WJC: Dec 31 GDT - Russia vs. Finland

Fawkes

Jan 16, 2006
"me ollaan hävitty tää peli"

Its unbeliavable how one team can get so many penalties. Russia has scored four goals on power play, two on 2 men PP. Finland has 12 minor penalties in this game. I wonder why we are losing this game... Russia looks quite impressive must admit. They can go all the way to the final.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
do they deserve to be in the box or is the ref making mistakes?

I don't know but it's remarkable how many penalties the Finns are taking in almost every game.
26 minutes against Belarus, 20 minutes against the Chzechs, 32 minutes against Switzerland.

Although I'm cheering for the Finns, it seems to belong to the finnish playing style. They got away with against the weaker teams like the Czechs and Switzerland, but not against teams like Russia. I said after the game against Switzerland already that the Finns have no chance against Russia, if they don't begin to play with more discipline.

Summarized I think it's not the referee who is to blame, but the finnish players. If it would be only one game, may be you can think it's the referee but not if the whole tournament the finnish players are taking so many penalties in every game.

I don't know why they are not able to stay out of the penalty box!

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
btw, I'm not watching the game but according to reports Rask is standing on his head. He made few "almost a goal" saves and Vasyunov also hit the crossbar in 2nd period.

Hensta

May 10, 2005
Kuusamo,Finland
THIS IS AWFUL!

no skill, no speed, no heart!

Ohh wait, YES something we had...PENALTIES!!

Russia have a great team!

This was a good wake up call.

Enlund>Komarov

And Laakso, you really like that penalty box...

total BS Lions!

Fawkes

Jan 16, 2006
btw, I'm not watching the game but according to reports Rask is standing on his head. He made few "almost a goal" saves and Vasyunov also hit the crossbar in 2nd period.
What I´ve seen so far (49 min), I wouldnt say he´s standing on his head but he has played well. Couple of those goals could have been saved in a perfect day but you cant blame him for the goals. He´s also made many goal-saving saves.

Many of the penalties come really easily but nevertheless the Finns should realize that they cant play like this. They cant just slash anyone whose skating by. There killing themselves with the penalties.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Man, i hope Sweden plays well today, don't want to meet Russia this early. :amazed:

Anyway, i have a very bad feeling about this, Finland will most certainly play better in the quarterfinal.

Joretus

I think Russia would have won even if Finland would have been playing well, BUT Finland should give better opponent to Russia. Ie. Varlamov had like 2-3 more than routine saves, that's all.

Rask saved 10-0 or so, still not best game for him either.

As I did say before tournamen only chance is Rask to save all otherwise every good team will beat Finland. That's the result if he can't save all.

And this is pretty weird that Komarov is playing so much PP&2nd line, while he is obviously 3-4 liner, while Enlund could give some offensive talent to 2nd line.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Many of the penalties come really easily but nevertheless the Finns should realize that they cant play like this. They cant just slash anyone whose skating by. There killing themselves with the penalties.

Whose to blame here, the players for taking the penalties or the coach for letting those players take those penalties?

Btw, the American ref isn't up to the standard of the tournament.

Joretus

Whose to blame here, the players for taking the penalties or the coach for letting those players take those penalties?

Btw, the American ref isn't up to the standard of the tournament.

Both&very bad ref as well. That Enlund's penalty was just so ridicolous.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
Man, i hope Sweden plays well today, don't want to meet Russia this early. :amazed:

Anyway, i have a very bad feeling about this, Finland will most certainly play better in the quarterfinal.

There is no way for Sweden to avoid Russia in the half final.... Canada has already won your group.

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
That Enlund's penalty was totally joke. He barely even touch the guy and he still got penalty for slashing. And suprise suprise, Russia made a goal.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005

I hope so, although Russia is always a very strong team in WJC, without so many penalties the result would look may be a little better than now. But it had been a very big surprise if Finland beat Russia, they are normally almost always too strong for Finland.

But I hope that the Finns finally understand that they have to stay out of the penalty box in the quarterfinal! I hope the coach is able to teach them MORE DISCIPLINE!

Fawkes

Jan 16, 2006
What I´ve seen so far (49 min), I wouldnt say he´s standing on his head but he has played well. Couple of those goals could have been saved in a perfect day but you cant blame him for the goals. He´s also made many goal-saving saves.
What I´ve seen so far (59 min), without Rask the game could have ended 10-0. In the last period Rask has saved 3-4 sure goals.

Talentless Practise*

So... there really is a hockey coach who's authority isn't enough for a bunch of 19-year-olds. This undisciplined mob deserves every beating the get.

HOJ

Dec 27, 2005
Yeah, Rask was Finland's best player by wide margin, although it looked like the game didn't interest him so much in the end. It can be very annoying for a goalie to play the whole game on shorthanded and get no help from skaters.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Cherepanov now has more points than Ovechkin did when he was 17 at the WJC! To be fair though, Ovechkin wasn't a top line player on the gold medal winning Russian team..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad