WJC: Canada's #1 goaltender

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Uhhh I'd say that Pogge is easily the better puckhandler. As for size, they are both about the same. In fact Pogge is listed as 1" taller. Price is heavier but that doesn't really translate into anything.

If you've whatched Price play, you'd know he plays the puck a lot and well. He clears the zone with ease and can even make the long bomb pass a la Marty Brodeur. I've seen Pogge play and while he's certainly decent at handling the puck, I don't think he's better, most definately not easily better.

As for size, I beleive those figures are from the summer... in habs camp he clocked in at 6'3 1/2 and the Tri-City site has him at 6'4 (take it for what its worth).

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Mackattack said:
If you've whatched Price play, you'd know he plays the puck a lot and well. He clears the zone with ease and can even make the long bomb pass a la Marty Brodeur. I've seen Pogge play and while he's certainly decent at handling the puck, I don't think he's better, most definately not easily better.

As for size, I beleive those figures are from the summer... in habs camp he clocked in at 6'3 1/2 and the Tri-City site has him at 6'4 (take it for what its worth).

According to Bob McKenzie, Pogge is by far the best puck handling of the four goalies.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I haven't seen as much of Price as Pogge admittedly. But Pogge's puckhandling was quite evident in the first game. Price didn't demonstrate nearly as much last night.

But you guys may be right, Price may be a fine puckhandling goalie. I have seen a lot of Pogge however and I know he has tremendous ability there. The best I've seen in junior in my time of watching the WHL.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
richardn said:
According to Bob McKenzie, Pogge is by far the best puck handling of the four goalies.

I disagree with that, they're pretty even with that regard. But personally, I'd think that you cant go wrong with either Pogge or Price.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Team Canada rolls over UBC in tuneup

Calgary Hitmen goalie Justin Pogge faced only four shots, but stopped them all for Canada in his half of the exhibition game. He has put himself in contention for starting goalie with his poise and steady play during selection camp.

But which goalie will join him on the Canadian team was a toss-up following the exhibition game.

Shawinigan's Julien Ellis wasn't challenged a lot and stopped seven of eight shots in the first half for Canada after a shaky outing in an intrasquad game the previous night.

Devan Dubnyk of the Kamloops Blazers had an up-and-down night after a tough outing in his intrasquad game. He made some excellent saves, but also allowed five goals on 31 shots in net for the Thunderbirds.

Carey Price of the Tri-City Americans relieved Dubnyk and gave up goals on the first, second and fourth shots he faced and stopped 17 of 20 shots overall.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?ID=147130&hubName=world_jrs

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'll post here what I posted in the other thread...

I'm kind of baffled as to why Pogge wasn't in nets for UBC in this one. Indications seem to be he is the #1 guy for Canada, so why not let him get peppered and see how well he fares? Instead he faces 4 shots by weak UBC shooters. Let him get some rubber and evaluate him properly. This isn't a Jeff Glass situation, Canada is going to give up a fair number of shots this time around.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Steadfast said:
I'll post here what I posted in the other thread...

I'm kind of baffled as to why Pogge wasn't in nets for UBC in this one. Indications seem to be he is the #1 guy for Canada, so why not let him get peppered and see how well he fares? Instead he faces 4 shots by weak UBC shooters. Let him get some rubber and evaluate him properly. This isn't a Jeff Glass situation, Canada is going to give up a fair number of shots this time around.

I think Sutter probably all ready has Pogge pegged as the #1 and wanted one of the other 3 goalies to step up by having a solid performance facing a lot of shots. Pogge has performed good facing different ranges of shots through out his career, he has been solid in the playoffs and the best goalie in Canada this season and is the best stick handler of the 4, he had the best scrimages and game stats, what else does he need to prove.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Mr. Hab said:
I just hope Carey Price is there (#1 or #2 goalie). He deserves it. Canada deserves it.
Hockey critics, scouts and junior coaches have said that there were only 2 junior players who could singlehandedly steal games on a regular basis for his team and those two are:
Sidney Crosby and Carey Price. (valid source: TSN and the Hockey Yearbook which takes its opinions from coaches and professional hockey scouts).

Even though Carey had an awful start to the season with his junior team, he has picked it up at an amazing pace...in the last 15 games for his (very) below average junior team. This makes for perfect timing 'cause it's WJC time.
His save percentage in the last 15 games has been at around 94%. :handclap:
He is already mature beyong his years...
He's the kind of goalie who can steal games for you, and you definitely want that type of goalie to play for your country.
He's also the kind of goalie who won't be rattled IF he lets in 2 quick goals...

Go Canada Go!!

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...2&call_pageid=1044442959412&col=1044442957278
Maple Leaf goaltending prospect Justin Pogge, meanwhile, all but cemented his place on the team —and probably the No.1 job — with four saves, his second shutout effort, last night. Of those vying for the backup spot, Devan Dubnyk officially played his way off the team by giving up five goals on 30 shots, while Julien Ellis stopped seven of eight and Carey Price 18 of 21.

"One of the goalies (Pogge) has been the best of the four here and he has had an outstanding camp," Sutter said. "It's almost a matter of deciding among the other three who the other goalie is going to be. The way (Pogge) has played here and what he has done to date, you'd have to assume there's a good possibility he'll be one of the two. The other three have all let in some weak goals."

You can be sure that they also kept tabs on how the goalies were stopping pucks in practice. I think they were really looking at who was going to be the second goalie last night. My guess is that Price will get the nod. Price has another year of eligibility so this isn't a terrible result for him at all. Under the pressure of winning a job, he simply hasn't played as well as Pogge so far. There's still the exhibition games to come to finalize #1.

Pogge is leading in every statistical category for goalies in the WHL. He's 4-0, 1.00 GAA, .932 save% against Sutter's team. So Sutter is well acquainted with his ability. Pogge's earned his shot over a significant period of time.

Pogge's numbers this season do benefit from playing behind a good defensive team but he showed last spring he can also stand on his head and win a few games for a team that gave up more shots. He hasn't seen as many shots as others this season. But I think that has also helped him establish that he's a goalie who can keep his focus and continue to play at a high standard even when he isn't as busy - which is a quality the goalie for this team will need.

Last edited:

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Glad to see Pogge make the team, I thought from the beginning he deserved to be there, and now he will get to showcase his ability at the national level, let's hope he keeps up the play. Is anyone else surprised that they took Dubnyk as the backup as opposed to Price. I think most people thought it would be Price in the backup position, or at least Ellis, most seemed to think Dubnyk was completely out of contention... Anyone know why Dubnyk made it?

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Rand said:
He's a Habs fan, and Price (a Habs prospect) is quite possibly the biggest competitor for the starting spot at the WJHC.
Add in the fact that Pogge is a Leafs prospect and most (albeit not all) Habs fans dislike the Leafs and it's not hard to understand why he'd hope Pogge chokes.

If Pogge chokes, Price may well get the starters job. That's obviously preferable from his POV.
It probably doesn't hurt that Pogge's choking may be a sign that he's not developing as well as it would appear, and that can only bode ill for the Leafs... and by turn work out nicely for the Habs in the future.

I knew why he said it. I just wanted to hear his explanation for what he said. It's good to see that he cares more about Habs prospects than Team Canada.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Scugs said:
I knew why he said it. I just wanted to hear his explanation for what he said. It's good to see that he cares more about Habs prospects than Team Canada.

Are you kidding me? I've been on your board, and you got people wishing for x-mas that Price would get cut in favor of Pogge :biglaugh:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
PepNCheese said:
You knew we'd see a post like this sooner or later after Price got cut and Pogge stayed. :shakehead

Even some unbiased Oiler fans were saying that Dubnyk (Oiler prospect) shouldn't make the team...

It should have been Pogge and Price.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Jyroe Habs Fan said:
The PRICE is Right Beaatch!!!!!!!!!!!

Carey Price

Pogge won't even be #2, the Hitmen Defence is carrying the load in Calgary.
No Pogge wont be #2 because he will be #1. Not bad for a 3rd rounder....Price just simply got outplayed by Pogge..

Newfie John

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2005
Leaf scouting sucks huh?

They get a guy in the third round who in the opinion of the Hockey Canada brass is better then two first round draft picks, one of them a top 5 pick.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Newfie John said:
Leaf scouting sucks huh?

They get a guy in the third round who in the opinion of the Hockey Canada brass is better then two first round draft picks, one of them a top 5 pick.

You seem to be missing a concept here.

Canada is trying to win a two week tournament hosted in a weeks time. They aren't trying to build a franchise.

Players in the NHL Entry Draft are selected on long-term potential, not how good they happen to be at the time of the draft.

Because Pogge is a better goalie at the CHL level than the other three currently are doesn't guarantee he will be better at any other level of hockey, nevermind even the rest of the current CHL season.

The selection of Pogge has nothing to do with the NHL Entry Draft.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Aaron Vickers said:
Because Pogge is a better goalie at the CHL level than the other three currently are doesn't guarantee he will be better at any other level of hockey, nevermind even the rest of the current CHL season.

The fact that Pogge is a better goalie than others drafted ahead of him at this point is good in itself.

Especially since Pogge was drafted based on his toolsy potential, rather than his actual performance to that point.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
Selecting goalies is a crapshoot anyway, particularly young ones. I like the fact that the Leafs have Rask/Pogge, and I'd be ecstatic if either of the two became an excellent goalie.

Newfie John

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2005
Aaron Vickers said:
You seem to be missing a concept here.

Canada is trying to win a two week tournament hosted in a weeks time. They aren't trying to build a franchise.

Players in the NHL Entry Draft are selected on long-term potential, not how good they happen to be at the time of the draft.

Well thats obvious. I'm just trying to get under the skin of the leaf-haters. :sarcasm:

That said, I do think that Pogge has a better career ahead of him then Devan Dubnyk. Lately, Pogge has been improving dramatically. Most people say his improved numbers are just because of the team he's playing with. While the Hitmen do have a good defence, if they have a bad night Pogge is there to shut the door. If they have a good night and allow 20 shots, he still shuts the door. Common denominator? He's shutting the door. I truely believe he has developed almost as dramatically as his numbers show. I mean he's been doing it since he was 15. This kid wasn't even drafted in the Midget draft. He turns himself into an average #1 goaltender in the CHL. He wasn't even on Team Canada's summer list. He improves to an elite goaltender of the CHL.

Like someone else pointed out, the leafs didn't draft him for what he could do at the time. They drafted him for his potential. I'm sure they made note of his quick improvement going from not being drafted to a solid #1. It was the third round(albeit their first pick) so they decided to take a risk on the kid. By no means was Pogge a "safe pick". I believe they really tried to nab a future starter for their team. So far his erratic improvement has continued. If it continues the risk that Barry Trapp took at the draft table could very well pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad