WJC 2015 - Roster Talk

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
I think Kinnunen and Rauhala were the bottom centers in Sweden, but Kinnunen played also as a winger a couple of games.
In my lineup Vähätalo and Kinnunen could change places.

Hintz has been on the right wing of Mustonen this season and it would be temptating to pair them up.
Hintz would probably be on right wing if he makes the team, but it is unlikely, he would be on a same line with Mustonen.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I don't see an spot for Kinnunen unless he plays well in practice games. He was good last year but he shouldn't make the team just becase of that.

I think in Jortikka's papers Aho-Kalapudas-Puljujärvi is one line, as of now, since it has worked so well in the past. Other guys need to step up if they want to get a spot over Aho or Kalapudas.

Lehkonen-Mustonen-Kapanen
X-X-Ikonen
Aho-Kalapudas-Puljujärvi
X-Rauhala-Ojamäki

Saarela, Hintz, Vähätalo, Kinnunen, Rantanen and Lammikko are propably the only real candidates for the final 4 forwards spots. Perhaps Lämsä or Björninen too.

master4071

Nov 30, 2011
Come on, I don't think that 97 born Aho is locked only because he played well with those guys at U-18 level in the past...although Kalapudas coulde be interesting option for 3C...

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
By the way... What's with Jonatan Tanus? He was some short of a junior star with potential to become an NHLer before he went to OHL.
At the moment he is playing in the fourth line of Mestis team LeKi, wich is a farm club for FEL team Tappara.

I noticed he hasn't growth since he was 15. His height has been 174cm/5'9 since then. This could have affected in his development, but still I think he would have been better player offencively in Mestis before he left for OHL, than he is now.

Has anyone any info on him? How has he looked on the ice, what happened to him etc.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Team for tournament in Czech Rebublic in 6-8.11

G

Ville Husso, HIFK
Juuse Saros, HPK

D

Miro Keskitalo, TPS
Mikke Levo, Ilves
Joonas Lyytinen, KalPa
Aleksi Mäkelä, Ilves
Atte Mäkinen, Tappara
Sami Niku, JYP
Joni Tuulola, HPK
Teemu Vuorisalo, Ässät

F

Sebastian Aho, Kärpät
Roope Hintz, Ilves
Juuso Ikonen, JYP
Antti Kalapudas, Kärpät
Kasperi Kapanen, KalPa
Artturi Lehkonen, Frölunda
Aleksi Mustonen, Ilves
Niko Ojamäki, Ässät
Jesse Puljujärvi, Kärpät
Mikko Rantanen, TPS
Aleksi Saarela, Ässät
Julius Vähätalo, TPS

More or less what everyone has expected. Kinnunen and Rauhala are with the U19 team.

http://www.leijonat.fi/uutiset/tuor...ajaryhmassakin-mukana-maailmanmestareita.html

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Jortikka has selected teams this season without surprises. I like it.

Yeah. Looks good.

Looks like Patrik Laine is blacklisted or something as he isn't with any of the U17, U18, U19, U20 teams.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Yeah. Looks good.

Looks like Patrik Laine is blacklisted or something as he isn't with any of the U17, U18, U19, U20 teams.

Seems a nasty punishment. Sometimes examples are needed though. Thinking what he accomplished last year in the u17 it seems like such a waste. Hoping the ban isn't of season length or longer.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
That team looks pretty close to the one that will end up traveling to Canada, especially the offense (and the goalies). Who do you think will be cut in favor of Honka and Lintuniemi from the D?

Jortsu says Honka's agent has promised him that he will be available for the WJC. I don't know if an agent can actually make a promise like that though.

Seems a nasty punishment. Sometimes examples are needed though. Thinking what he accomplished last year in the u17 it seems like such a waste. Hoping the ban isn't of season length or longer.

If he learns his lesson, it will be worth it in the long run. It should be obvious to all parties that he will get another chance sooner or later.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
That team looks pretty close to the one that will end up traveling to Canada, especially the offense (and the goalies). Who do you think will be cut in favor of Honka and Lintuniemi from the D?

Jortsu says Honka's agent has promised him that he will be available for the WJC. I don't know if an agent can actually make a promise like that though.

I think Levo and Niku are the most expendable. Lyytinen, Tuulola and Mäkinen are pretty much locks at this point IMO, the rest is still somewhat open. Another defenseman who still could make the cut is Moberg, who might have been kept outside this roster due to HIFK's injury trouble.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Niku and Vuorisalo most likely.

Not sure what Jortikka's plan is with Erik Autio and Mika Ilvonen since we already have plenty of small guys. Ilvonen has played with Mäkinen a lot in the past tournaments so if he makes it:

Ilvonen-Mäkinen
Lintuniemi-Honka
Tuulola-Lyytinen

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far

- There are 6 or 7 players in North America that are "actual" to this team, says that there are some quality D's there.
- Talks about the forwards on the challenger team; mentions Rauhala, Kinnunen, and "a few Liiga players".
- This team going to Czech Republic isn't necessarily the best possible, wants to see how certain players perform at this level.
- He sees that there are still 30 to 32 candidates.

----------------------

So maybe something along these lines... (A list of 37 candidates, so Jortikka has probably already dropped some of the names here)

Netminders (4):
1. Saros
2. Husso
3. Kähkönen
4. Lankinen

Defensemen (13):
1. Honka
2. Tuulola
3. Mäkinen
4. Lyytinen
5. Lintuniemi
6. Ilvonen
7. Niku
8. Mäkelä
9. Keskitalo
10. Levo
11. Autio
12. Vuorisalo
13. Saarijärvi

Forwards (20):
1. Lehkonen
2. Mustonen
3. Kapanen
4. Ikonen
5. Rantanen
6. Saarela
7. Hintz
8. Ojämäki
9. Vähätalo
10. Puljujärvi
11. Lammikko
12. Kalapudas
13. Rauhala
14. Björninen
15. Aho
16. Janatuinen
17. Lämsä
18. Hopponen
19. Kiviranta
20. Kinnunen

Last edited:

master4071

Nov 30, 2011
Who do you think will be cut in favor of Honka and Lintuniemi from the D?

Levo and Vuorisalo and maybe Niku, btw 7 or 8 d-man?

Only 12 forwards, so few guys from this U-19 team still in play...any chances for Janne Puhakka?

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
- There are 6 or 7 players in North America that are "actual" to this team, says that there are some quality D's there.

Honka
Lintuniemi
Ilvonen
Autio
Lammikko
Janatuinen (10g 2+8 USHL)
----
Saarijärvi (Right)
Hopponen
Parikka
Palmu

Anyone else? I didn't count Puhakka

Last edited:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Honka
Lintuniemi
Ilvonen
Autio
Lammikko
Janatuinen (10g 2+8 USHL)
----
Saarijärvi (Right)
Hopponen
Parikka
Palmu

Anyone else? I didn't count Puhakka

Puhakka has 4 points in 16 games so far this season. Not that stats are everything, but for a player of his type that's poor. Parikka isn't an option I think. There's no need for Palmu when we already have Ikonen and plenty of other skilled wingers.

So I'd guess...

Honka, Lintuniemi, Ilvonen, Autio, Hopponen, Janatuinen and Lammikko would make it 7. Then there's Saarijärvi who might be useful if Honka isn't available for some reason, they are similar puck moving D's that play with their right hand down.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Levo is very much undervalued in here. He has been pretty good in all the liiga games he has played in.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Levo is very much undervalued in here. He has been pretty good in all the liiga games he has played in.

Guys like Honka, Lyytinen, Ilvonen and Niku have more talent with the puck than Levo. On the other hand Tuulola, Mäkinen, Lintuniemi, Mäkelä and Keskitalo are more robust and probably better at battling in the defensive end than him. I think it's harder to find a clear role for Levo. Levo didn't stand out with his play at the 4-nations tournament in Sweden, so that goes against him as well.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Guys like Honka, Lyytinen, Ilvonen and Niku have more talent with the puck than Levo. On the other hand Tuulola, Mäkinen, Lintuniemi, Mäkelä and Keskitalo are more robust and probably better at battling in the defensive end than him. I think it's harder to find a clear role for Levo.

Well, but he has decent physicality. Gives nice hits and can drop his gloves if needed. Decent with the puck aswell. Folks here in Tampere claim he is clearly better player, than Mäkelä. They also claim he is clearly better than Järventie(in his team).

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Vähätalo has kind of fallen off the TPS roster, at least temporarily, as he's been playing with the U20's lately. Now that TPS has a deal with TuTo, I would think that's a better place for him.

I wonder if this has an effect on his WJC chances? At least he was still on the U20 roster for the upcoming tournament.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Well, but he has decent physicality. Gives nice hits and can drop his gloves if needed. Decent with the puck aswell. Folks here in Tampere claim he is clearly better player, than Mäkelä. They also claim he is clearly better than Järventie(in his team).

Levo is at the moment a better player overall, but Mäkelä has bigger upside especially in offense. Levo is tougher in the physical areas of the game.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I wonder if this has an effect on his WJC chances? At least he was still on the U20 roster for the upcoming tournament.
If he plays well in the NT, I don't see why he wouldn't still be in contention.

Levo is at the moment a better player overall, but Mäkelä has bigger upside especially in offense. Levo is tougher in the physical areas of the game.
Given how most open slots in D are for bottom pairs, Levo sounds like a nice fit.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Hintz having a good game, 0+3 in the first period. I don't see any reason why Mustonen-Hintz isn't a lock for WJC.

Really interesting to see how this fall affects his draft stock.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hintz having a good game, 0+3 in the first period. I don't see any reason why Mustonen-Hintz isn't a lock for WJC.
He's certainly creating us a very positive problem for right wing, since we already have Kapanen, Rantanen and Puljujärvi to book for the slot.

If we are to consider further player chemistries, I'm currently drawing this for our top-9...

Lehkonen - Saarela - Kapanen
Ikonen - Mustonen - Hintz
Rantanen - Kalapudas - Puljujärvi

The only drawback I see with that is that top-six lacks size. However, as it is good to keep in mind, size isn't everything. For example, while all players in the supposed first line are bit on the small side, none of 'em are physically weak.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
He's certainly creating us a very positive problem for right wing, since we already have Kapanen, Rantanen and Puljujärvi to book for the slot.

If we are to consider further player chemistries, I'm currently drawing this for our top-9...

Lehkonen - Saarela - Kapanen
Ikonen - Mustonen - Hintz
Rantanen - Kalapudas - Puljujärvi

The only drawback I see with that is that top-six lacks size. However, as it is good to keep in mind, size isn't everything. For example, while all players in the supposed first line are bit on the small side, none of 'em are physically weak.

Since when Lehkonen's been strong? I think he is as weak as they come - but just doesn't know it.

More seriously, the team doesn't look that bad. They can go to Canada heads up and defend the title with pride.

Only who the **** is this Kalapudas guy??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad