Not open for further replies.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
It's actually 6 more cuts. 2 at each position will give them a roster of:

2 Goalies
7 Defencemen
13 Forwards

From highlghts I've seen it sounds like the choice will be made tonight whether Price or Irving is the number one. It looks like Price has a slight edge right now. Bernier didn't look impression in yesterday's Red and White from what I saw.

As for Marchand and Bass being the last cuts on forward, I would hate to see both of them go. I am not saying this cause I’m an expert on the choices but what I know of each.

Marchand was phenomenal last year in the Memorial Cup for Moncton, and is great skater and seems to create a lot of energy when he’s on the ice.

Also, I have thought Bass could be the 13th forward due to the minor injury to Toews’ shoulder. He would be a good third or fourth line centre option, and possibly for the PK. Should Toews further aggravate his shoulder it is nice to have a responsible grinder to fill the void, as well as a guy with some Team Canada experience at the Under-18 level.

Hockey Canada has had some kind of a heart on for Cody Bass for many years now. I wouldn't be suprised if he makes it however I would consider it a poor selection over a guy like Maxwell or Burki and especially a guy like Ryan White who imo should have been at the camp.

Randall Graves*

I'm just curious how have Mikkelson, Neal and Russell looked to those that have seen them in camp?

Tont

May 4, 2006
I'm just curious how have Mikkelson, Neal and Russell looked to those that have seen them in camp?

I was at the red-white game last night, and was impressed by both Mikkelson and Neal. Mikkelson had some nice rushes and scored on the PP on a high, hard wrister from the point. I think the seventh dman spot goes to Mikkelson or Alzner, depending on what HC is looking for, as Alzner also played well yesterday.

albathegreat*

With Bass having 2 assists tonight against the CIS all-stars does that give him a spot on the team?

It will be interesting to see who the 2 forwards that get cut are

phil macrackin

Sep 28, 2005
Just a gut feeling but I think Gagner will be cut and it will be a very, very difficult call for the coaching staff. When push comes to shove, Hockey Canada always goes with an 18- or 19-year-old at bubble time.
Also, Bass is there because he's probably the best shut-down guy in the CHL and a great leader. Those are valuable players, even if they're not flashy. He'll make the team and I wouldn't be surprised to see him wear a letter.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
Just a gut feeling but I think Gagner will be cut and it will be a very, very difficult call for the coaching staff. When push comes to shove, Hockey Canada always goes with an 18- or 19-year-old at bubble time.
Also, Bass is there because he's probably the best shut-down guy in the CHL and a great leader. Those are valuable players, even if they're not flashy. He'll make the team and I wouldn't be surprised to see him wear a letter.

Personally I see him as being very overrated especially his defensive ability, to me he will have trouble holding down a National Hockey League roster spot even though the only realistic spot he'll have a shot at is as a 4th line center. I dont see him being effective at all in a shut down role at the WJC, his abilities are far from world class to me.

No way he gets a letter with Staal, Parent, Pyatt, O'Marra, Downie, Toews, Bourdon, Russel and others returning as well as a lot of other players there who have similar leadership abilities. In the OHL games I've seen him in he's far from dominated anyone defensively and I feel there are many players who if they concentrated primarly on defense like Bass does would be much more effective than he is in that role.

I don't mean to cut the kid up but thats my personal evaluation of him however he may prove me wrong, it has happened before.

Last edited:

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
Why wouldn't you cheer for Team Canada? I could care less who they name and I would still cheer for them. I would never cheer for another country but Canada.

i don't take the WJC's as hardcore as some. Canada has dominated in the tournament in recent years and this year i'd like to see some stiffer competition. something about a 7-1 final doesn't quite excite me. i won't cheer against canada and hope for them to lose, however i just won't cheer for them. no biggie.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
With Latendresse's played last year at the WJC's he was lucky he made it. He was Canada's worst forward at the tournament.

Look at Wolski too. He was having an outstading year with the OHL and he didn't even get invited to camp last year.

Furthermore, there was only two French Canadians cut. From all acounts Esposito didn't have a great camp so that's why he was cut. Perrault played good but obviously not good enough.

Here is the great chance that was given Perreault according to himself at the Calgary Airport Thursday noon:

"I am disappointed but I was expecting it. In the mind of TCJ executives the team was already made at one or two players close. It explains why they made me play right wing although I am a left hander usually playing center. At least I will have another chance to make the team next year" said Perreault while waiting for his plane Thursday noon at the Calgary Airport.

He should have stayed home because he was placed in a situation where he was doomed to fail...the team had already set their first three centermen and their first two lines, sending Perreault in a checking capacity as a 3rd or 4th right winger...
Big deal!

What a waste of everybody's time!

vcx*

That last name Cliche is going to be the punch line for his career isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad