Line Combos: With the possibility of Kadri suspended...

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
After watching this game...nobody wants Martin really!?!?!

Martin can't handle the speed/skill of this game. Boston's 'physical/tough' guys are all skilled and fast. If the 4th line gets caught in a line mismatch again like they did this game, we'd be so screwed.

We lost not because of physicality but because we were so slow and lacked skilled plays, the opposite of what the Leafs are known for. Come back with more speed and skill.

If Kadri's suspended:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Kapanen* - Marleau - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Johnsson - Plekanec - Komarov

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Oh I want Martin in the lineup but hey maybe that is just me...you can disagree.

" Taking out someone who can skate and replacing him with Matt Martin" how about " Another skilled forward who can skate added to the Leafs but the Bruins continue to dominate the boards/puck/intensity etc

I would prefer a tough nosed player who can score and rustle some feathers but we don't have one they are rare.

What does Matt Martin offer you in this series?

A punch? A facewash or two after the whistle? A guaranteed silly penalty and getting skated around in the few minutes he's on the ice?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

A punch? A facewash or two after the whistle? A guaranteed silly penalty and getting skated around in the few minutes he's on the ice?
It offers you kadri not having to take on that roll. Babcock basically bestowed that upon a known hot head and you have your results.

Guys like Martin are exactly what teams need in the playoffs. It's war. This is on Babcock. Kadri gets 3 imo

Reactions: Cams

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Matt Martin has only ever played against other teams 4th lines. Even if he was dressed Babcock wouldn’t dare have him out on the ice against the Bruins top lines because he’s a liability on the ice against skilled guys.

Taking skill off the Leafs 4th line is the last thing that needs to happen, we need them scoring goals if the Bruins are going to shutdown Matthews like this

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
I do not want Babcock to change the lines too much. But I could see Komarov moving up to the "Kadri" line.

Hyman - Matthews- Nylander
Komarov - Marleau - Marner
JvR - Bozak - Brown
Johnsson - Plekanec - Kapanen

The Plekanec line looked good with Johnsson and Kapanen; they were speedy and defensively sound. Not a big fan of Komarov, but you guys know that Babcock likes him, and moving him up is something he definitely would do.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I can't see Babcock not punishing one of the kids with 4th line minutes after that game.

He already does that with Kapanen.

They’ll just bring in Moore for 4C and bump Plekanec up the lineup

The idea of Komarov or Plekanec being given a bigger role is a ghastly thought, and unfortunately a strong possibility.

Martin can't handle the speed/skill of this game. Boston's 'physical/tough' guys are all skilled and fast. If the 4th line gets caught in a line mismatch again like they did this game, we'd be so screwed.

And yet, Martin probably possesses more speed/skill than Komarov at this point.

Reactions: saffronleaf

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto

It still does work he can draw a penalty or two also....I would prefer we had a more skilled type of Martin but we don't. This team shouldn't have a issue with scoring and speed regardless of Martin or Johnsson but they do have an issue with toughness/grit

Reactions: Cams

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It offers you kadri not having to take on that roll. Babcock basically bestowed that upon a known hot head and you have your results.

Guys like Martin are exactly what teams need in the playoffs. It's war. This is on Babcock. Kadri gets 3 imo

Matt Martin doesn't deter physical players from opposition teams playing physical hockey in the playoffs.

This is on Kadri for not keeping his head, not on the coach.

It's hilarious that you think Matt Martin has any influence in this series.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It still does work he can draw a penalty or two also....I would prefer we had a more skilled type of Martin but we don't. This team shouldn't have a issue with scoring and speed regardless of Martin or Johnsson but they do have an issue with toughness/grit

He's going to play 7 sheltered minutes. He won't have time to agitate.

Did you see the way Boston matched the Leafs 4th line tonight?

Twice, they managed to get the Bergeron unit out against the Plekanec line, and that line absolutely ran riot on that line - the second shift of which led to the Pastrnak goal late in the 2nd.

How exactly does Martin change that course of play?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
leo up to 2nd line duhhhh

leo - marleau - marner
I really might off myself if this happens.

My lines would be

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Nylander-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Johnsson-Plekanec-Leivo

Break up our 1st line so Boston has to choose between shutting down Matthews or shutting down Nylander/Marner.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Oh I want Martin in the lineup but hey maybe that is just me...you can disagree.

" Taking out someone who can skate and replacing him with Matt Martin" how about " Another skilled forward who can skate added to the Leafs but the Bruins continue to dominate the boards/puck/intensity etc

I would prefer a tough nosed player who can score and rustle some feathers but we don't have one they are rare.
Martin is absolutely useless. Can't defend, can't shoot, no good offensively. You're willing to sacrifice everything for a few late hits(thats what he does) every game? he's a liability out there. No room for that.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
No Martin. We need speed and skill in the lineup and stay away from the goon game. Let the Bruins take the silly penalties.

It was 3-1, we have the lineup to tie it. Instead these guys played the whole period short handed.

Oh god no Moore either. He takes worse penalties than Polak.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
All though Kadri was one of the few that actually seemed to give an effort, he cant be doing stuff like that especially with him being one of our veterans.
We can still win this series without our 2nd best C, but we need to play our style.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Johnsson - Marleau - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Plekanec - Kapanen

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If we do lose Kadri for 1 or more games, there is only 3 options that could happen (most to least likely): Marleau moves to C, Nylander moves to C, Moore draws in.

If it's one of the first 2 options (likely), Johnsson will draw in.

Babcock is not going to experiment with new things for the first time this season. We've had multiple injuries where we switched our line-up and Babcock isn't going to do something different than the things he tried in the regular season.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Johnsson - Marleau - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Plekanec - Kapanen

Kadri comes out. Marleau moves to the middle. Johnsson takes Marleau's spot on the wing. Simple. All the other lines get to stay intact.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
And yet, Martin probably possesses more speed/skill than Komarov at this point.

That's hilarious. Komarov is much better than Martin right now, it's not even close. Even though Komarov's offense has turned garbage, his defense is much, much better than Martins. I get that it would be nice to be tougher but Martin is far, far away from being the solution.

Our 4th line becomes a liability with Martin on it. Against other 4th lines? He's great. Against Boston's top-3 lines? He's a big liability.
Johnsson is much better defensively, offensively and faster. And we want to trade that in for a guy who can only play tough/gritty?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
No Komarov on the PP. Matthews, Nylander, Bozak, Kadri, Nylander. even Hyman and Kapanen gotta playing before Komarov. And those 7 guys have priority as forwards and I'm assuming Marner is the right point playing.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Johnsson in. Marleau moves to C. I bet it ends up being

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Komarov Marleau Marner
JVR Bozak Brown
Johnsson Plekanec Kap

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Johnsson-Matthews-Hyman
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Marleau-Nylander-Marner
Martin-Moore-Kapanen

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Marleau Marner
JVR Bozak Brown
Komarov Moore Kapanen

Makes sense but I doubt they sit Pleks. Leo and Pleks need to sit more. Increase the TOI of the first 2 lines. Maybe spell Johnnson, Brown and Marner with Kappy in order to increase his TOI.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No Komarov on the PP. Matthews, Nylander, Bozak, Kadri, Nylander. even Hyman and Kapanen gotta playing before Komarov. And those 7 guys have priority as forwards and I'm assuming Marner is the right point playing.

yeah I wonder if Hyman gets a shot, perhaps on Matthews unit. Kapanen can play with the 1st group

JVR-Bozak-Kapanen
Rielly-Marner

Hyman-Matthews-Brown
Gardiner-Nylander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad