WJC Canada first cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Is perrault too small? I thought he was having a decent camp, from the sounds of it. I thought he might at least make the team as a utility player, since he leads the Q in points, and plays all situations. Oh well

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is perrault too small? I thought he was having a decent camp, from the sounds of it. I thought he might at least make the team as a utility player, since he leads the Q in points, and plays all situations. Oh well
He didn't play all that well last night. He looked a little tired and lackadaisical in his own zone. He'll be back next year, along with the other cuts.

I'm a little suprised by Esposito but to a larger extent by Maxwell being among the first cuts.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Perreault and Esposito are two natural centermen with great speed and skills.
Essentially Hartsburg decided to be conservative and keep intact his two offensive lines from last year.
The proof of that is in the fact that the first three centermen were already decided and he made Perreault and Esposito practice at wing....
Their fate was already decided.
As usual the Q lags behind in their core decisions and the Q players have to conciliate with the needs preestablished before their coming.
Another evidence of that was Latendresse last year....he was not good enough for them on the top 3 lines but is good enough to replace Higgins injured on the first Habs line with Ryder and Koivu, scoring 12 points in 18 games on that line so far....
Good riddance!

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Some of the names are definitely surprising, however, with so many returning players perhaps it isn't.

I wonder how this will affect Esposito's stock at the draft, which has been slipping for several months now. Last year at this point, he was probably the consensus number 1. Now, he can't make the World Junior team (granted, he is 17). I'm interested to hear what others who know more about the matter have to say.

88Nords19

Apr 7, 2003
Alma
Visit site
Esposito

I love Esposito's ridiculous speed and good skill, but I'm guessing the reasons he didn't make the club were because of all the returnees and because everytime I've seen him play he doesn't seem to have much of a clue defensively. His defensive zone reads have always been quite iffy IMO. Having said that I don't think Patrick Roy particularly cares if he back-checks, wins faceoffs etc... Even when Esposito's on the ice short-handed it's as an offensive threat.

For now, team Canada have enough offensive threats (many with all-around games) to be able to pass on Esposito. Too bad, his speed on the big ice would've been a force.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Some of the names are definitely surprising, however, with so many returning players perhaps it isn't.

I wonder how this will affect Esposito's stock at the draft, which has been slipping for several months now. Last year at this point, he was probably the consensus number 1. Now, he can't make the World Junior team (granted, he is 17). I'm interested to hear what others who know more about the matter have to say.

All I can say is that Perreault has been the best player in the Q so far this season, including 19 YOs and 20 YOs while Esposito has not been that consistent.

TCJ had their bed made with the top 2 lines and first 3 centermen before the start of camp...they will live or die with their choices....

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
I love Esposito's ridiculous speed and good skill, but I'm guessing the reasons he didn't make the club were because of all the returnees and because everytime I've seen him play he doesn't seem to have much of a clue defensively. His defensive zone reads have always been quite iffy IMO. Having said that I don't think Patrick Roy particularly cares if he back-checks, wins faceoffs etc... Even when Esposito's on the ice short-handed it's as an offensive threat.

For now, team Canada have enough offensive threats (many with all-around games) to be able to pass on Esposito. Too bad, his speed on the big ice would've been a force.

They might be good enough to pass on Esposito's speed and skill, but Perreault was a defensive force in all the games I saw him play and is effective in all 3 zones and just as speedy as Esposito....this is the case of a bad timing for one of the best players available....

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Tought Cody Bass would be in there somewhere... about Angelo and Setoguchi I'm a bit disapointed... but I guess they needed role player more than raw talent:dunno:

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Pretty much just bad luck and a shore of talent up front that led to seom unfortunate decisions. Had it been a dry year (when there aren't that many returnees), you can bet your arse most of these players would stick around longer.

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
All I can say is that Perreault has been the best player in the Q so far this season, including 19 YOs and 20 YOs while Esposito has not been that consistent.

TCJ had their bed made with the top 2 lines and first 3 centermen before the start of camp...they will live or die with their choices....

i wouldn't worry about it to much. They have people they like and dislike for a variety of reasons, inlcuding the style of play etc. Remember last year, Wolski wasn't even invited to the December camp. He went on to have a sick year in the OHL and is doing just fine as a rookie in the NHL. Many of 19 year olds from last years team are not having the same impact as WOlski this year.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Canada wants consistent players who can play to some extent defence. Espo did nothing at all, Perreault seemed decent, you could hear his name being talked about by the commentators. He'll be back next year and make it.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

I watched Espisito last night at the red white game, but he was invisible, he got out-muscled a lot and couldn't get much done. I figured he'd get cut, I was surprised to see Doughty get cut though, I thought he was quite impressive.

GSK*

Did Ben Maxwell is very good ?

Damn I was hoping for him to make the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->