WJC: Canada's #1 goaltender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossroads*

Pogge has been playing great and should be considered for the #1 or #2 role on the WJC team.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Eb0la11 said:
Price is brutal, Im going to go out on a limb and Say Justin Pogge of the Calgary Hitmen.

ctober
9GP - 2-6-0 - 3.89GAA - 0.878Sv% - 0 SO

November
11GP - 5-2-2 - 1.88GAA - 0.941Sv% - 2 SO

Thanks to Joey for the stats...Price isn't brutal...he's on fire!

And I don't know Pogge...who is he?

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Russian_fanatic said:
I think Julien Ellis Plante will get major consideration.

I guess best goalie in the Q for 2 straight years gets you no love

I think Canuck fans are still the only ones who know about this guy

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I think it's very wide open. It will be interesting to see who they bring to camp. There are probably about five or six guys that could be invited. I think it will come down to Ellis, Dubnyk, Price or Pogge. It's a lot like last year where there isn't one guy that is a lock to be the #1 goalie. When the tournament starts I wouldn't be surprized if they don't have a "#1 goalie", instead they will give both goalies equal playing time.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Price has grown up with the Canadian National Junior Development program, starring with the Under 17 and 18 teams... this international experience counts for a lot... it's his job to loose.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Price and Dubnyk will fight it out - both are playing very well after slow starts and both have the international experience - who ever is playing best at the time takes the big games.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
One guy that is being scouted for the WJC team is Medicine Hat Tiger goalie Matt Keetley. In 24 games this season he has only lost 4...and they were all shoot out losses to boot. His GAA is awesome: 1.83. And his team is first in the WHL. I am not saying he will make the WJC team this year but he is getting scouted for it....

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I have a strong feeling that Pogge is gonna get the spot. I don't really agree, but that's who I think will get it.

A bit off topic but Jeff Glass still gets absolutley no props from anyone...

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
SenSk9tSen said:
A bit off topic but Jeff Glass still gets absolutley no props from anyone...

Why should he get some talk in this particular thread anyway? He can't play in the U-20 tournament anymore. With that being said, I think you are right. The Senators have a very solid young goalthender on their hands. Definetely some starting goalie potential in Glass.

On to the main subject, I really hope Carey Price's stellar month of November will help him climb back the rankings on Team Canada scouts list. I believe he has the mentality of a goalthender that could bring Canada a long way. He has shown the ability to step up in important games in the past too (i.e. the semi-final game vs. Czech Republic at the U-18). Ellis and Dubnyk should also get some serious consideration. I'd say Ellis and Price could be Canada's goalies this year.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Great to see Pogge get some recognition but i dont think he will get it he's playing very well but he's also on a very good team and this years team canada is gonna need a guy who can steal a game or two unlike last year where they just needed someone who could be consistent.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Ellis should most definitely get the job, but since Sutter is making the team he will likely take 2 WHL goalies, my guess is Poggemon will start and Price will back him up

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
golleafsgo_17 said:
Ellis should most definitely get the job, but since Sutter is making the team he will likely take 2 WHL goalies, my guess is Poggemon will start and Price will back him up

my guess is carey price Devan Dubnyk will start and will back him up

and Poggemon will watch the game on tv ;)

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Kyle Chipchura said:
Why should he get some talk in this particular thread anyway? He can't play in the U-20 tournament anymore. With that being said, I think you are right. The Senators have a very solid young goalthender on their hands. Definetely some starting goalie potential in Glass.

On to the main subject, I really hope Carey Price's stellar month of November will help him climb back the rankings on Team Canada scouts list. I believe he has the mentality of a goalthender that could bring Canada a long way. He has shown the ability to step up in important games in the past too (i.e. the semi-final game vs. Czech Republic at the U-18). Ellis and Dubnyk should also get some serious consideration. I'd say Ellis and Price could be Canada's goalies this year.

Hence, off topic. ;)

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Peter said:
One guy that is being scouted for the WJC team is Medicine Hat Tiger goalie Matt Keetley. In 24 games this season he has only lost 4...and they were all shoot out losses to boot. His GAA is awesome: 1.83. And his team is first in the WHL. I am not saying he will make the WJC team this year but he is getting scouted for it....

Not to be picky but just for a sense of correctness Keetley has lost 4 games in regulation this year and 4 games in a shootout. Not 4 losses all in shootouts. Hence he is:
16-4-4 with a GAA of 1.83 and a SV% of .924 very impressive

Since im throwing some stats around Pogge is:
18-5-0 with a GAA of 1.59 and a SV% if .925 also very impressive

Easily the best two from the WHL statistically but as we know theres more to who gets the number 1 spot than stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce