WJC Gold Medal Game: Game Day Thread - Canada vs. USA (3-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
WJC Gold Medal Game: Game Day Thread - Canada vs. USA

The big game is finally here. The two most impressive teams throughout the tournament go up against each other.

I predict Canada will win this one 4-3.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Predatore said:
The big game is finally here. The two most impressive teams throughout the tournament go up against each other.

I predict Canada will win this one 4-3.

Can't rule out a "miracle on ice" but don't think the US can keep up the pace,

Canada 5-1 and out shooting and chancing by a 2:1 ratio

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
5-1 Canada. Goals from Dawes, Phaneuf, Talbot, Stewart, and Richards. US goal from Parise.

I don't see the US winning this at all, or really even coming close. I think Canada is that much better than pretty much anyone else. I thought the Czech's and Russian's might be able to be formidable opponents, but both played below expectations.

The US team has done well so far, but it is tough to beat this Canadian team and it would really be an upset to me.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If the U.S. can somehow contain Canada's more physical forwards *we* have a chance. If not, I think it could get ugly. I think either the U.S. will win by a goal, or will get blown out, no middle ground. To that end, I have two predictions:

1) If the U.S. can nuetralize (to a certain extent) Canada's physicality, perform well on special teams, and Montoya is as good as he was against Finland, then I think it will be 3-2 U.S.

2) If the above doesn't happen and Canada runs amok in the U.S. zone, than I think the score will be 5-1 Canada.

* For the record, I think scenario two is the more likely to occur, but you never know.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrKnowNothing said:
5-1 Canada. Goals from Dawes, Phaneuf, Talbot, Stewart, and Richards. US goal from Parise.

I don't see the US winning this at all, or really even coming close. I think Canada is that much better than pretty much anyone else. I thought the Czech's and Russian's might be able to be formidable opponents, but both played below expectations.

The US team has done well so far, but it is tough to beat this Canadian team and it would really be an upset to me.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but personally, the only area I think Canada is "that much better" than the U.S. is when it comes to size. You can make a case for the "Fluery factor" as well, but IMO he's not going to be the differance maker either way. It's going to be whether the U.S. can handle the physicality of the Canadian team, especially the forwards if and when they gain the U.S. zone.

PEli*

The Canadian blueline be a huge factor in this game but I think Team USA's ability to contain the Canadian forwards will be the biggest. Like RR said, if the Americans can control the Canadian forwards, they've got a great chance at taking the game by a goal or two.

If the Canadians are allowed to run around, cycle and consistently get the puck deep, the US is in deep trouble. Stewart, Carter, Dawes and Crosby can change the pace of a game in a split second. With guys like Richards and Talbot doing their usual unsung thing, Canada has a great shot at taking this game over very quickly.

The Fleury vs. Montoya thing is overrated. This game will be decided by the ability of the US group dealing with the Canadian forwards and the Canadian blueline playing their physical game.

No predictions from me though. If I could predict these games, I wouldn't be jibber jabbering about matchups and stuff. I'd be in Vegas.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Reposted from the Pre-Game Discussion.

The way I look at these two teams is that they are pretty much evenly skilled on the top two lines. Lines 3 and 4 aren't even worth comparing, we all know that the Canadians 3-4 lines are significantly stronger than the Americans. That said, that won't be a factor, because we'll only see lines 3-4 for a few seconds during the game from teh US, and honestly, I don't think we'll see much of Team Canada's 4th line guys except in special teams situations.

Team USA is faster.

Team Canada is bigger and stronger.

I'm not certain that the slight advantage in speed is enough to compensate to the significant strength difference between the two teams. In what will be a North American style game, I believe that will play a larger role.

What this game is going to come down to is can the "big 3" American defenceman over come the bruising style of many of Canada's forwards. Unless I am really under-estimating Stuart-Suter-Wisnieski, I don't believe that they are going to be able to handle the constant barrage from especially the top line and Stewart/Paille.

I think that the first period will be close, and the first half of the second period, but I expect...not the floodgates per se, but definitely a dominance by Team Canada.

Team Canada's defence matches up better with the Team USA forwards, I feel. Guys like Belle and Meech are extremely fast, and especially Belle will be a huge factor in the game. Plus, I really think that people are going to be leery of Phaneuf after the Olesz hit.

In net, Montoya has played well, no doubt....but I stand by my earlier prediction that in the end, MA Fleury will backstop Canada to gold. The day off is going to do Fleury wonders I think, and I also think that he's more likely to show up huge in a big game than Montayo because of his experience. Besides, there is absolutely no doubting who is the better goaltender.

It will be a good game for sure. My prediction is Team Canada over Team USA 4-1.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't think the "size" factor will be a big deal....USA will have learned from the game against Finland and will be prepared.

USA 4
CAN 2

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
NJ_Devil_Boy said:
Parise with the hat-trick, but Canada still wins 4-3. ;)

I'm interested to see how the Parise/Carter matchup plays out. Possible Flyers/Devils battle in a few years?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but personally, the only area I think Canada is "that much better" than the U.S. is when it comes to size. You can make a case for the "Fluery factor" as well, but IMO he's not going to be the differance maker either way. It's going to be whether the U.S. can handle the physicality of the Canadian team, especially the forwards if and when they gain the U.S. zone.

I stated my opinon wrong. I don't think the USA will be able to overcome Canada's size and overall defensive play. So I agree with you, basically.

I should have said that Canada's style of play and size will dominate the US. For that, I'll be surprised if the US is in the game.

It's awfully hard to make predictions, especially for championship games.

Avery4Byng*

No work tomorrow so i get to watch the game!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh ya 4-1 Canucks!

Blink182

Im ready for this one...will be good to see, as long as Fleury stays in his net Canada will do fine.

Canada 7-3

chicpea*

Mobey said:
I don't think the "size" factor will be a big deal....USA will have learned from the game against Finland and will be prepared.

If the USA has to learn about hitting from Finland, they are in bigger trouble than I thought...

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The Canadians need to hit these guys, but they can't get themselves out of position. The States are speed demons right now and they'd capitalize on those miscues pretty quick. If Canada keeps it simple and does what they've been doing, they'll win. If they try to be fancy or underestimate these guys, they'll lose.

I'll predict we don't get cocky; 4-2 Canada.

~Canucklehead~

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
chicpea said:
If the USA has to learn about hitting from Finland, they are in bigger trouble than I thought...

Never said they had to learn about hitting from Finland....don't worry, it's more fun to win when the opponent is cocky.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'm surprised at the number of people who are predicting a one sided win for Canada. Hopefully you won't be eating humble pie tomorrow.

The game is on at 2am here. Well, at least it isn't on when I'm at work.

Prediction: 4-2 Canada

RaoulDuke

Aug 2, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
If the Canadians are allowed to cycle down low and generate chances all day, look out. I think Montoya might have to stand on his head for the U.S. to win this one.

That said, it will not be a blowout. 5-2 Canada (1 empty-net).

tml_hockey

Jan 3, 2004
Visit site
Americans are way too small to handle any team and played well with other european teams because most of them dont' hit. The only european team that hit and played the north american style of hockey gave the americans their biggest problems, that being the finns.

This game will be a route for several obvious reasons. Canada has way more skill and size than the americans. An entire country is backing the team up and they know what this game means to them as well as the entire country. Canada is the biggest team of the two and the most skilled of the two. Canada uses 4 lines while americans only use 2, this will be a problem late in the first period as we see the americans tire.

Coach Eaves hopefully will change game plan in the second period and play his 3rd line on a regular basis making this a much more entertaining game.

Canada 5 vs USA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad