Prospect Info: With the the 177th selection in the 2013 entry draft, the Ducks select Miro Aaltonen

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
About time we were going Finnish again!

From EliteProspects:
A fairly small forward, Aaltonen can play as a center or in the left wing. He is a goal-scorer with good puckhandling and creativity. He also has very good playmaking-ability and is a useful assett on the man-advantage. Aaltonen skates well and has decent top-speed. He works hard but lacks physicality and needs to add plenty of strength. The 2012/2013 season was an important one for Aaltonen who took a big step forward in the summer and started to get on the board regularily in the SM-liiga. However, he missed a great part of the 2nd half of the season after breaking his ankle at the World Junior Championships. (Matias Strozyk, 2013)

He scored 11 goals and 16 points in 33 in the Finnish top league this year, but he's also 20 years old already, so it's not his first year of draft eligibility. Again, a bit undersized, but talented.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I like this one. Part of the U20s and he showed some good upside. He's a bit on the small side but he already has pro experience in the SM-Liga. Actually one of the guys I wanted in this round. Even though I really wanted Emil Djuse.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
Here is what I wrote on the Draft thread:

I'm not sure about Aaltonen's NHL potential, but I do like him as a player. Smart, responsible, and skilled. I guess you could say there is some similarities between him, and former Ducks finnish draft pick Petteri Wirtanen.

Jul 1, 2012
He looked really good in the WJCs before he got injured. I'd like to see him come over to play in the AHL next year

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
He's not actually very far off from guys like Markus Granlund talent-wiseat this point. He's had a couple of serious injuries, but he's bounced back both times and especially last season was great from him development-wise. He has a nice scoring touch, is a good skater, works hard and leads. Good package for a 6th rounder IMO.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
He's not actually very far off from guys like Markus Granlund talent-wiseat this point. He's had a couple of serious injuries, but he's bounced back both times and especially last season was great from him development-wise. He has a nice scoring touch, is a good skater, works hard and leads. Good package for a 6th rounder IMO.

Agreed. Either he makes it as a top 6 player in NHL or he doesn't make it at all. Would like to see him in Norfol in Autumn.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
That's not saying much, though. Wirtanen had a cup of joe and that's it, if I remember right.

I was just saying he reminds me of him when they were the same age. Wirtanen was just bigger and better defensively, while Aaltonen is more talented offensively. They are hard-working players and they both have a good understanding of the game.

Agreed. Either he makes it as a top 6 player in NHL or he doesn't make it at all. Would like to see him in Norfol in Autumn.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean obviously he isn't ever going to be a 4th line bruiser or anything, but I could see him making it as a top9 forward, maybe in a similar role as Vladimir Sobotka plays for the Blues.

And I agree, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Norfolk this season.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
I was just saying he reminds me of him when they were the same age. Wirtanen was just bigger and better defensively, while Aaltonen is more talented offensively. They are hard-working players and they both have a good understanding of the game.
IMO Aaltonen is twice faster than Wirtanen also much better offensively in every category.

Silent Quacker

Jul 26, 2013
Thought I'd bump this thread

Our late pick had a nice start in FEL. Hat-trick in the first game. 5th in league scoring. Given that only so few games played and his team has played more games than most other teams. But still. Playing against "professionals"

GP G A P +/- PIM PPG SOG %
7 4 2 6 -1 0 2 16 25,0

I was so excited that we got him so late. I thought he was one of the best scorers in last finnish junior team. Even with such first rounders in the same team as Barkov, Teravainen, and Granlunds.

Might be that we never see him as a duck but you never know.:sarcasm: Quite one-dimensional player and small. All offence and little anything else. Good in european style hockey, but that transition to NA is always a big question mark.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Miro getting some love in NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771379

"the organization may have uncovered a diamond in the rough in center Miro Aaltonen (2013, No. 177), who continues to impress in Liiga, Finland's top professional league"

Miro had strong season and will play in the top team Kärpät next season. One of the best clubs in whole Europe. Though he is already 22 but players have been late bloomers even in older years. Kemppainen for example signed to Boston from Kärpät at 27.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=44162

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

"the organization may have uncovered a diamond in the rough in center Miro Aaltonen (2013, No. 177), who continues to impress in Liiga, Finland's top professional league"

Miro had strong season and will play in the top team Kärpät next season. One of the best clubs in whole Europe. Though he is already 22 but players have been late bloomers even in older years. Kemppainen for example signed to Boston from Kärpät at 27.

Yeah, it's a shame he isn't our prospect anymore. If Bob wanted to hang on to his rights, he should've signed him by now. Now it looks like Aaltonen will take the Donskoi route.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Yeah, it's a shame he isn't our prospect anymore. If Bob wanted to hang on to his rights, he should've signed him by now. Now it looks like Aaltonen will take the Donskoi route.

Theoretically we can still sign him but so can the other 29 teams. Considering our lack of center depth in the minors it's very telling to me that we didn't sign him right now. I mean he may just really like to play in Finland but I have little doubt the Ducks aren't the team he'd prefer to play for in the NHL. But that's a big long-shot anyway.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

That's the first time I've heard of him referred to as a potential gem. I wonder what changed.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Why did Ducks walk away from Aaltonen is beyond me
last 3 seasons : 16G+20A (+6) | 17G+23A (+12) | 16+23 (+12)

Singed this season to KHL (1 year) 2 games played
1 game winning goal and 2 assists.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Why did Ducks walk away from Aaltonen is beyond me
last 3 seasons : 16G+20A (+6) | 17G+23A (+12) | 16+23 (+12)

Singed this season to KHL (1 year) 2 games played
1 game winning goal and 2 assists.

I guess he could have let the Ducks know that he had no intentions of coming over back then. He wouldn't have made the money he has working himself up in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad