Prospect Info: WJC 2022: The Remix Edition

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Seeking constructive feedback.

I've never had any interest in any of these tournaments. Not dissing anybody who enjoys them, just asking what excites folks about them.

If it's as simple as, "I love to watch hockey" that's fine. But I REALLY struggle to put any meaning into events that ultimately amount to a very small sample size, with inconsistent levels of competition and motivation amongst the participants. So for those who can't wait to dive into every possible moment, what specific aspect(s) intrigue you?

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal

I've never had any interest in any of these tournaments. Not dissing anybody who enjoys them, just asking what excites folks about them.

If it's as simple as, "I love to watch hockey" that's fine. But I REALLY struggle to put any meaning into events that ultimately amount to a very small sample size, with inconsistent levels of competition and motivation amongst the participants. So for those who can't wait to dive into every possible moment, what specific aspect(s) intrigue you?
I find the compete level to be out of this world. It’s a bunch of kids/young adults trying to prove to the world that they are ready to make the next step and play professionally.

The unpredictability of some games too makes it very interesting and keeps you hooked. Whether it be monumental upsets or stand out performances from unsung heroes, there are always quite a few.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

-International hockey is a different beast. You put a flag on the sweater and it changes the complexion of the game. I've seen some heavilly contested matches at the WJC summer showcase, an exhibition format.

-These players are the best of the best at their given level. The competition is compelling. It's generally a Colorado vs. Tampa level as opposed to CO vs. Buffalo level. And you have (generally) 5-7 teams capable of winning the tournament.

-As mentioned, some these guys are out to up their draft profile. It may be a small sample size, but some guys really generate a lot of buzz by their performance. Trevor Zegras comes to mind.

As a bonus, you can look back and have that "I watched them before they were drafted" moment when player X makes the show.

Last edited:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

It’s country versus country and I enjoy cheering for my country in a sport I love with players that in large part will make up the future of the sport. That’s the best summary I can give.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
But I REALLY struggle to put any meaning into events that ultimately amount to a very small sample size, with inconsistent levels of competition and motivation amongst the participants.
I don't think motivation is inconsistent at all. These players care, maybe even a bit too much.

There's a lot of reasons I enjoy international tournaments, but for the WJC specifically one big reason is the ability to watch many of the world's best prospects play with and against each other. But then again, I watch stuff like Development Camp and Prospects tournaments and meaningless pre-season games, which all are definitely less exciting, have less motivated participants and are awful sample sizes to make any determinations. So I don't need a ton of reasons to watch hockey lol.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After his dreadful appearance at last years WJC tournament, I doubt he will be the starter.

Quite sure that doesn't mean a thing, because goalies (mind) and level can go up and down in a week.

They are different players 6 months after, and guy just won WHL Championship.

Imo, it's a coinflip between Garand/Cossa.

Last edited:
Reactions: bedtime20

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
After his dreadful appearance at last years WJC tournament, I doubt he will be the starter.
But he won his League Playoffs since that time. He's at least earned another chance to be the starter. Just a matter of whether the coach even cares.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Cossa is listed after Garand, and Sebrango is listed as an extra on Canada's roster today.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
What feels more weird thay guy is listed as extra. C'mon, he'll be at Top4 when the tournament finishes.
Probably just giving some folks who might not get much playing time, some pre-tournament game time.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I don't think motivation is inconsistent at all. These players care, maybe even a bit too much.
Agreed. Any player or team can have a bad tournament. You can't expect the same results every year when the entire roster flips every 2 years, not to mention coaching changes, often on a yearly basis.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?

being a fan of DRW i like to see:
1) dRw prospects playing
2) future 1st round draft picks

Reactions: Konnan511

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad