can ever recall, and man is their future bright. i was skeptical on crosby for awhile, but man did he create out there. congrats on a classy, admirable job to the entire team.

as for the USA, it doesnt get much better than this. the 96 WC may never be topped in my own memories, but this was spectacular as well. coming back from that deficit after being dominated in the 2nd and against such a tremendous opponent is really something special.

i hope we see these guys battling one another at tournaments for decades. the US deserved this, its VERY special to the program and to us fans.

makes this calgary-ranger game im watching now seem dull....

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Just for those Americans out there that haven't seen any video of the game, ESPN has been showing highlights of the game during the intermissions of the Blues - Wild game, and NHL2NIGHT is supposed to offer even more coverage later on.

nordique

Dartmouth 02 said:
the canadian team is one of the most talented i can ever recall, and man is their future bright. i was skeptical on crosby for awhile, but man did he create out there. congrats on a classy, admirable job to the entire team.

13 of the Canadians are eligible to return next year, and they'll have some good motivation.

Would be nice if the USA became a team regularly challenging for the gold...the competition is awesome.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
Congratulations Team USA for making 2004 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship history. This team consisted of many 1984's as the media has consistently repeated, but I've watched this group of U.S. players since they won the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge a few years ago. If I remember correctly, Patrick O'Sullivan and Patrick Eaves were big for the Under-17 USA team against Team Pacific. As well, they won the Under-18 tournament too. This group of American players have been playing together for many years and with the same Coach Mike Eaves, so definitely, their comeback was no surprise. As for the game winning goal, what can I say, sometimes you got to be lucky to win. I'm disappointed that Team Canada lost, but I'm glad we lost to Team USA with their group of 1984's than losing to the Russians. Might I say, this game was fabulously played, high tempo, hard hitting, highlight goals (expect for the game winner - could of been alittle more creative) and saves. Team Canada will get their Gold with their group of 1985's on U.S. soil hopefully next year in North Dakota, just like how the Men's Olympic Canadian team went into Salt Lake City, Utah to beat the Americans in 2002. Once again, congratulations Team USA on their first ever Gold Medal. Americans have 2004 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship Supremacy this year, so enjoy it while it last because Team Canada is hungry for a Gold.

Takkie

I Goc ya nose!
Jun 29, 2003
Florida
Visit site
As an American Panthers fan i couldnt be Happier, Team USA won the Game, and Stewart had an Awesome game with two Assists and an unassisted Goal. This gid is going to be something special. Now only if we could pry dawes from the Rags and pair him up with Stewart

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Well, I just watched the replay and I could tell that after the first period that Canada wasn't playing the type of game I thought they would have to, to win the game. They didn't dominate physically, they didn't get the puck deep, they didn't cycle.

When we were up at the end of the 2nd, it always seemed as though that we were fortunate and always back on our heels.

Congrats to the USA, without a doubt, the better team won. And I did think that they and Russia were going to be Gold and Silver with Canada Bronze. Canada fared better than I originally thought, and the USA did exactly what I thought they would do.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Congratulations to the USA team and their fans -- it was an exciting game, and the team that played outstanding hockey for 60 minutes won. Montoya was amazing! The score could have been very different if he had played an average game. Great players raise their games when it counts - Team USA did just that.

Congratulations also to Team Canada - a silver medal wasn't the goal, but it's a stepping stone for next year.

billabong55

Dec 8, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Well that was an emotional game, if I ever saw one. I had a feeling that 3-1 lead wouldn't be enough and unfortunately I was right. This was the first game Canada had to deal with the pressure of the opposing team catching up, and I guess the guys panicked.

And it's sad that a lot of people are trying to blame Fleury for the loss. I thought he had his best game of the tournament today. He made some key saves, and played well. He probably could have had the first goal, but the first O'Sullivan goal was a beauty shot, and the third goal the American player should never have been left all alone infront of the net. No need to explain the winning goal, except all I can say is, at any other point of the game or in any other game that clearing attempt probably would have worked. It wasn't Fleury's fault. It wasn't Coburn's fault. It was just a fluke.

I think next year Canada has a really good chance to win. I just hope that the coaching staff will sit the players down and show them the 3rd periods from the past 3 gold medal games and let the guys know they can not let up until the final second has ticked off the clock.

Congratulations to Team USA on the win, and especically Montoya on a great game.

Congratulations to Team Canada on you're 6th consecutive medal I believe!!

chicpea*

Canadian said:
Might I say, this game was fabulously played, high tempo, hard hitting, highlight goals (expect for the game winner - could of been alittle more creative)

heh, I know what you mean, but I think that last goal (arggh) has been on every channel, every show all day. I only needed to see it once.
On the Canucks pre-game show the lead off question was: "Tony, when will Canadians forgive Marc-Andre Fleury?".
To his credit, Gallager said, "He is already forgiven."

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
CONGRATS US A !

USA good as Gold in 4-3 victory
F64F06B8B6734F9C806A8726268C09D6

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Now that the game has long been over, I'll post some comments because I'm not nearly as angry or disapointed.

It was a great and very entertaining game. Lots of end to end action and great goaltending.

Marc Andre Fluery really wasn't that bad. The first wrap around goal was kind of weak, however the defense should be at fault for that one and not him. And well that end play was just bad luck and nothing more. Nothing can be done really. If Canada's defense would have played better, we wouldnt have had to worry about that being a factor.

But as Doc said, Pascal Leclaire is now a happy man. He can live again, especially since he's having an outstanding year in the AHL and really establishing himself as a top goaltending prospect again after last years somewhat brutal rookie AHL season.

Anyway just a few thoughts on a few American players after seing a few games played by them.

The 2004 eligible players all impressed me for the most part. Drew Stafford seems like a real keeper. Strong, fast, one of those prototypical USA power skaters. David Booth impressed me as well, good stickhandler, showed flashes in rather limited ice time. Jeff Likens was alright, seems to be a pretty talented offensive defenseman. And of course Al Montoya who was absolutely sensational the whole tournament.

TO be honest, I just really wasn't that impressed with Zach Parise in either the Finland or Canada games. And IMO I'm not sure what to think towards that because that because Canada and Finland were the two most physical teams in the tourney besides the US of course. Not sure whether you want to put anything into that at all.

Stephen Werner and Patrick Eaves were the forwards who impressed me the most. Both of them seem like great, complete hockey players. Hard workers, good speed, good offensive talent. Just all over the ice.

I was really disapointed in Matthew Carle's play. I had heard a lot of good things about him and he was pretty good in the Finland game. But he stunk up the joint in this game. He was pushed over and ran over by some of Canada's bigger forwards. And offensively, he really didn't do anything.

Ryan Suter is the real deal, wow what a stud this kid is. He's so mature defensively and at such a young age. He's got such a raw offensive game too, you can tell that at some point he's going to explode. Reminded me a lot of the first time I saw Joni Pitkanen at the WJC's.

And as for Canada, while losing on a goal like that is very disapointing, if you think about what this team accomplished, it's actually very good. Only two returning players, lots of uncertainty surrounding the defense and the offense and just the overall skill level. But this team has such a great chance next year when over half the skaters can return.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Brock said:
Marc Andre Fluery really wasn't that bad. The first wrap around goal was kind of weak, however the defense should be at fault for that one and not him. And well that end play was just bad luck and nothing more. Nothing can be done really. If Canada's defense would have played better, we wouldnt have had to worry about that being a factor.

TO be honest, I just really wasn't that impressed with Zach Parise in either the Finland or Canada games. And IMO I'm not sure what to think towards that because that because Canada and Finland were the two most physical teams in the tourney besides the US of course. Not sure whether you want to put anything into that at all.

It's been a couple of years that I've been saying that anyone who was stupid enough to pass on Fleury or Zach Parise will have them come back to haunt them over and over again. I still believe this to be true. However, what a set back for that young man Fleury!

I think that Marc Andre Fleury is clearly not the goalie that he was when he played in the WJC last year. The thing that I noticed first last year was how advanced his postioning was at his tender age of 18. I thought that there was nobody in even the NHL that had positioning like him except for St. Patrick. However, by the first game of this year's WJC, it was pretty plain, that he had lost his postioning...and this became so very, very painfully obvious by the time that Canada played the Czechs the first time. His technical game has suffered too since last year...that second goal where that shot sort of chipped over him showed pretty clearly that he wasn't square to the puck but that he was crouching way too low...with the paddle down.

These kind of technical flaws were not evident before he was thrown to the wolves on the worst team in the NHL with the worst defense in the league. I think that this kid had/perhaps still has the potential to become the greatest goal tender of all time... rivaling the likes of Pat Roy but I put the blame for this potential demise squarely on the shoulders of Mario Lepieux, Eddie Olcyck and the Pittsburg management. Shame on you!!! For a quick buck, you've done your darnest to ruin such a talent!

The thing is, you can still do the right thing and send him back to the Screaming Eagles. Let the boy find his game and win a championship and learn to perfect his game and become a champion. You have a tremendously talented player here. Don't ruin him PLEASE!!!!

As for Zach Parise, I think that his haunting has just started. Watch out all you scouts and GM's that passed on him. You measured his height and said that he was too small. YOu measured his weight and said that he was too light. What you forgot to do was to measure his heart! Boy, this guy is a dandy! Yes, he may not be as effective in physical games...YET!...but he's a winner through and through! I warned you not to bet against this young man and I bet that he's just started to prove me right!

As much as it pains me to watch Canada lose...and in this way, I'm kind of glad that they did because I could just see every other country and NHL teams going the way of the giant goliaths and completely ignoring the smaller, speedier players with big hearts if team Canada did win the gold. My opinion is that there is a place for big men in our game but there is perhaps a bigger role for smaller men!

As for Sid Crosby, I think that he will be a tremendous talent in the NHL but he's physically gonna have to get bigger and stronger before he's gonna dominate there. He's no Wayne Gretzky, but he certainly reminds me a lot of Pat Lafontaine/Pavel Bure combo. Best of luck to you young man!

Congratulations to US. As for Canada, I think that the goalie, the team and the coaching staff need to take the responsibility for their failure to win the gold. What I don't understand is why the coaching staff started playing Crosby and Tambellini's line so much later in the game when it mattered when it was the first two lines that got them the 3-1 lead? I think that the coaching staff made some strange/questionable decisions leading up to this game and in this game.

The blame should not fall on Fleury alone.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad