WJC 2016 - Roster Talk

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
How can "average" defense let in less goals than any other team in the League? doesn't that sort of mean Chicago had the best defense?
I wasn't referring to last year, specifically.

Also, maintaining puck possession helps. Sometimes offense indeed is the best defense.

And with the material available to us, I certainly don't expect Jalonen just instructs the team to turtle up and wait for turnovers. Heck, he wouldn't exactly do that even with a lesser team.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
What is the #1 PP going to look like?
Can somebody remind me if Laine and Puljujärvi played on the same PP line in the U-18 tournie earlier this year?

laine nättinen pulju (or/rantanen)
juolevi saarijärvi

That looks scary :)

From what I can remember, Pulju and Laine played on the second line for the u18, so assuming nättinen will be the top center, this power play unit could work nicely!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What is the #1 PP going to look like?
Most likely going to feature slightly elder players like Rantanen and Hintz, in the scenario where we have the best possible lineup.

1st unit:

Half wall: Hintz
Front of net: Rantanen
Point: Laine
Blueline: Saarijärvi - Tuulola

2nd unit:

Half wall: Nättinen
Front of net: Aho or Repo
Point: Puljujärvi
Blueline: Kapanen - Juolevi

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Most likely going to feature slightly elder players like Rantanen and Hintz, in the scenario where we have the best possible lineup.

1st unit:

Half wall: Hintz
Front of net: Rantanen
Point: Laine
Blueline: Saarijärvi - Tuulola

2nd unit:

Half wall: Nättinen
Front of net: Aho or Repo
Point: Puljujärvi
Blueline: Kapanen - Juolevi

Thanks File.

Looks pretty good. What do you think about Kapanen? Have you been paying attention to him at all this season?

Only 2 points in 7 games. http://theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=5902

I have a neutral opinion about this guy, but I hope he can pick up his game ASAP!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Looks pretty good. What do you think about Kapanen? Have you been paying attention to him at all this season?

Only 2 points in 7 games. http://theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=5902

I have a neutral opinion about this guy, but I hope he can pick up his game ASAP!
From what I've gathered from the comments, there's far more to his game than his production. Individually he's been better than his points indicate, he's just been bounced around a lot in the Marlies' lineup. So they haven't really given him time yet to establish chemistry with anyone - or they're still looking for the right combination that can do so.

Reminds me a bit of Olli Jokinen in that sense (who, incidentally, is also KalPa grown). Skilled, definitely not useless, but high maintenance. Not at all like his father, who could be slotted anywhere and he found a way to hit it off.

Should be an asset to this team too, as long as Jalonen can work out where he's the most useful. And I hope he will.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
How good are Kähkönen/Vehviläinen compared to Saros/Husso??

Both are second year pros already(played in Mestis last season) and have good numbers in Liiga this season. Vehviläinen was really good in the U-18s as well. So they're more than good enough at least, and should be some of the top goalies in the tournament if they perform like they have thus far. As far as the comparison goes... it's not a fair standard IMO :laugh: .

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'd say Kähkönen and Vehviläinen's status is about on par how the tandem of Saros-Husso looked before the 2014 tournament.

Whether they'll be as highly cherished afterwards, is of course still up in the air.

Also, Hintz again as captain for these upcoming practice games. Aho and Sopanen with A's. At this rate, I'd say in the final team the C will be sewn either on him or Rantanen (if available). Other one will get an A and Aho looks a good candidate for the remaining letter unless Jalonen wants to give one to a d-man. Sopanen and Tuulola both look good to me for that.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How many CHL players is projected, for Finland's world junior roster.?
Newest Jääkiekkolehti reported on, that Otto Somppi,Juuso Välimäki,Markus Niemeläinen and Petrus Palmu are all along into speculations for participating in home U20 WJC's.

Saarijärvi,Lammikko, Nättinen and Juolevi will be into team for sure.
But how Somppi,Palmu,Niemeläinen and Välimäki.

Somppi,Niemeläinen and Välimäki are born 1998.
So their, main junior WJC's in this season are, U18 WJC's into Grand Forks next April.

But these upcoming U20 WJC's, will organized in Helsinki.
So of course they ( Niemeläinen,Välimäki, Somppi and including Palmu) want play there, just like everyone else Finnish U20 prospects.

Also we have to remember that this is once in lifetime chance, for 1998 born to play under 20 yrs old junior world championships into home ice.
We must realize that It could take several years, before Finland hosting U20 WJC's next time.

Palmu Nättinen Laine was, Finland's leading scoring line in U17 national team.
And the dominated games into U17's, so they have chemistry's already and they know each other.

Why Finland's not worthwhile even try, to get this scoring line back together upcoming home world juniors.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Yes, it's an unique opportunity for the current generation, but we still have about double the necessary amount of guys vying for spots in this squad. So many will be left out no matter how hard their personal desire to make the team is.

Niemeläinen and Välimäki aren't necessarily plenty worse than most of the other names in speculation, but neither are they obvious upgrades. And given how both are still cageheads, it's safe to presume that barring injuries, their time will come later.

Somppi is an interesting name, and has had a good start for the season in his club team. Regardless, I don't see room for him in the best possible scenario either. But it wouldn't take too many injuries to our default centre selection before he'd become a delectable name.

Then there's Palmu. The thing is, he'd need to be in a scoring unit to be of any use to this team. And when those roles are getting filled, he's currently maybe 10th or 11th name down the list of wingers suitable for said roles. His skills and production in the earlier age groups is not an argument, since he obviously wasn't as hampered by his size as he would be among the U20s, most of whom have grown men's bodies already. And while the raw skill could make up a bit, he obviously isn't Johnny Gaudreau. The only excuse to have him would be that he gets to ride in on his old linemates' coattails, and that would mean an individual who is far more deserving to make it gets dropped out of the lineup. So again, barring injuries, no thank you.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Somppi is an interesting name, and has had a good start for the season in his club team. Regardless, I don't see room for him in the best possible scenario either. But it wouldn't take too many injuries to our default centre selection before he'd become a delectable name.

I'd say that at least Nättinen, Hintz, Lammikko, Kalapudas, Siikonen, Saarela, Miro Mäkinen, Honkanen, Gymer, Lämsä and Pitkänen are ahead of any 98-born centre forwards. Also, guys like Repo, Rantanen and Tammela can comfortably play in the middle if need be. That's 14 guys and I'm not even counting Ruotsalainen, Niemelä and Julius Mattila who are serviceable options for 4th line C.

A handful of injuries wouldn't change the fact that Somppi is in Jalonen's et cetera folder with guys like Patrik Virta and Henrik Borgström.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
A handful of injuries wouldn't change the fact that Somppi is in Jalonen's et cetera folder with guys like Patrik Virta and Henrik Borgström.
Agreed. Maybe that bit you quoted was a bit unclearly worded. I simply meant that I could see him and his playmaking abilities come up more often if we were to have a couple of injuries down the middle - especially if there is a division to be made between centers with offensive skill and those more suitable for bottom-six duty.

But even if that were to happen, he still wouldn't be someone with a punched ticket, merely another name to float around the bubble. With the current selection remaining healthy, he isn't even that.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Lineup yesterday.

Patrik Laine - Roope Hintz (C) - Aleksi Saarela
Matias Haaranen - Joni Tuulola

Sebastian Aho (A) - Antti Kalapudas - Jesse Puljujärvi
Niko Mikkola - Sami Niku

Jonne Tammela - Miska Siikonen - Sebastian Repo
Miro Keskitalo - Eetu Sopanen (A)

Joel Kiviranta - Miro Mäkinen - Kasper Björkqvist
Robin Salo - Manu Honkanen(13th forward)

Veini Vehviläinen
Emil Larmi

Repo

Puljujärvi

Hintz

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Nice game from Larmi tonight. Got a shutout. Stopped a penalty shot. And was absolutely on fire in the waning minutes, when Russia amped things up some and went all-out trying to beat him.

Certainly put himself on the map as far as picking the third goalie is concerned.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Also we have to remember that this is once in lifetime chance, for 1998 born to play under 20 yrs old junior world championships into home ice.
We must realize that It could take several years, before Finland hosting U20 WJC's next time.

It will be poetic, if some 1998 born win at home in the u20 world championships, as last home win was when Niklas Hagman scored the game winner from Olli Jokinen pass in 1998.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It will be poetic, if some 1998 born win at home in the u20 world championships, as last home win was when Niklas Hagman scored the game winner from Olli Jokinen pass in 1998.
But let's hope they don't actually fill the team with '98 borns in an attempt to maximize that chance.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Finland won Sweden too, with 4-1.

Jalonen made a bold move before the game by putting Aho to center the 1st line, and that paid off royally. He set up a pair of sweet passes for Laine to finish.

Also, it might also have solved the issue who ought to be our 3rd top line C, after Hintz and Nättinen. Not that I had no great qualms about Saarela or Kalapudas being ushered into the role, but Aho's performance here might just have washed away even whatever small ones I had.

Also, it opens an opportunity to stack the lineup even further, since thus far there's just not been a decent spot for Tammela despite him having made all the right moves to book his spot.

After today's action, here are my current thoughts of the final lineup...

Kähkönen
Vehviläinen
Larmi

Juolevi - Tuulola
Niku - Saarijärvi
Mikkola - Sopanen
Keskitalo

Rantanen - Hintz - Kapanen
Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi
Tammela - Nättinen - Repo
Lammikko - Siikonen - Kiviranta
Saarela

That... that might just be the best U20 squad we've ever had.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Some thoughts on todays game:

-Haaranen had huge problems with bigger forwards.
-Niku was just bad.
-Overall defense was better than i thought.
-Pace of game is gonna rice in WJC and then Sopanen and Keskitalo are just trying to survive there.
-Repo is just beast.
-I liked Siikonen a lot, he was just so much more noticeable in this game than any Pelicans game that i have seen this year.
-Björkqvist was great and father Tuulola told us that he is going to play NCAA next year.
-Saarela needs to get his game on or he drops from team.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
-Haaranen had huge problems with bigger forwards.
-Niku was just bad.
-Overall defense was better than i thought.
-Pace of game is gonna rice in WJC and then Sopanen and Keskitalo are just trying to survive there.
Based on the entire weekend...

-Agree about Haaranen. He was struggling through the entire time. My opinion of him went down a bit.
-Niku was somewhat inconsistent. He had his moments, but he can be better.
-Sopanen and Keskitalo weren't doing anything fancy, but keeping things simple is not a reproach against them. When a barebones DD is neither good nor bad, they're doing the very job coach is asking of them.

Overall, I'm glad you're seeing now that the defense is not at least the steaming pile of garbage you seemed to think it is.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Overall, I'm glad you're seeing now that the defense is not at least the steaming pile of garbage you seemed to think it is.
:laugh::laugh:

That defense is still too narrow for injuries. And i hope Jalonen invites Niemeläinen

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
That defense is still too narrow for injuries.
That I can agree on. It doesn't look great if any of the supposed six get sidelined before the tournament begins. (Well, it doesn't look great even if it happens after the puck drop, but by then it's too late to do anything about it.)

And I really don't see how Niemeläinen is a notable upgrade over anyone. He can dish the puck, sure, but he's still very raw otherwise - his basic defensive game, as evidence by his stats in the OHL and his U18 showings, still needs a plenty of work.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
That I can agree on. It doesn't look great if any of the supposed six get sidelined before the tournament begins. (Well, it doesn't look great even if it happens after the puck drop, but by then it's too late to do anything about it.)

And I really don't see how Niemeläinen is a notable upgrade over anyone. He can dish the puck, sure, but he's still very raw otherwise - his basic defensive game, as evidence by his stats in the OHL and his U18 showings, still needs a plenty of work.

How many ponits, Niemeläinen should have scored in OHL before he's useful guy in world juniors?.
Stats are only bunch of numbers, and wont tell the whole truth.

If Finland wants win gold medal, Finland's defense will need size and Niemeläinen has a size.
I don't care piece of ****, if he won't score at all in world juniors.

Only what matters is that, Niemeläinen plays hard and physical game every single match.
And he shows opponent teams, who's the boss in front of Finnish net.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
After today's action, here are my current thoughts of the final lineup...

Kähkönen
Vehviläinen
Larmi

Juolevi - Tuulola
Niku - Saarijärvi
Mikkola - Sopanen
Keskitalo

Rantanen - Hintz - Kapanen
Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi
Tammela - Nättinen - Repo
Lammikko - Siikonen - Kiviranta
Saarela

That... that might just be the best U20 squad we've ever had.

Aye, but Rantanen might be playing too well at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad