WJC 2016 - Roster Talk

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Just a few thoughts on the roster above. Tavernier and Moberg will need to play extremely well next season to be in the U20 WJC. Neither had great seasons at the U20 level, I wasn't impressed by Moberg. He made some poor turnovers and overall played just decent hockey. Plus, I could see Niko Mikkola being on the defense, maybe also Juuso Välimäki. Nättinen could be the second line center instead of Saarela. Otherwise that roster looks pretty good and similar to what mine would be.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Just a few thoughts on the roster above. Tavernier and Moberg will need to play extremely well next season to be in the U20 WJC. Neither had great seasons at the U20 level, I wasn't impressed by Moberg. He made some poor turnovers and overall played just decent hockey. Plus, I could see Niko Mikkola being on the defense, maybe also Juuso Välimäki. Nättinen could be the second line center instead of Saarela. Otherwise that roster looks pretty good and similar to what mine would be.

Moberg didn't perform that well at the 5-nations tournament in February and after that Jalonen hasn't been too keen to select him again. Moberg didn't make the final 4-nations squad in April, he was cut after the preceding camp, and now he isn't part of the squad preparing for Lake Placid.

In my eyes one of the bigger problems in Moberg's game is that he still hasn't fully mastered the defensive game as a former forward. He's also way too soft and doesn't have enough strength to be truly successful in tougher battle situations in the d-zone. It's way too easy for a bigger forward to overpower him in front of the net or along the boards.

My lottery at the moment:

Aho - Hintz - Puljujärvi
Rantanen - Lammikko - Laine
Tammela - Nättinen - Kapanen
Siikonen - Saarela - Kiviranta
Kalapudas

Juolevi - Saarijärvi
Tuulola - Välimäki
Niemeläinen - Niku
Mikkola

Kähkönen
Vehviläinen
Väliharju

Välimäki and Niemeläinen might be the biggest question marks in this line-up right now. They show promise and actually know what to do in the d-zone unlike some other current Finnish D-prospects, but a good summer and some ice time with the men's team is a must if they want to make it. And as mentioned befofre, hopefully NHL doesn't steal Kapanen and Rantanen just yet.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Moberg definitely looks to be on the outside for now. He'll probably play mostly in Mestis next season, perhaps along with Karjalainen and/or Niemeläinen, so it's possible that a complete pairing with some chemistry could develop there. Heard some talk that Moberg is also working quite hard this off-season so that he could better play to his own strengths at the top-level. We'll see if it's enough, though at this point it looks like a long shot.

---

On the whole it seems really hard to predict how the team will/should look at this time. There are lots of defensive options with little to separate them and lots of the top forwards will have to play outside their favored position... One could fill in the names a hundred ways and it wouldn't look all that different in terms of quality.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

That my first roster was only a speculation.
Of course i know that Moberg and Tavernier must play really well if they want to play world juniors.
I don't know exactly where Tavernier plays next season.

His name is deleted IFK's U20 junior squad roster.
Seems obviously Tavernier is going to play USHL to Sioux City Musketeers team.
Sioux city musketeers drafted Tavernier this years USHL entry draft in 6th round.

And also i'll exchange that first roster 2-3 times before World Juniors.
My expectations to upcoming world juniors are gonna be huge.

Only achievement what i'll to expect for Finland in world juniors is WJC U20 gold medal in home ice.
Silver medal isn't option and bronze medal isn't option at all.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Moberg didn't perform that well at the 5-nations tournament in February and after that Jalonen hasn't been too keen to select him again. Moberg didn't make the final 4-nations squad in April, he was cut after the preceding camp, and now he isn't part of the squad preparing for Lake Placid.

In my eyes one of the bigger problems in Moberg's game is that he still hasn't fully mastered the defensive game as a former forward. He's also way too soft and doesn't have enough strength to be truly successful in tougher battle situations in the d-zone. It's way too easy for a bigger forward to overpower him in front of the net or along the boards.

My lottery at the moment:

Aho - Hintz - Puljujärvi
Rantanen - Lammikko - Laine
Tammela - Nättinen - Kapanen
Siikonen - Saarela - Kiviranta
Kalapudas

Juolevi - Saarijärvi
Tuulola - Välimäki
Niemeläinen - Niku
Mikkola

Kähkönen
Vehviläinen
Väliharju

Välimäki and Niemeläinen might be the biggest question marks in this line-up right now. They show promise and actually know what to do in the d-zone unlike some other current Finnish D-prospects, but a good summer and some ice time with the men's team is a must if they want to make it. And as mentioned befofre, hopefully NHL doesn't steal Kapanen and Rantanen just yet.

I think Niemeläinen will get a chance to play in IFK's liiga roster upcoming season.
But mostly he'll play in IFK's U20 junior squad.

Of course Niemeläinen is very promising prospect.
And he has chances to get picked to NHL next years draft probably middle or end of 1st round or earlier 2nd round.

I asked in Pittsburgh Penguins board what's Penguins plan to develop for Kasperi Kapanen in upcoming season.
That penguins fan who replied to me told Kapanen is coming to world juniors in Helsinki if he plays AHL.
If Kapanen plays in Pittsburgh's NHL team he won't play in world juniors.

So it'll be 50-50 does Kapanen play in world juniors.

Last edited:

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
I think Niemeläinen will get a chance to play in IFK's liiga roster upcoming season.
But mostly he'll play in IFK's U20 junior squad.

Of course Niemeläinen is very promising prospect.
And he has chances to get picked to NHL next years draft probably middle or end of 1st round or earlier 2nd round.

I asked in Pittsburgh Penguins board what's Penguins plan to develop for Kasperi Kapanen in upcoming season.
That penguins fan who replied to me told Kapanen is coming to world juniors in Helsinki if he plays AHL.
If Kapanen plays in Pittsburgh's NHL team he won't play in world juniors.

So it'll be 50-50 does Kapanen play in world juniors
Based on last WJC, i hope Kapanen stays far away

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Based on last WJC, i hope Kapanen stays far away

One should not base much on whatever happened last year. Though factoring in the U-18s as well Kapanen's track record in the NT is not the greatest, he is still a potential difference maker and top forward at the U-20 level. Not the type of player you leave out willingly.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Liiga's decision to not have international breaks outside the Karjala tournament might cause some issues for the U-20 team.

Not really. It's their home tournament so players will be released. And since Jalonen is coaching he has enough Sauna-buddies to make it work.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Liiga's decision to not have international breaks outside the Karjala tournament might cause some issues for the U-20 team.

The February U19 4-nations tournament might be the biggest problem here, but luckily that's after the World Juniors and thus not overly important.

The late August 4-nations tourney in Russia might be missing some of the top guys due to pre-season being in full swing, but that's nothing new.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The fact that Liiga doesn't break during NT events means just that and nothing more - there will be no break. Liiga clubs are still contractually obligated to release any player who received an invitation to play with any of the NTs. There's also a new rule in the contract for 2015-16 - a player who's been invited to the NT is not allowed to play with his club team as long as the event is running. Only reason the clubs can decline to release players is if they aren't able to play at all.

So it won't cause any issues whatsoever.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The February U19 4-nations tournament might be the biggest problem here, but luckily that's after the World Juniors and thus not overly important.

The late August 4-nations tourney in Russia might be missing some of the top guys due to pre-season being in full swing, but that's nothing new.

It's the pre-WJC tournament prepation that I'm more worried about.

The fact that Liiga doesn't break during NT events means just that and nothing more - there will be no break. Liiga clubs are still contractually obligated to release any player who received an invitation to play with any of the NTs. There's also a new rule in the contract for 2015-16 - a player who's been invited to the NT is not allowed to play with his club team as long as the event is running. Only reason the clubs can decline to release players is if they aren't able to play at all.

So it won't cause any issues whatsoever.

Oh trust me, if any one can create an issue about it, it's the Liiga clubs.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Oh trust me, if any one can create an issue about it, it's the Liiga clubs.
Have to admit, their pettiness is somewhat infamous.

Still, it's hard to see what they have to gain by sitting a player rather than having him play wherever. Other than Kale's wrath, that is. Also, if Jalonen feels pissy about it, he could just invite a replacement player from the same club. That'll mean they'll have two players missing during the event instead of just one.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
It's the pre-WJC tournament prepation that I'm more worried about.
Last year the last two Liiga games before Christmas were on 16th of December. This year the last two Liiga games will be played on 18th of December. Admittedly the schedule is now more packed before the break, but the timeline in itself isn't that much different. Even in a worst case scenario, the team will still have roughly a week to prepare for the tourney with a full line-up.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
http://leijonat.fi/maajoukkueet/ite...toi-tanskan-ykkosnyrkki-vastasi-tehoista.html

Seems like Laine-Saarela-Puljujärvi are playing together again.

I really liked the way they played in the U-18s, hopefully they can carry that momentum all the way to the WJCs. With that unit and Rantanen, Kapanen, Aho, Hintz, Nättinen, etc. in the mix, we could have a very deep and dangerous forward group on the final team. It would be great for the team to have Saarela contribute in a major offensive role rather than playing small minutes on the fourth line.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I really liked the way they played in the U-18s, hopefully they can carry that momentum all the way to the WJCs. With that unit and Rantanen, Kapanen, Aho, Hintz, Nättinen, etc. in the mix, we could have a very deep and dangerous forward group on the final team. It would be great for the team to have Saarela contribute in a major offensive role rather than playing small minutes on the fourth line.

How to replace Rantanen and Kapanen if their NHL teams, won't release them.
Kapanen said a while ago in urheiluruutu, his number one priority is playing in NHL.

If Finland wants to be gold medal contender, we'll need all our best players to the team.
7th place in our home world juniors isn't allowed and its not an option.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Well, in the somewhat unlikely event that both Kapanen and Rantanen make it to the NHL this season and are thus unavailable for the WJC, what can you do? The remaining guys just have to play even better. Finland would still have one of the better teams in the tournament, at least on paper.

Here's what I'd like to see if Rantanen and Kapanen are available, come WJC:

Hintz - Virta - Rantanen
Laine - Saarela - Puljujärvi
Aho - Nättinen - Kapanen
Lammikko - Kalapudas - Tammela
E. Tuulola

Juolevi - Saarijärvi
Tuulola - Niemeläinen
Niku - Välimäki
Vainio

Kähkönen
Vehviläinen

The second line depends on if Laine stops hogging the puck so much. If not, break Laine and Puljujarvi up. The defense is quite offensive and inexperienced in this line-up, but as I said, this is more or less what I’d like to see. However, I don’t think this will be what I will see. I believe either Sopanen or Mikkola will most likely make the team, if not both.

If Rantanen and Kapanen are unavailable:

Hintz - Virta - Tammela
Aho - Kalapudas - E. Tuulola
Lammikko - Nättinen - Kiviranta
Gymer

Last edited:

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Lammikko - Hintz - Rantanen C
Aho - Kalapudas - Kapanen
Tammela - Nättinen - Lämsä/Siikonen/Hopponen/Kiviranta

It seems Jalonen thinks that the Laine - Saarela - Puljujärvi line works and if so the rest of lines should go like this.

The 1st line is a very big two way line and with Rantanen there they have a lot of offensive potential too. The line that gets all the tough minutes.

Then the most talented line offensively. Puljujärvi and Laine have had healthy summers and Saarela played over 50 games last season. If they stay healthy, other teams have to look out.

It's very hard to put Kapanen in a line. Despite having the best tools in this team, it has always been kind of hard to find the right linemates for Kapanen. Maybe the two smart Kärpät forwards are able to get that massive potential of Kapanen.

And in the 4th line there is skilled sandpaper (Tammela) and a talented two way forward (Nättinen) who have played well together in the NT. There has always been a player who rises to U20 team out of nowhere and it's very hard to predict the 2nd winger in the 4th line. Could be a player out of the 4 players I listed.

Juolevi A - Saarijärvi
Tuulola A - Välimäki
Mikkola - Niku
Niemeläinen

It will be very interesting to follow our young d-men in the CHL as they all will have big roles there. Juolevi is our #1 guy and I hope that his summer has gone well despite his injuries. I have high hopes for him. He clicks well with Saarijärvi and they likely are our 1st pairing.

There is good mix of everything in our defence as our strong '98 agegroup is coming to stage. Compared to last year, I like our defence more (offense too).

Kähkönen
Vehviläinen

Goaltending is the only thing that gets weaker compared to last year (coaching of course and there is no way our special teams can get any worse) and hopefully Kähkönen can establish himself to be a solid goalie in the FEL. It's very hard to get on the same level as Saros and Husso but Kähkönen has a very good potential.

If Vehviläinen gets some consistency in his games, he has the possibility to show scouts that he should have been selected.

Our goalie situation is a lot more open this year and there is no clear #1 at the moment. Hopefully we can find that before December.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I think the Laine - Saarela - Puljujärvi line will stay intact. Lets see how they play out in the Lake Placid and if they develope chemistry we have one elite line for the WJC.

The history has shown you can't win this tournament without great / elite 1st line center. The only times Finland have won gold in these games is when we've had a center with a skill set of dominating the ice. Olli Jokinen was ahead of his peers 1998 and the main instrument of ending a long era. Teräväinen at 2014 did the unexpected and played one of the greatest tournaments by single player in WJC ever resulting to a 3rd gold medal for the country.

The team needs elite 1st line center and imo the only one we have that could play the game at that level is Rantanen. He hasn't played the position since starting his pro career but he has experience being in the middle in his junior years and has stated that he feels comfortable there. Don't see a reason why not give him a go (not to mention being stacked of right wingers). You could add Kapanen onto the wing and he might finally be able to get it together with another player with elite playmaking skills. Not too confident Kalapudas, Hintz or Nättinen are there yet to lead the first unit. It's unknown wether Rantanen will even be available for WJC but if he is, this is what I'd like to see personally.

Overall I think we have a really good roster and top end skilled players so anything is possible. Waiting WJC more than the new years tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad