Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
For comparison's sake here are the forward lines I've been considering:

Lehkonen - Saarela - Kapanen
Ikonen - Vähätalo - Rantanen
Hintz - Mustonen - Puljujärvi
Lammikko - Rauhala - Ojamäki
Kinnunen

This gives us more of a 1A-1B-1C situation, which when properly used can be a big asset. It also keeps the connections I previously mentioned intact.

Talking about past connections which could be useful: Mustonen has played with both Hintz and Ikonen so that could be one line. Rantanen has played with both Vähätalo and Lammikko so that could be another line. Aho-Kalapudas-Puljujärvi have played a lot together in Kärpät and that line worked well in Jönköping. And then there's the line you already mentioned; Lehkonen-Saarela-Kapanen. Kapanen and Lehkonen know each other from KalPa, and Saarela has at least briefly played with Kapanen in the past.

No. I just wanted to create 3 equal scoring lines, with no more than 1 midget in each line. Of course Ikonen/Kapanen would play over Puljujärvi in PP.
If Puljujärvi makes the team there's a good chance he plays the point on one of the two PP units.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
If Puljujärvi makes the team there's a good chance he plays the point on one of the two PP units.

Yeah there are some good options for PP. Lots of RH shots and big guys.

Something like:

Kapanen-Rantanen-Saarela
Honka-Lehkonen

Ikonen-Hintz-Mustonen
Puljujärvi-Lyytinen

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Yeah there are some good options for PP. Lots of RH shots and big guys.

Something like:

Kapanen-Rantanen-Saarela
Honka-Lehkonen

Ikonen-Hintz-Mustonen
Puljujärvi-Lyytinen

Yeah, basically everyone in the top-9 is an option, and there are a lot of good puck-movers on D as well. Vähätalo could be a force in front of the net as well especially against other European countries. This abundance of options should be an asset as long as nobody feels entitled about it.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Wouldn't underestimate Puljujärvi regardless of the age. He seems beyond the years. Ahead of Barkov at the same age as far as I can see (thanks to superior skating). Should start up in top6 with PP time and if it doesn't work out then just move him to bottom 6. Then again, who can tell what the coach thinks is for the best and if he even gets a plane ticket. The team really does look better than I thought before the season and I'm already exctaticly waiting for these games ha!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If Puljujärvi gets a big slot and delivers, he'd basically be better than Crosby in a similar situation.

Would I love to see that? Hell yes. Do I think it's likely? As much as I'd like to say maybe, I have to say no, not very.

master4071

Nov 30, 2011
Maybe something like this:

Lehkonen-Saarela-Kapanen
Ikonen-Mustonen-Rantanen
Lammikko-Hintz-Puljujärvi
Vähätalo-Rauhala-Puhakka
Kinnunen

I would rather keep Ikonen and Mustonen together and Rantanen brings some size, so like it or not Saarela is 1C, third line with younger guys, who can surprise, like in previous years. I would take Puhakka to have a little more NA experience

Tuulola,Honka,Mäkinen,Lintuniemi,Lyytinen and two other guys as a defence

I'm very curious who will be starting goalie, but with games against USA and Canada we will definitely need both of them...

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Miro Keskitalo had a very impressive game vs Kärpät today. Played over 18 minutes on the second pairing with Nakladal. Could become a nice option for 5/6 defender as he is the type of defenseman we seriously need.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Miro Keskitalo had a very impressive game vs Kärpät today. Played over 18 minutes on the second pairing with Nakladal. Could become a nice option for 5/6 defender as he is the type of defenseman we seriously need.

Yeah, there are a lot of puck-movers in the discussion for sure. That last pairing is pretty up for grabs however, so every candidate is welcome at this point. With regards to that precise role, Eetu Sopanen seems like an interesting player as well. He's a huge '96 born defender and so far only played at the pro level this season and of course comes from a hockey family. Haven't really seen much of him, but he certainly has the frame for a bottom-pairing role(192cm and 102kg).

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
With regards to that precise role, Eetu Sopanen seems like an interesting player as well. He's a huge '96 born defender and so far only played at the pro level this season and of course comes from a hockey family. Haven't really seen much of him, but he certainly has the frame for a bottom-pairing role(192cm and 102kg).
Sopanen has played part of the season in juniors and he's taller than 192cm. Speaking of his chances of making the team, I think they are practically nonexistent. A rather disappointing start to the season from him.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Sopanen has played part of the season in juniors and he's taller than 192cm. Speaking of his chances of making the team, I think they are practically nonexistent. A rather disappointing start to the season from him.

Well that's disappointing. I saw at least one of his Liiga games and he looked pretty good, but I certainly trust your judgment more than just my "ooh there's a big kid playing with the pros!" logic-hunch-thing here :laugh:. Anyhow, lots of good candidates on defense so not that big of a deal.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Talking about big kids can anyone give somekind of update on Miro Karjalainen hows he doing havent seen him or in speculations. Listed as 6'6 (197cm) 5th rounder dallas draft pick from last year.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Talking about big kids can anyone give somekind of update on Miro Karjalainen hows he doing havent seen him or in speculations. Listed as 6'6 (197cm) 5th rounder dallas draft pick from last year.

He has only played 4 games in A-Juniors without any points. Must be injured or something.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Lehkonen - Saarela - Kapanen
Ikonen - Vähätalo - Rantanen
Hintz - Mustonen - Puljujärvi
Lammikko - Rauhala - Ojamäki
Kinnunen

Few years back our U20 team had 3-4 players, who had any FEL games under their belts. Seems kinda funny now.

master4071

Nov 30, 2011
Another impresive game by Joni Tuulola, so looks to me like we have five defenceman locked or close to be locked...

Honka, Lintuniemi, Mäkinen, Lyytinen and Tuulola...

Two spots open, Aleksi Mäkelä, Sami Niku, Miro Keskitalo probably the front runners...

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Two spots open, Aleksi Mäkelä, Sami Niku, Miro Keskitalo probably the front runners...
Sebastian Moberg is probably going to feature as well. HIFK's really struggling with injuries on their D right now so at least he should get to play a lot in the upcoming weeks.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Sebastian Moberg is probably going to feature as well. HIFK's really struggling with injuries on their D right now so at least he should get to play a lot in the upcoming weeks.

He's been pretty impressive in his second spell too. Playing with that "pelirohkeus" that the media loves, and actually bringing some physicality despite his frame. I am a bit concerned that we have too many offense-oriented guys on D though, but at the same time none of them are particularly bad defensively.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Thinking for a while, I came up with this:

Artturi Lehkonen - Aleksi Mustonen - Kasperi Kapanen
Mikko Rantanen - Aleksi Saarela - Juuso Ikonen
Julius Vähätalo - Saku Kinnunen - Jesse Puljujärvi
Juho Lammikko - Otto Rauhala - Joose Antonen

Joonas Lyytinen - Julius Honka
Mikke Levo - Atte Mäkinen
Alex Lintuniemi - Joni Tuulola

Niko Ojamäki/Roope Hintz, Aleksi Mäkelä

Mustonen has been very good this season and should fit at the first line. Puljujärvi offers depth in scoring.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Joonas Lyytinen - Julius Honka
Mikke Levo - Atte Mäkinen
Alex Lintuniemi - Joni Tuulola
Niko Ojamäki/Roope Hintz, Aleksi Mäkelä
Ojamäki and Hintz are forwards, but I think you know that and they're simply among d-men due to that weird positioning you used.

Otherwise that looks quite decent.

Could Teemu Kivihalme be an option?
Not under IIHF's current eligibility rules.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Could Teemu Kivihalme be an option?[/URL]

Thats a good question. I dont know whether he plays for, Finland, or USA.

Not under IIHF's current eligibility rules.

He has already played in IIHF tournament?

Ojamäki and Hintz are forwards, but I think you know that and they're simply among d-men due to that weird positioning you used.

Something went wrong with my post. I tried to CENTER the lineup and I left a blanc line between the D´s and extra players, but neither happened.

master4071

Nov 30, 2011
Jesse with another Liiga goal...I really like the idea to place him in the third line with maybe Lammikko and Hintz and they can create extra depth in the offense without big pressure...

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Jesse with another Liiga goal...I really like the idea to place him in the third line with maybe Lammikko and Hintz and they can create extra depth in the offense without big pressure...

I don't think he Hintz is going to play centre, as we have better options for that role with Mustonen/Vähätalo/Saarela/Rauhala/Kalapudas/Kinnunen

Lammikko and Ojamäki also have nice chemistry so spilliting them doesn't seem likely.

master4071

Nov 30, 2011
Honestly I don't like the idea to play Kinnunen as a 3C, rather prefer to have more size there, so if not Hintz, maybe Vähätalo...I don't think that Ojamäki and Kalapudas will make it...

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Moberg is soft and easily pushed around, I doubt he's a serious candidate this season.

Thinking for a while, I came up with this:
If I could change one thing about your roster, I'd kick Antonen out of the 4th line, not really a type of player you want to see in that role.

Honestly I don't like the idea to play Kinnunen as a 3C, rather prefer to have more size there, so if not Hintz, maybe Vähätalo...I don't think that Ojamäki and Kalapudas will make it...
Kinnunen has beem demoted to Mestis where he's been a 4th line centre lately. Mustonen, Saarela, Vähätalo, Kalapudas, Björninen, Hintz, Lämsä and Rauhala might all be ahead of him on Jortikka's papers. Apparently Lammikko has played as a centre at least in some games this season, so he could be one of the secondary options as well.

To me Ojamäki seems like an ideal 4th line RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad