Virta

Goalies
Vehviläinen
Kähkönen
Heljanko

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Team Finland WJC U20 roster without Kapanen and Rantanen.

1st Line Laine Saarela Puljujärvi
Juolevi Saarijärvi

2nd Line Hintz Nättinen E Tuulola.
J Tuulola Sopanen

3rd Line Aho Kalapudas Palmu.
Niku Mikkola

4th Line Kiviranta Lammikko Tammela.
Moberg Niemeläinen
Extra forward Patrik Virta

Goalies
Vehviläinen
Kähkönen
Heljanko

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
I'm not saying that I've seen enough games (of anyone) to make an expert statement on anything, but Laine and Puljujärvi on the same line seems like a needless overlap. Yes, that line generates offense, but more thanks to the individuals than great chemistry. Laine holds on to the puck a lot and makes selfish, straightforward plays (deservedly so as he has the rare talent of actually getting the puck into the net), which doesn't leave much room for Puljujärvi to use his strengths other than his passing, which, while superb, is far from his only asset. To my logic, it would be more fitting to balance these snipers over two lines, providing both with a more playmaker-type linemate and thus creating two really dangerous scoring lines.

Why wouldn't you put Aho on the same line with Puljujärvi? They have played together a lot, the duo worked brilliantly at last year's U20 tournament (Jesse's 10 posts could just as easily have been 10 goals), and the types just match based on what I've seen. Almost everyone seems to sell Aho a bit short here. I really don't care if Kapanen is older, bigger and the higher-drafted player: Aho most definitely shouldn't be a third-liner.

As for Laine's linemates, Rantanen would be a good fit with his playmaking abilities. Also, this would provide the opportunity for Laine to be a RW once again, as Rantanen can (and according to some opinions, SHOULD) play center. Then again, Laine hasn't shown any difficulties producing offense from the LW position.

So, with these thoughts in mind, my suggestion for the top two offensive lines:
Aho-Saarela-Puljujärvi
Laine-Nättinen-Rantanen

(Should Rantanen move to center and allow Laine to assume the natural RW position, the second line could be Kapanen-Rantanen-Laine, but then we would probably have an even bigger overlap problem with Kapanen and Laine on the same line hogging pucks and trying to be the hero.)

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
As for Laine's linemates, Rantanen would be a good fit with his playmaking abilities. Also, this would provide the opportunity for Laine to be a RW once again, as Rantanen can (and according to some opinions, SHOULD) play center. Then again, Laine hasn't shown any difficulties producing offense from the LW position.

Aho-Saarela-Puljujärvi
Laine-Nättinen-Rantanen

(Should Rantanen move to center and allow Laine to assume the natural RW position, the second line could be Kapanen-Rantanen-Laine, but then we would probably have an even bigger overlap problem with Kapanen and Laine on the same line hogging pucks and trying to be the hero.)

Well you could also switch Laine and Rantanen and that would bee a better fit i think. And if Rantanen is in the NHL then just put together Palmu-Nättinen-Laine as they have played great together.

Ps. Think about the killer 3rd line of Lammikko-Hintz-Kapanen... Could be a top line also... Crazy good offense!

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm not saying that I've seen enough games (of anyone) to make an expert statement on anything, but Laine and Puljujärvi on the same line seems like a needless overlap. Yes, that line generates offense, but more thanks to the individuals than great chemistry. Laine holds on to the puck a lot and makes selfish, straightforward plays (deservedly so as he has the rare talent of actually getting the puck into the net), which doesn't leave much room for Puljujärvi to use his strengths other than his passing, which, while superb, is far from his only asset. To my logic, it would be more fitting to balance these snipers over two lines, providing both with a more playmaker-type linemate and thus creating two really dangerous scoring lines.

Why wouldn't you put Aho on the same line with Puljujärvi? They have played together a lot, the duo worked brilliantly at last year's U20 tournament (Jesse's 10 posts could just as easily have been 10 goals), and the types just match based on what I've seen. Almost everyone seems to sell Aho a bit short here. I really don't care if Kapanen is older, bigger and the higher-drafted player: Aho most definitely shouldn't be a third-liner.

Aho-Saarela-Puljujärvi
Laine-Nättinen-Rantanen

That why i put Laine Saarela and Puljujärvi same line based U18 WJC games.
There they were Finland's best scoring line in that tournament.

Of course if possible Aho should be same line with Puljujärvi.
Laine and Kapanen same line hogging puck sounds OK but how their chemistry

Kapanen could be sometimes too selfish and he tries to be hero.
Also Laine can be really selfish too, but he has killer instincts for goal scoring.

Laine could be really good RW sniper but there's not, any guarantees that Rantanen and Kapanen will be in the team when World Juniors starts.
And how Finland replace Rantanen and Kapanen if their NHL teams, won't let them participate in world juniors.

Of course there's chance to take some underage player, in the team example Eetu Tuulola.
Thank god these lineups and player selections aren't our job.

What comes performing in home world juniors, i don't want see that how Finland fall again in 7th place their home tournament.
Canada wonn U20 WJC gold medal their home ice in Toronto, why not Finland can't do the same in Helsinki.

Only achievement what really matters to Finland must be, U20 WJC gold medal in home ice.
Silver medal isn't option and, Bronze medal is not option at all.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
That why i put Laine Saarela and Puljujärvi same line based U18 WJC games.
There they were Finland's best scoring line in that tournament.

Of course if possible Aho should be same line with Puljujärvi.
Laine and Kapanen same line hogging puck sounds OK but how their chemistry

Kapanen could be sometimes too selfish and he tries to be hero.
Also Laine can be really selfish too, but he has killer instincts for goal scoring.

Laine could be really good RW sniper but there's not, any guarantees that Rantanen and Kapanen will be in the team when World Juniors starts.
And how Finland replace Rantanen and Kapanen if their NHL teams, won't let them participate in world juniors.

Of course there's chance to take some underage player, in the team example Eetu Tuulola.
Thank god these lineups and player selections aren't our job.

What comes performing in home world juniors, i don't want see that how Finland fall again in 7th place their home tournament.
Canada wonn U20 WJC gold medal their home ice in Toronto, why not Finland can't do the same in Helsinki.

Only achievement what really matters to Finland must be, U20 WJC gold medal in home ice.
Silver medal isn't option and, Bronze medal is not option at all.

Even if we lose both (Rantanen,Kapanen) there would still be good offense, since age groups 96-98 are pretty deep. Without those guys our offense might look something like:

Aho - Hintz/Saarela - Puljujärvi
Palmu - Nättinen - Laine
Lammikko - Hintz/Saarela - Tammela
Kiviranta - Kalapudas - Virta/Hopponen/Tuulola
Lämsä

So i also think Laine and Pulju should be in different lines, puts a serious scoring threat on both lines.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015

Aho-Saarela-Puljujärvi
Laine-Nättinen-Rantanen

I agree wholeheartedly. Hopefully they will try some different line combinations in the remaining games at Lake Placid.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Agreed of separating Puljujärvi and Laine. Based on the u18 tournament and Lake Placid it doesn't seem like the two are getting the best out of each other. Especially Puljujärvi is being hindered by Laine - while, vice versa Laine possibly getting advantage of Puljujärvi's speed and ability to create space. I'd really like to see how Laine fairs with players with different type of a game. Rantanen could be an excellent feeder for him. Puljujärvi and Laine hunger for goals so it could be beneficial to separate that thrive into different units. Just don't see this happening as long as the team is winning games. Lines rarely get broken up especially after a big win. Placid just started so they may try something different for the last games. Who knows.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
End of 3rd period against USA White some 10 mins left jalonen put out Aho - Rantanen - Laine line on and Puljujärvi was playing with Saarela and Nättinen so he did shuffle lineup a bit.

Not sure if link works but i put fingoals into compilation with slightly better quality.
https://vid.me/Dzhy

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
End of 3rd period against USA White some 10 mins left jalonen put out Aho - Rantanen - Laine line on and Puljujärvi was playing with Saarela and Nättinen so he did shuffle lineup a bit.

Not sure if link works but i put fingoals into compilation with slightly better quality.

Looks like Rantanen was the captain, any idea who had the A's?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015

Thanks for the info and the video, much better quality!

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I looked through all the highlights again and took down the goals and assists myself. Here are the results:

Aho 2+5=7
Laine 3+2=5
Saarijärvi 1+3=4
Nättinen 2+1=3
Puljujärvi 2+1=3
Rantanen 0+3=3
Niku 1+1=2
Siikonen 1+1=2
Tammela 1+1=2
Saarela 0+2=2
Sopanen 0+2=2
Kiviranta 1+0=1
Lammikko 1+0=1
Lämsä 1+0=1
Gymer 0+1=1
Haaranen 0+1=1
Keskitalo 0+1=1
Mikkola 0+1=1

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
I looked through all the highlights again and took down the goals and assists myself. Here are the results:

Aho 2+5=7
Laine 3+2=5
Saarijärvi 1+3=4
Nättinen 2+1=3
Puljujärvi 2+1=3
Rantanen 0+3=3
Niku 1+1=2
Siikonen 1+1=2
Tammela 1+1=2
Saarela 0+2=2
Sopanen 0+2=2
Kiviranta 1+0=1
Lammikko 1+0=1
Lämsä 1+0=1
Gymer 0+1=1
Haaranen 0+1=1
Keskitalo 0+1=1
Mikkola 0+1=1
I hope they actually fix these stats, because many people will only look at them. There's clear video evidence of, for example, Pulju not even being on the ice during Laine's most recent PPG, so there should be a way for the officials to change the stats afterwards.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Any updates on that how long Eetu Sopanen is out of games?.
I've thinking that if Sopanen can't participate in world juniors how to replace him.

Example taking some underage Dman on the team like Oliver Felixson or Urho Vaakanainen?.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
This is my current view on the WJC roster, assuming that everyone will be available. There will probably be changes as the hockey season progresses.

Aho - Nättinen - Puljujärvi
Laine - Hintz - Rantanen
Lammikko - Saarela - Kapanen
Repo - Lämsä - Tammela
Hopponen

Out of the lineup: Kalapudas, Virta, E. Tuulola, Kiviranta, Palmu, Siikonen, Gymer, etc.

Tuulola - Saarijärvi
Niku - Vainio
Juolevi - Sopanen
Keskitalo - Mikkola

Out of the lineup: Moberg, Niemeläinen, Välimäki, Haaranen, Leskinen, Mattila, Reunanen, Vaakanainen, Felixson, etc.

Vehviläinen
Kähkönen
(Heljanko)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
This is my current view on the WJC roster, assuming that everyone will be available. There will probably be changes as the hockey season progresses.

Aho - Nättinen - Puljujärvi
Laine - Hintz - Rantanen
Lammikko - Saarela - Kapanen
Repo - Lämsä - Tammela
Hopponen

Out of the lineup: Kalapudas, Virta, E. Tuulola, Kiviranta, Palmu, Siikonen, Gymer, etc.

Tuulola - Saarijärvi
Niku - Vainio
Juolevi - Sopanen
Keskitalo - Mikkola

Out of the lineup: Moberg, Niemeläinen, Välimäki, Haaranen, Leskinen, Mattila, Reunanen, Vaakanainen, Felixson, etc.

Vehviläinen
Kähkönen
(Heljanko)

Niemeläinen and Välimäki will be in the team.
But of course only, if Saginaw Spirit and Tri City Americans release them participate in world juniors.

Felixson in questionable he's born 1998, he might be in the team but i don't think so.
Other candidate is Miro Karjalainen, he's born 1996 so he is eligible to participate in world juniors.

Karjalainen is 197cm tall defenseman and he's solid stay at home dman.
Who isn't mister nice guy in own defensive zone.

Based those defensive issues what Finland had in lake placid tournament.
Finland needs very badly serious physical size in the defense, and Karjalainen brings that size on the team.

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Niemeläinen and Välimäki will be in the team.
But of course only, if Saginaw Spirit and Tri City Americans release them participate in world juniors.

Felixson in questionable he's born 1998, he might be in the team but i don't think so.
Other candidate is Miro Karjalainen, he's born 1996 so he is eligible to participate in world juniors.

Karjalainen is 197cm tall defenseman and he's solid stay at home dman.
Who isn't mister nice guy in own defensive zone.

Based those defensive issues what Finland had in lake placid tournament.
Finland needs very badly serious physical size in the defense, and Karjalainen brings that size on the team.

What makes you so sure that Niemeläinen and Välimäki will be on the team? Personally I don't see us going with a D-core filled with 98-born kids, especially when we have so many good 96s and 97s available. Not to mention that the 98s have very few righties...

Karjalainen is a good call, I didn't have him on my radar at all. He seems to be very similar to Sopanen, at least as far as stats are concerned. Both are massive, right-handed stay-at-home guys. I'd give Sopanen the edge now, as he played in Liiga last season.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What makes you so sure that Niemeläinen and Välimäki will be on the team? Personally I don't see us going with a D-core filled with 98-born kids, especially when we have so many good 96s and 97s available. Not to mention that the 98s have very few righties...

Karjalainen is a good call, I didn't have him on my radar at all. He seems to be very similar to Sopanen, at least as far as stats are concerned. Both are massive, right-handed stay-at-home guys. I'd give Sopanen the edge now, as he played in Liiga last season.

Miro Karjalainen is a bit unknown defenseman, he's not before participated Finland in national junior teams ( U16, U17 and U18).
If we believe his eliteprospect profile.

His NHL draft pick ( Dallas Stars 5th round 135th overall 2014 NHL entry draft), was positive surprise to me.
Because i'm not even knew this guy, before he signed 3 yrs pro contract with HIFK in summer 2014

Karjalainen is massive stay at home defenseman, but how his skating etc abilities.
I'm not seen enough of Miro's games to say can he even play in world juniors, but he's one candidate to play there.
Just like everyone else 1996-1997 born dmans.

CHL ( Canadian Hockey League) teams will release, all NHL draft eligible players, to junior world championships ( U20 and U18).

Last edited:

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
CHL ( Canadian Hockey League) teams will release, all NHL draft eligible players, to junior world championships ( U20 and U18).

Sorry for OT.

No they don't release players to U18 WJC. E: And draft eligibility has nothing to do with it, since all U18 players are draft eligible and there's no difference between drafted and undrafted players in whether or not they're allowed to participate in U20 WJC, since all and every CHL player (under 20) is released to play there, if chosen.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Miro Karjalainen is a bit unknown defenseman, he's not before participated Finland in national junior teams ( U16, U17 and U18).
If we believe his eliteprospect profile.

His NHL draft pick ( Dallas Stars 5th round 135th overall 2014 NHL entry draft), was positive surprise to me.
Because i'm not even knew this guy, before he signed 3 yrs pro contract with HIFK in summer 2014

Karjalainen is massive stay at home defenseman, but how his skating etc abilities.
I'm not seen enough of Miro's games to say can he even play in world juniors, but he's one candidate to play there.
Just like everyone else 1996-1997 born dmans.

CHL ( Canadian Hockey League) teams will release, all NHL draft eligible players, to junior world championships (U20).

Yes, I'm fully aware of this. Perhaps you misunderstood me.

Why do you believe that Niemeläinen and Välimäki will make the U20 roster? To me, it seems like a bad idea to ice a defense core filled with '98 born kids, when you could pick '96s and '97s. Especially when some of the '96s and '97s that are available are pretty good. It also has to be noted that most of the "big names" in the '98 age group are left-handed, meaning that we would have less right-handed defensive depth in the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad