Prospect Info: With the 9th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Vitali Kravtsov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The team's head coach was asked about Kravtsov being a scratch. His answer was essentially what you stated: they brought 5 sets of 5 players (2D+3F) and they wanted to provide game action to all. Kravtsov is the youngest on the roster, if I'm not mistaken.

A couple of days ago he told that Kravtsov is talented, but has really a lot of work ahead of him, which was considered by a lot of people as a diplomatic form of rather harsh criticism.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A couple of days ago he told that Kravtsov is talented, but has really a lot of work ahead of him, which was considered by a lot of people as a diplomatic form of rather harsh criticism.

Lol, Russian coaches are generally not known for "diplomatic" form of communication.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

None of which is surprising for those who have been listening to reports on this kid for the last six months and not just the information they want to hear.

Kravtsov is an incredibly talented player, arguably one of the most talented prospects in his draft class. But there are a lot of times those pieces don't come together as often or as smoothly as one would like to see.

It's one of the reasons that while I love his ability, I've been hesitant to rank him ahead of other prospects who also have upside and have tapped into that upside in their post draft years.

I'm in agreement with his coach --- Kravtsov has quite a bit of work ahead of him. And if we put down the pom-poms and tone down the annual post-draft, new toy excitement, that observation being confirmed, yet again, should not be a surprise to anyone paying attention.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think anyone is expecting Kravstov to be either a finished product or in the same tier as guys like Eichel, Pettersson, Hischier etc.

This is a senior Russia team. Not a team that's in the Summer Showcase with players in his age group. It's not a disaster if he doesn't play there. He has a long way to go still, as any 18 year old has. I'm just happy he has gotten the opportunities with the senior national team in the last 8 months. That alone is a great accomplishment for a teenager.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
None of which is surprising for those who have been listening to reports on this kid for the last six months and not just the information they want to hear.

Kravtsov is an incredibly talented player, arguably one of the most talented prospects in his draft class. But there are a lot of times those pieces don't come together as often or as smoothly as one would like to see.

It's one of the reasons that while I love his ability, I've been hesitant to rank him ahead of other prospects who also have upside and have tapped into that upside in their post draft years.

I'm in agreement with his coach --- Kravtsov has quite a bit of work ahead of him. And if we put down the pom-poms and tone down the annual post-draft, new toy excitement, that observation being confirmed, yet again, should not be a surprise to anyone paying attention.

Not sure what you're trying to say here in the bolded or how Kravtsov is different from other prospects about "a bit of work ahead" them.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not sure what you're trying to say here in the bolded or how Kravtsov is different from other prospects about "a bit of work ahead" them.

When ranking Kravtsov, there was definitely a tendency to view him as being further along than he was at this point. Likewise, I think there was this expectation that the skill level and upside were so high that they trumped any and all concerns, and that said upside was worth more than the actual accomplishments of players like Andersson, and (within reason), Shestyorkin.

Most comments about just how much work this kid still had to do were usually glossed over as we drooled about highlight video packages and Russian hockey politics and his play when he was on fire.

My warning then, as it is now, is that there are a number of significant holes in Kravtsov's game.

I'm not saying these holes are going to be deal breakers for him, and he's not alone as a teenage prospect with holes in his game, but I think we need to be careful before we strap too much of a rocket ship to this kids ass and start ranking him ahead of certain guys, or calling him the best forward prospect we've had in 20 years, or putting him in the same sentences as some of the names that have been dropped, or declaring Kravstov a better prospect but then some of the more talked about names we passed on.

Granted, we do that with a lot of our top prospects. But there was definitely more of it than usual with Kravtsov.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
When ranking Kravtsov, there was definitely a tendency to view him as being further along than he was at this point. Likewise, I think there was this expectation that the skill level and upside were so high that they trumped any and all concerns, and that said upside was worth more than the actual accomplishments of players like Andersson, and (within reason), Shestyorkin.

Most comments about just how much work this kid still had to do were usually glossed over as we drooled about highlight video packages and Russian hockey politics and his play when he was on fire.

My warning then, as it is now, is that there are a number of significant holes in Kravtsov's game.

I'm not saying these holes are going to be deal breakers for him, and he's not alone as a teenage prospect with holes in his game, but I think we need to be careful before we strap too much of a rocket ship to this kids ass and start ranking him ahead of certain guys, or calling him the best forward prospect we've had in 20 years, or putting him in the same sentences as some of the names that have been dropped, or declaring Kravstov a better prospect but then some of the more talked about names we passed on.

Granted, we do that with a lot of our top prospects. But there was definitely more of it than usual with Kravtsov.

Hmmm, I just didn’t see or noticed the sentiment about Kravtsov being a more ready-to-step-in prospect compared to other draftees this year, if anything this was a sentiment pertaining to Andersson.

On the other hand, as @Amazing Kreiderman noted , the comment was made in contrast / context to performance of “adults” on a 2nd National Team, not his contemporaries U20. Quite a bit of a difference compared to criticism laid upon certain American prospect.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Well at least he wasn't good against men in KHL preseason, it's better than Whalstrom's shitty show in the WJSS.

To be truthfull, I wouldn't read too much in some preseason action in both cases.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hmmm, I just didn’t see or noticed the sentiment about Kravtsov being a more ready-to-step-in prospect compared to other draftees this year, if anything this was a sentiment pertaining to Andersson.

On the other hand, as @Amazing Kreiderman noted , the comment was made in contrast / context to performance of “adults” on a 2nd National Team, not his contemporaries U20. Quite a bit of a difference compared to criticism laid upon certain American prospect.

Don't disagree at all and didn't mean it as a specific comparison between the two.

Wahlstrom has his own issues to work on, which were also talked about prior to the draft. The reports on his camp are equally unsurprising.

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Don't disagree at all and didn't mean it as a specific comparison between the two.

Wahlstrom has his own issues to work on, which were also talked about prior to the draft. The reports on his camp are equally unsurprising.

Which is why they were selected around the same spot. People need to realize that the players in this range all had warts

Reactions: jas and TheTakedown

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its preseason. Who cares?

Shestyorkin let in four goals the other day. Does he also suck? Should we remove both from the lists constructed by this section the last month?

Reactions: TheTakedown

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think the back and forth about Kravtsov coming over to NA this year or not. Maybe made people think he's ready to step in now.

He's talented but young and just had his "breakout" at the end of the season in the KHL. Let's just let him develop

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think the back and forth about Kravtsov coming over to NA this year or not. Maybe made people think he's ready to step in now.

He's talented but young and just had his "breakout" at the end of the season in the KHL. Let's just let him develop

Yes, and hockey fans need to realize that on average 3 to 5 players make the NHL and play 10+ games the season following their draft.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I was exaggerating that. Why are we criticizing anything about preseason? He didn't play much. So what? This isn't even his actual team. This is the Russian National Team.

Not really sure if anyone is criticizing him either. At worst, we're coming back around to the opinion that was more widely expressed before he was drafted by the Rangers --- that the kid has quite a bit of work to do.

I think there's a middle ground to be found here. We don't have to sic the firing squad on the kid, but he's not a sacred cow either. He can be both talented, and a significant work in progress. Though it's that latter that some people seem to get funny about.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Which is why they were selected around the same spot. People need to realize that the players in this range all had warts

But, Wahlstrom will kill the Rangers as an Islander and Kravstov is the next Jessiman something something...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
But, Wahlstrom will kill the Rangers as an Islander and Kravstov is the next Jessiman something something...

I can't believe we passed up on Jordan Schroeder in 2009
I can't believe we passed up on Mark McNeill in 2011
I can't believe we passed up on Stefan Matteau in 2012

;)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I can't believe we passed up on Jordan Schroeder in 2009
I can't believe we passed up on Mark McNeill in 2011
I can't believe we passed up on Stefan Matteau in 2012

;)
...and yet for every one of these types of posts there are an equal amount or more of posts about Tarasenko, etc. that are spot on.

Sometimes our scouts get it right, sometimes they don't.

It's everyone's prerogative to be concerned if they choose and not just about Kravtsov, but Andersson and anyone else. Especially when these prospects are vital to the NYR returning to winners.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
...and yet for every one of these types of posts there are an equal amount or more of posts about Tarasenko, etc. that are spot on.

Sometimes our scouts get it right, sometimes they don't.

It's everyone's prerogative to be concerned if they choose and not just about Kravtsov, but Andersson and anyone else. Especially when these prospects are vital to the NYR returning to winners.

Sure, sometimes people are right, sometimes people are wrong.

But in the first 3 years it's really difficult to tell. What annoys me is that certain people talk about prospects sometimes as if they are correct each year. It's the same song each year, but recently these songs come with a chorus of "we should have traded up uhu uhu"

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

He was a bigger reach than that 2nd rounder we picked 7th OA last year.

I think we should riot. :scared:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think there's a middle ground to be found here. We don't have to sic the firing squad on the kid, but he's not a sacred cow either. He can be both talented, and a significant work in progress. Though it's that latter that some people seem to get funny about.

What's actually the "a lot of work" he needs to do? As far as I can tell it's just this feeling of uncertainty since he didn't play a ton during the regular season, didn't put up a lot of points, and then exploded in the playoffs. So we have a small sample size of great success and a larger body of "eh" results but supposedly low icetime, so...it's harder to tell where he is in his development.

I guess ultimately it's just the question of "can he take that playoff success and continue forward with it and become a go to forward for his team this year, and then come over next year and continue to improve and show he's a top prospect" which in some ways is a standard set of questions for a young prospect playing in a pro league overseas

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What's actually the "a lot of work" he needs to do? As far as I can tell it's just this feeling of uncertainty since he didn't play a ton during the regular season, didn't put up a lot of points, and then exploded in the playoffs. So we have a small sample size of great success and a larger body of "eh" results but supposedly low icetime, so...it's harder to tell where he is in his development.

I guess ultimately it's just the question of "can he take that playoff success and continue forward with it and become a go to forward for his team this year, and then come over next year and continue to improve and show he's a top prospect" which in some ways is a standard set of questions for a young prospect playing in a pro league overseas

Just for reference, and to add a little nuance to the "he didn't put up a lot of points", a comparison to other players in their D-1 year in the KHL/RSL

Kucherov: 0G, 2A in 9 games
Kuznetsov: 2G, 6A in 35 games
Malkin: 3G, 9A in 34 games
Ovechkin: 13G, 11A in 53 games
Tarasenko: 13G, 11A in 42 games
Radulov: 0G, 0A in 1 game
Dadanov: 1G, 1A in 24 games
Panarin: 1G, 8A in 20 games*

*For Panarin I used the year he was first draft-eligible

Reactions: pdogfizzle
Status
Not open for further replies.