WJC: Dec 31 GDT - Russia vs. Finland

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
The first goal wasn't worth a joyful celebration? It was a beautiful goal followed by a beautiful play.

I agree with Den, let the kids celebrate. This tournament means a lot for them.

The first goal was alright, even though it was on a PP, but it was a nice play. And the first goal. And it's not up to me to let them or not let them and it's not about that.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Haven't seen the game, but what are you finnish fans talking about? You got CRUSHED and you still blame a ref? It's not like you lost 2:1 or 3:2 kind of game. Amasing.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Haven't seen the game, but what are you finnish fans talking about? You got CRUSHED and you still blame a ref? It's not like you lost 2:1 or 3:2 kind of game. Amasing.

We got crushed, not because of the ref, but the ref still sucked. A few very questionable calls. And actually there's only ONE poster who thinks the result would have been closer if the ref hadn't made those questionable calls. Dont generalize.

Actually I think we should be relieved the final score was only 5:0. Had it not been Rask, the score would have been much uglier from our POV.

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Rask is overrated in Finland.

How has this anything to with my post? I said Rask was the best player on team Finland last night even though we lost 5-0, which is true.

And you might be right. Not that I have noticed or anything, but usually young finnish goaltenders are overrated among finnish hockey fans. Kari Lehtonen is a good example.

Joretus

Which 18'ish goalies in Finland have been their teams first goalies in last 10 years or so? Just for that overrating thing...

Can't remember many who have been and still be succesfull. Same time Finland is having many good veteran goalies as well so I think it's a bit hard to overrate Rask.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
How has this anything to with my post? I said Rask was the best player on team Finland last night even though we lost 5-0, which is true.

I don't think Rask was the best player on team Finland last night. Rask is a choker. He is a decent talent, but nothing special. I think he is a new Mika Noronen.

Joretus

And you might be right. Not that I have noticed or anything, but usually young finnish goaltenders are overrated among finnish hockey fans. Kari Lehtonen is a good example.

Yeah, so overrated, nothing he have done yet really. Total bust and won't be anything special.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
Which 18'ish goalies in Finland have been their teams first goalies in last 10 years or so? Just for that overrating thing...

Can't remember many who have been and still be succesfull. Same time Finland is having many good veteran goalies as well so I think it's a bit hard to overrate Rask.

Vesa Toskala, Mika Noronen, Ari Ahonen, Kari Lehtonen.

Joretus

I don't think Rask was the best player on team Finland last night. Rask is a choker. He is a decent talent, but nothing special. I think he is a new Mika Noronen.

Well tell us who were better yesterday?

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki

Overrated elsewhere as well. Rask did practically nothing in the game and still people give him credit? Like the Swiss game. Sure it was a shutout, but the Swiss weren't even close to scoring, even on breakaways they would've probably missed the net even if it was empty.

And don't believe the score would've been tighter if there weren't as many penalties as there were when 2 goals were scored on 5-on-4 PP and 2 goals on 5-on-3 PP and Russia created pretty much no chances on the even strength? I guess you could argue that they would've if they hadn't fallen down on every attempt to take the puck to the Finnish zone.

Yes, Finland was worse, but people are giving way too much credit for the Russians when in fact they didn't really have to perform any kind of miracles (and they didn't, not on even stregth). Whether that was thanks to the ref or Team Finland's weak game is up for debate (I think it was a mixture of bad refereeing 25-30% and weak game from Team Finland 70-75%)...

All Russia had to do was skate with the puck into a dead end, fall down (when oh when will the Finns understand that falling down is an important part of this game), score on the PP.

I can be wrong, and I probably am since I seem to be alone with my opinion. I was there (and there I wasn't alone with my opinion, not even close), but haven't seen any replays or anything so people who've seen it on TV probably saw it better.

Joretus

You are saying Noronen were decent talent?

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Yeah, so overrated, nothing he have done yet really. Total bust and won't be anything special.

Did I say he will be a bust or he won't be anythig special. But those comparisons to Miikka Kiprusoff I've seen on finnish message boards are ridiculous. And the comparisons weren't about Lehtonens potential.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
And what he actually did do? I didn't see any of our defs&forwards to do anything really to help our team. Bad SH, no attacking at all. Lindgren had couple of good passes, that's all.

Bad SH? While not totally denying that, I wonder if even the always so magnificent Team Canada would hold up very long speding that much time shorthanded and especially 2 men down...

Joretus

Did I say he will be a bust or he won't be anythig special. But those comparisons to Miikka Kiprusoff I've seen on finnish message boards are ridiculous. And the comparisons weren't about Lehtonens potential.

Well aren't every nation having ppl who are overrating their players&prospects. Most of fans have their favourites and most are from own nation, so...

Joretus

Bad SH? While not totally denying that, I wonder if even the always so magnificent Team Canada would hold up very long speding that much time shorthanded and especially 2 men down...

Well it was mostly about when we had 4, the box were wide open in the middle and Russia used it ruthlessly.

Joretus

We'll have to just wait and see. But the fact is Noronen wasn't anything close to Rask when he was the same age.

And still he was a lot more than decent prospect. Well if most of 1st/2nd rounders are decent prospect, then he was just decent prospect. Still he played well in juniors, seniors and even first season in AHL. Imho decent prospects don't have things like this:

All-Star Team (EJC 1996, EJC 1997)
Best Goalie (EJC 1997)
Best Finnish U-18 Player (1997)
Second All-Star Team (WJC 1998)
Rookie of the Year (AHL 1999-2000)
Most Shutouts in AHL Playoffs: 6 (Rochester 2000)

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
We'll have to just wait and see. But the fact is Noronen wasn't anything close to Rask when he was the same age.[/QUOTE]

Noronen won WJC gold in 1998.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Well aren't every nation having ppl who are overrating their players&prospects. Most of fans have their favourites and most are from own nation, so...

True. But it seems like finnish fans usually overrate young goaltenders far more that other young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad