Prospect Info: With the 7th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Lias Andersson

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
NYR have an interesting history here
Both Step and Hayes came to camp as rookie C's and never left
IF he earns it, it will be good if he stays
I agree, part time ice time wont help him,
but if the coaches (and vets) work with him, and AV keep throwing him out there,
he could be embedded top 8 F by Olympic, err, AllStar break

Stepan made his debut 2 years after being drafted, Hayes 4 years after being drafted. How are we comparing this to Lias possibly making the team this year?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No, they're not even the best team in the SHL. Poster is biased

If you consider SHL rosters, they have the most talented by some margin.

The best team doesn't win every year. Thats part of the playoffs format.

I have no reason to be biased. Why would it matter to me if Andersson's team was #1 or #2? And he just played for what I would guess you'd claim is the best team, so I don't see your point here. :laugh:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Frölunda has high hopes for him this season (and they will likely use him in a bigger role provided he earns it), but also feel that he may be gone to NA sooner than later. They know he is real good and see a young super talent in him. Almost a bit like the hype I felt in 1990 when the question was if Mats Sundin was leaving Djurgården (not at all comparing the players - basically just the chatter) or not.
Not sure how I feel about this. He will likely come out trailblazing at camp, but what about in early February? Otoh if we keep most of our fwds he will learn a lot here. Interesting scenario to say the least. Really happy with this pick as we did not snag Patrick at #3 which was the master plan. That went up in smoke early though

Last edited:

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
I see Lias as our second line C in Frölunda right now. I think he'll get a chance to prove he should have that role right from the start. 5 on 5 we tend to give the lines about equal amouts of ice time though, but I'd be really surprised if he doesn't play PP. Knowing Roger Rönnberg, Lias could see some ice time in PK as well.

And while we have a talented roster, I doubt we'd be a great team in KHL, maybe somewhere in the middle of the pack. I never want to see us in that league though.

Last edited:

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
If he's ready, why should he get 10-12 here? Vesey played 13:38 in his rookie season producing as a 13th forward.

If he's ready and he's getting 10-12 here, its even more reason to fire the coach.

That was some nice jumping to conclusions. Sure.

Also, Center is different than Wing.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Hayes got 13 mins a game his first year and scored 45 points, then 13:40 a game the next year. Only this past year in his 3rd year did he get 16 mins a game.

JT Miller in 26 games in 2012-13 got 13:30 per game; but in 13-14 just 11:27 per game in 30 games, and then in 58 games in 14-15 got 12:42 per game. The past 2 seasons he played full 82 games and got 15:02 (15-16) and 16:22 (16-17) per game.

If Lias makes the team, then great, but to expect he would get more than those numbers...

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Also, 9 forwards had a higher ATOI than Vesey last year. That would make him 10th forward going by that. Also, Buch was above 13 mins ATOI as well...

My original point was that, would he really get much more experience playing in the SHL? He wouldn't have much more minutes. Worth saving a year of is ELC?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
DraftBuzz Hockey rated #7 exact on the dot - hands down my favorite prospect in the draft and my rank against industry shows it. I have been defending this pick since Friday in the same fashion I defended Trent Frederic to BOS last year who later broke out in his freshman year with Wisconsin.

Scouting Report: SHL champion had an impressive pro campaign in Sweden as an underappreciated draft prospect…played with men and looked like one of the vets coming to the rink with a hardnosed yet skillful game…defensively responsible, offensively inclined, no inch of the ice goes untouched with him…the type of kid that thrives in pushing back against contact to make plays…loves to hit, loves to grind the cycle, loves to crash the net in both directions…beautiful skater who skates with weight to his stride and sinks into the cut with power…subtle stick skills from his puckhandling to shot to pass to vision + instincts…has a very sneaky shot that can get disrupted and still find it’s way in the net…underrated passer who can create his own lanes at top speed with maximum efficiency…great hand-eye coordination and can bat pucks out of air...hard to find flaws with such a well rounded player as top end concerns are unfounded…was underutilized at WJC but still found a way to score some…slam dunk second line centerman who is going to translate to the NHL with flying colors and potentially as soon as 2017.

A real gem, who I have been saying is similar to Sebastian Aho...just further along at the same point.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Most of us fans have come around on this pick aswell, very nice write up! :)

We were a bit down just after the pick because of all the rankings and the perceived lack of upside on Lias but most of us are coming around.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The issue is more than just Liam getting 16 min in SHL vs. 13 min in the NHL. In the SHL he will have more responsibilities in those minutes AND will be able develop offensive skills because the faster pace in the NHL would likely force him to take his full concentration on minimizing mistakes.

P.S. Frolunda is likely a top 10 European team but not near the top 2. After SKA and CSKA there are at least 3-4 KHL teams - Jokerit, Kazan, Ufa, Metallurg and Avangard etc that are probably marginally better.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
The issue is more than just Liam getting 16 min in SHL vs. 13 min in the NHL. In the SHL he will have more responsibilities in those minutes AND will be able develop offensive skills because the faster pace in the NHL would likely force him to take his full concentration on minimizing mistakes.

P.S. Frolunda is likely a top 10 European team but not near the top 2. After SKA and CSKA there are at least 3-4 KHL teams - Jokerit, Kazan, Ufa, Metallurg and Avangard etc that are probably marginally better.

Another year in the SHL, Frolunda has been a top team for a while, he has a fairly decent former NHL center playing on the top line there in front of him, and the time there didnt hurt Henrik or others that came over from Frolunda. And it saves a year on the ELC.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Frölunda has high hopes for him this season (and they will likely use him in a bigger role provided he earns it), but also feel that he may be gone to NA sooner than later. They know he is real good and see a young super talent in him. Almost a bit like the hype I felt in 1990 when the question was if Mats Sundin was leaving Djurgården (not at all comparing the players - basically just the chatter) or not.
Not sure how I feel about this. He will likely come out trailblazing at camp, but what about in early February? Otoh if we keep most of our fwds he will learn a lot here. Interesting scenario to say the least. Really happy with this pick as we did not snag Patrick at #3 which was the master plan. That went up in smoke early though

Woah. Interesting tidbit, BBKers. Are you certain that was the master plan?

Most of us were thinking they were trying to get Pettersson. (And I thought I remembered at least one report to that effect, no?)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Has the dust settled??

I can understand why some might have been upset about this pick, but this is not a bad pick at all, Andersson has underrated skills and his compete level is off the charts. These are the kind of guys you win with. I really like the pick.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Has the dust settled??

I can understand why some might have been upset about this pick, but this is not a bad pick at all, Andersson has underrated skills and his compete level is off the charts. These are the kind of guys you win with. I really like the pick.

I'll be happy with the pick if he turns into a 60 point two way center...a bit better Stepan would be nice

Will be interesting to see how his offense develops. From highlights he seems to have solid skills and while not flashy is able to make pro level hockey plays with the puck. There's one highlight that I really like where he receives a pass right in front of the net and very quickly moves to his backhand to get the goalie off balance and then roofs it. It's not a super fancy dangle everyone and the goalie play exactly but you have to have some very good hands to take that pass and transition to your backhand and roof it all that quickly and smoothly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad